Toro snowblower issue - what to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toro 2-cycle snowblower, circa 1997, that has an issue I'd like to fix when I finally get it out of storage. A few years ago I put on new paddles and scraper bar and the engine still runs fine, but the problem I have is that I have to really push the handle and tilt it forward to get it to pull itself forward (even at that I'm still muscleing it around). I'm pretty sure the rubber paddles haven't reached the wear indicator hole, and I'm wondering if maybe the scraper isn't installed correctly (it looked OK to me).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Note that the scraper on some models has been superseded by a newer part number. I have a Toro from maybe 2012 and found that when I was overhauling it recently. The newer scraper has a slightly different shape but the same attachment points.

Originally Posted by Variant_S
Note that the scraper on some models has been superseded by a newer part number. I have a Toro from maybe 2012 and found that when I was overhauling it recently. The newer scraper has a slightly different shape but the same attachment points.

Thanks. With it still being hot here, I haven't even attempted to get the snowblower out of the shed yet (more like extricate it, lol), so I haven't even looked at it since last winter but I know it's not working like it used to (I had to basically lift the rear wheels off the ground and push the thing like a lawnmower.)

Here's one other solution. Go down to the local hardware store and get a new one. Here they are lined up in mid September in Windermere, BC.

F698D5F0-FFE4-4AC7-B63C-26131E8D0F97.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here's one other solution. Go down to the local hardware store and get a new one. Here they are lined up in mid September in Windermere, BC.

All I see in that picture is shiny garbage compared to a properly working Toro 2-stroke.

OP:

Did you buy OEM paddles? Some of the aftermarket ones are not long enough to reach the ground. Same with the scraper blade, some stick out further causing the paddles not to touch and propel the machine.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

All I see in that picture is shiny garbage compared to a properly working Toro 2-stroke.

OP:

Did you buy OEM paddles? Some of the aftermarket ones are not long enough to reach the ground. Same with the scraper blade, some stick out further causing the paddles not to touch and propel the machine.

I thought most 2 strokes were small single stage jobs? The photo at least has two stage setups.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

OP:

Yea, bought them at the local Toro dealer. I have to wonder if I somehow didn't install the scraper correctly and it's making the blower sit back too far (?). My local dealer is a ripoff, but as I recall they had the parts in stock when I bought them a few years ago (if they aren't in stock they order them and then charge the customer for shipping
eek.gif
)

And to the above poster, yes it's a single stage, rubber paddle type machine. Probably not capable for some climates, but it's perfect for where I live where some years I may only use it once or twice all winter (only once this last one). Only the occasional heavy (read: wet) snow causes it to struggle. It's easy to handle and doesn't take up much room in the garage.

Just a followup for any future searches:

The problem was indeed that the scraper was installed incorrectly. On the drive belt side of the housing there is a small bracket to secure one of the 3 bolts, and that bracket apparently made getting the housing edge into the scraper slot all but impossible. The result was the scraper was projecting forward about 1/4" beyond the correct orientation. I remember struggling with it several years ago and just screwed up. The rear bottom edge of the housing must fit into the slot on the plastic scraper (seems obvious now, lol).

Anyway, this caused the paddles to wear unevenly (side/side) and the unit didn't even sit evenly on the back part (scraper to ground). I put on new paddles and installed a new scraper correctly (had to bend the bracket down a bit to facilitate, get the scraper seated, then tightened the bolts and in the process bending the bracket back into the correct position). The unit sits flat now and is ready for winter.

^ Nice! Thanks for the follow up on that. I've resurrected a few different single stage jobs for folks and the only one in my experience that's worth fixing up are Toros. I've currently got a late late 90's early 2000's Ariens 2-stroke. Put a lot of $$$ into it between OEM rubber auger assembly, scraper and new wheels and it still doesn't work nearly as well as a Toro 2-cycle thrower.

Originally Posted by JTK
^ Nice! Thanks for the follow up on that. I've resurrected a few different single stage jobs for folks and the only one in my experience that's worth fixing up are Toros. I've currently got a late late 90's early 2000's Ariens 2-stroke. Put a lot of $$$ into it between OEM rubber auger assembly, scraper and new wheels and it still doesn't work nearly as well as a Toro 2-cycle thrower.

I was just speaking to friend yesterday about the Toro's. I bought mine new in 1997 and when it's apart there's really nothing that shows signs of severe wear or damage. Sure, you have to occasionally replace normal wear out items but not frequently at all. They're so simple in design. The only problem item I've had with the engine was the muffler mounting bolts came loose and by the time I got it apart they'd compromised the internal threads on the engine. A couple of inserts, a little locktite and they're still tight and solid.

Guys over at the snow blower forum love those old Toro 2 cycle single stage blowers and actually seek them out to rebuild. I have newer one and love it, use it most of the time but also kept my old 2 stage for the heavy stuff, nice to have both.

I just picked up a late 80s Toro CR20E with the Tecumseh AH600 2 stroke engine for $20. It looks a little rough, but that Tecumseh fires right up with either the pull start or electric start. Now every piece of my OPE is 2 stroke powered!

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by Donald
Two stage is the way to go for any significant amount of snow.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Guys over at the snow blower forum love those old Toro 2 cycle single stage blowers and actually seek them out to rebuild. I have newer one and love it, use it most of the time but also kept my old 2 stage for the heavy stuff, nice to have both.

I find the little Toro much easier to manuever and operate and it takes up less room in the garage. Only on a few occasions over 20 years have we had a snowfall that it really struggled with. Several years ago we had about 10" of heavy, wet snow that it just couldn't move - bogging and belt squeeling. I ended up borrowing my neighbor's 2-stage. But those events are uncommon around here.

One thing I noticed when the cover was off was the "spit cup" on the carburetor. I knew these didn't have air filters, but I'm surprised bugs never invaded in the intake during the long summer storage in the shed.

I grew up with one of those little Toro 2 strokes..great little blowers! A few years ago I bought 2 rough ones and combined them into 1 good machine. Gave that one away but wanted to replace with another 2 stroke so found a nice, lightly used Toro CCR 2450 with the RTek (Lawnboy Duraforce?) . Love that motor! This thing is a beast!

I've found the best plan is to have a good 2 stroke for the regular, light snow and have a big 2 stage as backup for the big snows. Probably use the Toro 90% of the time and use the Ariens the other 10%.

But, yeah, a nice running 2 stroke, for regular snowfalls, is tough to beat!

Yep the Toro CCR 3450 is a nice machine for sure. I had the CCR 3650 6.5 hp R-Tek that was stolen, if I find another or the 2450 I'm buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back