Mach E problems...

Only Ford I'm interested in is the new Bronco... in about 5 years once they work it's kinks out. The Mach-E... I seent it, it's tiny. I guess I'd get one... if I had somewhere to plug it in.

Reactions: Job
First of all, I don’t care if anyone disagrees with me and wants to argue against what I’m saying.

As others have said, every manufacturer has mishaps. It is what it is in the automotive business. I’m not defending Ford and I’m not bashing Ford because quality issues (however you want to define that) happen with literally every brand.

Regarding Tesla when they first came out. The first Roadster they built was a garbage vehicle, they sell in the used market for close to $100k even with dead batteries. The Model S build quality is lacking in many ways but Tesla has the cool factor. There’s no need for me to delve into why Tesla is the cool kid on the block since I’m sure anyone with a pulse can figure it out. When you plop down six figures on a vehicle you’re entitled to brag about it and dismiss its shortcomings. The reason is because Tesla is a status symbol, and people who buy a status symbol product are very unlikely to remark about its short comings. For it to remain the top status icon it needs to come across as a flawless product. Something that no ordinary person can obtain. Btw, the Tesla forums have plenty of users reporting issues.

Back to Ford, why are some of you STILL bringing up the 2020 Ford Explorer issues? The build quality issues were very early in the product run and Ford corrected the issues over 1.5 years ago. I can’t quite recall but wasn’t it 5,000 early build units that had build issues and were fixed? Time to start beating to a different drum.

issues can happen and that’s why Quality Assurance checks are supposed to be in place. Assembly should ensure that the proper part is selected and installed properly with no chance to do it wrong. That’s why robots are prevalent because they can do repetitive tasks more efficiently.

If your defect rate is such that you have to put up tents in a parking lot to fix vehicles that just came off the assembly line then a prudent solution would be to fix the problem where it happens and not later.

I would have hoped we had learned from the 70’s. Apparently we are headed back that way in more ways than one.

This is what happens when a so called legacy automaker with legacy automaker production facilities, employees and mindset suddenly realizes that they should be competing in a market that they should have started in at least 5 years ago.

I suspect that when GM also decides to manufacture something similar to the Mach E it will also be a kludge of several existing designs and not a modern, state of the art design built at a modern, state of the art production facility. And will most likely be a mediocre product with plenty of negative issues.

As far as Chrysler ? Yeah maybe we'll see a PT Cruiser-E and I'll bet that will be a winner too.

While the big three are trying to figure it all out, especially where the capital is going to come from, Tesla will still be several years ahead.
Then we may see Congressional hearings about the alleged bribes that those automakers paid to politicians to pass some type of legislation protecting them from superior competition. Or to ensure that billions of taxpayer dollars are funneled into their companies because they are "too big to fail".

If your defect rate is such that you have to put up tents in a parking lot to fix vehicles that just came off the assembly line then a prudent solution would be to fix the problem where it happens and not later.
Good point.
If you are referring to Tesla putting up tents in 2018 to get the Model 3 production on track, you may be interested to know the problem was with the robots breaking down. They could not keep the line running and were nearly out of business. Musk was nearly broke and put the tents up as a Hail Mary pass to save the company.
The rest is history.

"We don't have time to build it right but sure have time to fix it later" is a Big 3 strategy.
Tesla is and has alway been an agile company. That's one of their strengths, unlike the big guys.

Last edited:
Ive spent a bunch of time on the mach e forum simply because Im interested in the car.

I fully expected electronics problems and its got them.

What I did not expect were coach building problems.
Misalignments, to the point of broken windows and sunroofs.
A recall for loose bolts in the frames although only for 75 units - still ridiculous.

These issues are an unexpetcted nasty surprise for a company thats got 100 years + in coach building experience and frankly there is no excuse for this.

Ford even delayed the product to make sure the quality was right.
"We continue to build and ship vehicles every day, but we’re doing so with a meticulous attention to detail and dedication to quality. Your vehicle timing was impacted by more than one of these quality checks," he wrote."

Not sure was inspecting these...Ray Charles maybe?

