Made the switch from 2 to 4 cycle…….

Highboy

Site Donor 2022
I finally decided to get a new snowblower this year. Went with a Toro 821 QZE to replace my old CCR 2000 that was a gift when I bought my first house about 25 years ago. Besides paddles and scraper bars, it’s been a great machine. It with be passed on to my daughter as she just moved in to a new house by us. I pulled it out of storage today and after some fresh pre-mix, 2 pulls and it started right up. I hope the new Toro holds up as good as the old one.
8CD06703-D03B-4B89-937B-4DC27103D8A8.jpeg
F914A0F1-FC6B-4EB0-A599-7E8362094F2F.jpg

I have a ccr-2450 from 1992, I will be upgrading shortly this year or next. Comprehensive feedback after you use it a few times would be appreciated.

I know I want electric start.. mainly for the first start of the year.. but I'm not sure if I care to pay the extra for the 8hp vs 7hp motor or the remote controls vs manual.

Also pull starting can be a drag when its -10f out.. alot harder than at 75f of course.

Last edited:
I have a ccr-2450 from 1992, I will be upgrading shortly this year or next. Comprehensive feedback after you use it a few times would be appreciated.
I’m looking forward to see how it compares to the older one. I ordered the new one from Torodealer.com. They ship I believe right from Toro. Free shipping. Prices where $60 less than stores around me. Easy to assemble and comes with oil too.

I’m looking forward to see how it compares to the older one. I ordered the new one from Torodealer.com. They ship I believe right from Toro. Free shipping. Prices where $60 less than stores around me. Easy to assemble and comes with oil too.
I'm showing 849 for the 821qze on that website?

home depot has the 721qze for $699 which quite oddly is the same price as the 721E

Currently I can get 12% back at home depot probably will go up to 18% for black friday might buy then.

edit: home depot appears to not carry any of the 821 series.. not even shipped.

Looking at the excellent condition of that 25 year old machine........ you are a good fit at BITOG.

I, too am interested with how the new machine will compare.

Take care.... from a former Crown Point Hoosier neighbor.

Last edited:
The new one has a weird design....almost as if the body doesn't fit the motor. I bet it's a beast tho .

I'm showing 849 for the 821qze on that website?

home depot has the 721qze for $699 which quite oddly is the same price as the 721E

Currently I can get 12% back at home depot probably will go up to 18% for black friday might buy then.

edit: home depot appears to not carry any of the 821 series.. not even shipped.
It was $799 last Sunday when I ordered it. https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/ I was looking here also and the prices jumped over last weekend. Getting close the snow time and maybe low inventory are causing the price jump. HD had the 821 last Friday and Saturday morning there where none to be had.

The new one has a weird design....almost as if the body doesn't fit the motor. I bet it's a beast tho .
The other is the 141CC rtek with internal gas tank(prone to cracking several recalls).

The new one has a fairly massive 252cc with top gas tank and rear exhaust.

Is there a way to put a fuel shutoff on the new one? Looks more challenging vs on the Rtek
you just cut a fuel line that was in the rear and connected it to inline shutoff valve.

Have an old Toro , 2-stroker…….probably 30 years of age, or older at this time….***** to start in extreme cold, but break out the Starting Fluid an the old’ Dame starts right up…….We don’t call it the “Red-Bull” for nothing

I have and still use an old 20" Toro CCR I label as a dingy. It is so old, it doesn't even have a deadman lever. It still throws snow over 20 feet.

I did the same exact thing last winter. My CCR2000 from 1987 was getting tired and I decided it wasn't worth rebuilding the engine. I purchased the same model Toro and it's a beast. I love the torque of the 4 stroke engine.

I did the same exact thing last winter. My CCR2000 from 1987 was getting tired and I decided it wasn't worth rebuilding the engine. I purchased the same model Toro and it's a beast. I love the torque of the 4 stroke engine.
Mine was getting weak.. put the tach on it and jacked the governor up 1200rpm.. super easy just bend it...throws snow like banshee again. But it has terminal Cancer (rust).

Primer bulb has disintegrated, the off switch has corroded into failure.. and in general its in poor shape except for the engine and paddles.

But hey a little puff of compressed air and still starts on second pull.. definitely going to be retired soon though. If it wasnt so crusty from near 30 years of use I'd fix it up but at this point be way better off with another used unit or new.

mmm...I love the smell of 2 smokes in the morning...

my CCR2450 is rocking 20 years and looks brand new. I use it 10x as often as my big Ariens 2 stage. Love the sound and smell of a 2 stroke.
(bump up the speed from 3800 rpm to 4000 and you pick up an extra hp...that was the difference in the higher and lower hp motors from Toro..a few hundred rpm of motor speed)

Enjoy your new one..252cc's should be able to move some snow.

mmm...I love the smell of 2 smokes in the morning...

my CCR2450 is rocking 20 years and looks brand new. I use it 10x as often as my big Ariens 2 stage. Love the sound and smell of a 2 stroke.
(bump up the speed from 3800 rpm to 4000 and you pick up an extra hp...that was the difference in the higher and lower hp motors from Toro..a few hundred rpm of motor speed)

Enjoy your new one..252cc's should be able to move some snow.
I have a CCR PowerLite for the deck. The advantage of the 2 stroke is it's much lighter, and they do sound cool. The 2 strokes put out a decent amount of torque for their size. I prefer the PowerLite for the deck because my 721R can be a bit heavy to lug up the deck stairs. With that said the 721R is much quieter to operate, and it has more than enough power. I've had it in heavy slush and the engine barely noticed. I find the Toro single stage to be faster, and clean down to the pavement much better than the 2 stage blowers, allowing the driveway to dry out in the sun much quicker.

I have the 721R and am very happy with it. One thing you will like is the shoot control. I see my neighbor always stopping and walking around to adjust the aim which takes time, for the distance I rarely have to change that. With the bigger engine I'm sure it will do just fine.

I think the electric start on these is a waste of money. Mine starts first pull no matter how cold it has been, pull the choke hit the primer bulb 3 times and pull.

I mainly like the electric start if the old gas was left in.. had a poolan pro at the inlaws that you just fired up the electric starter a couple times at 15sec and boom it started.. without electric 100pulls later I was out of energy to snowblow.

Seems like the 721qze made it to national backorder.. I finally got a deal on home depot gift cards and they are out of stock on everything except the 721E that was the same price.. well maybe one more winter for my oil burner toro.

Back