Madness around Euro certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks:

The MB in the signature has been my first and possibly the last Euro vehicle.
What is this madness in certifications around these Euro vehicles, why all this numbering schemes and each one has their own.
Here its so simple choose the weight and you are done and come up with a 5K dino or 10K syn OCI and done. I haven't heard any American vehicle die or sludge out with the oils having sat on this forum forever.

Do Euro vehicles fail outside these certifications.? Pl. educate me, its driving me crazy, rather prefer pick a SN weight and move on,

Cheers

Everyone has their own specification now, FCA, Ford, Chevy - each has actually has several.

Did you really not know that or are you just trying to start another German-car bash thread?

For your application, all you need is an oil meeting MB Sheet 229.5.

Castrol Edge 0W-40, Mobil 1 0W-40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 are all decent oils that are widely available. 7 liters of oil, a quality fleece filter like Hengst, and you're good to go.
smile.gif

I don't see this being v. complicated, plenty of easy-to-find Euro-oils out there meet the requirements. Why is this hard to deal with vs. an American car requiring oil that sit right beside the Euro stuff on the shelf (or just get it online)? A 2018 MB? You probably are having that all handled at the dealer anyway...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TiGeo
A 2018 MB? You probably are having that all handled at the dealer anyway...

Well, it should be, but he decided that he'd rather ignore the service schedule and do his own thing.

I don't see this being v. complicated, plenty of easy-to-find Euro-oils out there meet the requirements. Why is this hard to deal with vs. an American car requiring oil that sit right beside the Euro stuff on the shelf (or just get it online)? A 2018 MB? You probably are having that all handled at the dealer anyway...

It's only complicated if you make a conscious decision to do so. My European cars all use LL-01. How difficult is that to wrap your brain around?

Originally Posted by Superflan
I've seen numerous TDI PD engines with advanced cam lobes wear caused by wrong oil (not VW 505.01/504/507 compliant)

yes but thousands more have failed using VW blessed oil

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237678

There are UOA with CJ X-40 oils with drastically lower wear than approved oils

Ultimately it is not whether the oil is blessed by one vehicle manufacturer or not, wear is controlled by the quality of the base oil, additives and viscosity.

To be honest there have been lots of non MB changes, such as Dexos D1G2, SN Plus, CK-4, etc. I would recommend take your spec with you and check the back of the bottle at the store until you find the right one or ask this forum. Is your spec really 229.5? That's quite an easy one to find. Even Walmart has it.
smile.gif

I've seen numerous TDI PD engines with advanced cam lobes wear caused by wrong oil (not VW 505.01/504/507 compliant)

Ive seen that wear from using APPROVED 5/30 dealer oil its whole life. PDs need a 40 weight or better.

And yes this isnt really that bad, there are so many off the shelf oils that meet the specs that your gasser needs, and most of them meet every spec out there, BMW, Porsche A40, 229.5, VW 502/504 etc etc etc. $54 for 2 jugs and a $12 filter isnt really that bad for a 60k truck. Or, for science, run supertech for 5k and see what happens. I bet youll be fine if you dont push it, but is it really worth voiding the warranty.

Last edited:
I feel the opposite way. I really like all of the various approvals. It guarantees a level of quality for the oil going in your engine far and above the baseline standards (API or ACEA). Takes the guesswork out of oil selection.

OP:

There has been the MB 229.5 spec that has remained for about 10 years. And all the other specs, SL, SM, SN, SN+, Dexos 1, Dexos 2, etc., seem to change a couple of times per year.

The oil required for your MB is a very simple choice and it's easily found.

Scott

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls

yes but thousands more have failed using VW blessed oil

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237678

There are UOA with CJ X-40 oils with drastically lower wear than approved oils

Ultimately it is not whether the oil is blessed by one vehicle manufacturer or not, wear is controlled by the quality of the base oil, additives and viscosity.

And there are thousands of gasoline Euro cars (VWs) driving around for 200K using whatever crap the quick lube joints put in...

It's pretty simple, if it's listed on the site below, it's an approved 229.5 oil and you can use it.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

To make it simpler, this forum tends to like Castrol 0w40, meets MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01. Mobil is the preferred vendor of MB and that's what you get at the dealer, but Mobil 1 0w40 has MB 229.5 and not LL-01 which is why people prefer Castrol over Mobil. I would use either depending on whatever is on sale. Mobil always has a good $12 rebate twice a year and with 10k oil changes, that should be enough to get you through your ownership.

And there are thousands of gasoline Euro cars (VWs) driving around for 200K using whatever crap the quick lube joints put in...

Originally Posted by edyvw
So, OP threw the bone and never replied.
Probably bit challenging for him to understand it.

I think his mind was already made up that the choice of MB oil was a complicated one.

Scott

It may be more of a disappointment with the vehicle itself that translates into everything associated with it. When I was in his shoes, I just took my loss, not a big deal. Those are not what they are cracked up to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back