3.JPG
PXL_20210324_230108570.jpg
F82AB5C6-BFEE-4174-8051-5055415C1AB1.jpeg

Ive spent a bunch of time on the mach e forum simply because Im interested in the car.

A recall for loose bolts in the frames although only for 75 units - still ridiculous.

These issues are an unexpetcted nasty surprise for a company thats got 100 years + in coach building experience and frankly there is no excuse for this.

Ford even delayed the product to make sure the quality was right.
"We continue to build and ship vehicles every day, but we’re doing so with a meticulous attention to detail and dedication to quality. Your vehicle timing was impacted by more than one of these quality checks," he wrote."

Not sure was inspecting these...Ray Charles maybe?

View attachment 53448View attachment 53449View attachment 53450
Saw those, definitely surprised me too!

Tesla is a pure play EV company, with years of experience and billions of miles of data under their belt.
By far the best software. Huge charging infrastructure.
That coupled with their market cap power dwarfs any other car company.

Remember, other car companies have multiple divisions competing for scarce resources. Tesla not so.

The new factories coming on line will produce the best, most advanced EVs money can buy.
I'm absolutely convinced Tesla has the best batteries. When purchasing an EV, I truly believe the battery quality should be chief among the criteria. The only thing that could mitigate a battery quality issue is an epic warranty. Which we are not seeing in many cases.

Ford offers a battery warranty of 8 years or 100K miles, with no less than 70% capacity. The Mach E is rated at 270 miles... Meaning after 8 years it is warranted to go 189 miles. YIKES.

By way of comparison, this is the "highway range" at 80MPH of my 2018 F150 2.7 Ecoboost, and I PROMISE, 10 years down the road it will still go 665 miles per tank of fuel:

YZtnhr6.jpg

No surprise there. You should have read the Mustang forums when the S550 Gen 6 Mustang came out in fall 2014. Lots of panel and rear window glass misalignment issues. It did seem to get better as time went along. Like said, if you want a first year model wait until near the end of the production year for some assembly line growing pains to get smoothed out.

Ford can’t make enough to meet demand, getting great reviews. Tesla stock owners do not like it. Every Mach E is one less Tesla they think. They want to make more money at a 700 billion valuation, ten times General Motors. Which itself is pretty high.
Guy drove his cross country, liked it more than his Tesla I believe. He got death threats. Think about why people are doing that.

It's a VERY nice driving car, and the interior is significantly nicer than the Model 3 (I've driven both). Tesla definitely has the leg-up on software, but Ford is better than Audi, and I assume they are partnered with Microsoft, so they probably have some serious legs on the software front (unlike Audi).

Here's our RX F Sport seats... Really, really great seats.
View attachment 53487
Colour and perforation remind me a bit of the SRT seats:
IMG_0308.jpg

But they seem to have larger bolsters.

Biggest difference I can see is that the SRT centre console is entirely leather-clad whereas the Lexus one appears to be leather on the top trim only.

That was one of the things that PO'd me about the Audi e-tron, the door panels had significantly more plastic on them than Jeep panels, which are completely leather.

So your seats are better than mine...right... I put red tape on mine...lol
I dig them...like the red.
On the RX, red is only available on the F Sport models.
Sue wanted a white on red RX450h F Sport. Hard to get. She loves it.
The F Sport ain't squishy, which makes it a much better driver in my opinion.
Of course I am used to the TSX, GS350 F Sport and the Model 3. All handle flat.

By the way, I find Lexus interiors confusing, complicated and just too much after driving the Tesla.
There is beauty in simplicity. It is very Japanese minimalist. Like a messy desk vs a clean desk.
And the Model 3 seats are excellent.

Of course, the Model 3 needs HUD and side mirror blind spot monitors.
The Lexus blind spot monitors will spoil you, in a good way. A huge safety factor.

Last edited:
This interior is all business, all go; no fluff. No key, no key fob, no nuthin'. Just get in and go.
Except the brake pedal. Don't need it.

Click the right steering wheel button. "Navigate to 302 Enzo, San Jose." or "I'm cold." Done.
There isn't even a button for the glove box. Ha! Elon's whack.

Oh yeah; it's fast. Right now fast...
1618012494746.png

Last edited:
Back