Mach E problems...

Toyota would never have them type of problems never 🤓

Ford Quality control is trash look what happen to the 2020 explorer. But we must buy and support American they said so we have to deal with it .
Toyota has it issues. The 5.7 V-8 in
my Tundra that is known to be “bullet proof” has been around for nearly two decades and it has suffered from a cam tower leak the entire time. It can happen with as few as 15k miles. Even though the fix is a PITA because it’s not catastrophic they’ve done nothing to address it.

Brand new model, brand new technology, first year production, probably rushed to market - the perfect storm, so these issues are to be expected. This vehicle is meant for early adopters and trend setters who should know what they are signing up for. All others should wait a few years before buying one.

Also, software QA is very time consuming and a major PITA in general, not just for a car manufacturer. That's why software versions never stop at 1.0. Hopefully Ford is quick to roll out the necessary fixes and updates.

Last edited:
Brand new model, brand new technology, first year model, probably rushed to market - the perfect storm, so these issues are to be expected. This vehicle is meant for early adopters and trend setters who should know what they are signing up for. All others should wait a few years before buying one.
This.

Brand new model, brand new technology, first year production, probably rushed to market - the perfect storm, so these issues are to be expected. This vehicle is meant for early adopters and trend setters who should know what they are signing up for. All others should wait a few years before buying one.
Right up there with the newest Wrangle during the first year. That thing was a turd!

I see a lot of new Explorers around. Sound nice, look nice as I am walking by. The new bigger Bronco with a 7 speed manual and the 310 hp 2.3 liter four is something I would seriously consider for the base cheapest model. Willing to discard ev desires for that one. The Mach E will be just fine, forum reporters or not. I never get too excited about people complaining on forums about a car. They do it practically on everything. Prius no good this and that. Best car I had. Camry burn oil this and that. Mine didn’t. Sludge monster this and that. Not mine. Have at it forumeers. Try to change it your way by talkin’. 😄

Also, software QA is very time consuming and a major PITA in general, not just for a car manufacturer. That's why software versions never stop at 1.0. Hopefully Ford is quick to roll out the necessary fixes and updates.
Probably true. But remember the Tesla haters saying, "Wait till the big boys jump in."
So far, the big boys have struggled. I hope they did not rush to market; that is always a mistake.
You are right about software. It is expensive and slow to develop. And Ford is not known as a software company.

You just might be making the case Tesla is 10 years ahead of the competition. Can they catch up?
Perhaps companies will end up licensing software from Tesla? It has been considered...
Tesla is an agile company with world class market cap strength. Ford is the opposite.
Don't get me wrong, I was hoping for a good, quality product to give Tesla some competition.

Probably true. But remember the Tesla haters saying, "Wait till the big boys jump in."
So far, the big boys have struggled. I hope they did not rush to market; that is always a mistake.
You are right about software. It is expensive and slow to develop. And Ford is not known as a software company.

You just might be making the case Tesla is 10 years ahead of the competition. Can they catch up?
Perhaps companies will end up licensing software from Tesla? It has been considered...
Tesla is an agile company with world class market cap strength. Ford is the opposite.
Don't get me wrong, I was hoping for a good, quality product to give Tesla some competition.

I’m not sure Ford was ever considered a power player in this. Folks may not like GM, but I suspect that AGM has better battery technology, and more know how. Ditto Toyota and VW.

So I’m not sure Ford is the best indicator. It just got a lot of attention because it was called a Mustang instead of a C-max.

And after all, the OP was linked to the issues and TSB sub forum. So of course it’s going to be chock full...

I’m not sure Ford was ever considered a power player in this. Folks may not like GM, but I suspect that AGM has better battery technology, and more know how. Ditto Toyota and VW.

So I’m not sure Ford is the best indicator. It just got a lot of attention because it was called a Mustang instead of a C-max.
I really think Ford had the right idea. A reasonably priced electric SUV. Smack dab in the middle of the hottest vehicle market.

Never buy a new car in it’s first year of production.
This ^^. Though my mother in law's 2019 Jetta (first year of MKVII) has been great save for 2 recalls (no issues with her car, just preventative). Hers was an early 2019 model, built in 2018. Not all manufacturers have these kind of flaws, at least not on a widespread level.

Never buy a new car in it’s first year of production.
Unfortunately the old saying seems to hold in this case.
Sometimes I think this is a horrible statistic.
Ford is a legendary company that started making cars in 1903.

I just don't get it.

Unfortunately the old saying seems to hold in this case.
Sometimes I think this is a horrible statistic.
Ford is a legendary company that started making cars in 1903.

I just don't get it.
GM and Chrysler have similar problems. My dad was born in 1926. He was a diesel and automobile mechanic by training. He worked at a Ford dealership, for Trail Ways Bus and civil service for USMC. He always said to never buy a new car in it’s first production run. He said that usually the third year of the production run was the most reliable.

I really think Ford had the right idea. A reasonably priced electric SUV. Smack dab in the middle of the hottest vehicle market.
I would agree with that. Probably a better platform with more profit potential. But I still just don’t see Ford as one of the power (ha, ha) players in this.

I would agree with that. Probably a better platform with more profit potential. But I still just don’t see Ford as one of the power (ha, ha) players in this.
Tesla is a pure play EV company, with years of experience and billions of miles of data under their belt.
By far the best software. Huge charging infrastructure.
That coupled with their market cap power dwarfs any other car company.

Remember, other car companies have multiple divisions competing for scarce resources. Tesla not so.

The new factories coming on line will produce the best, most advanced EVs money can buy.

First of all, I don’t care if anyone disagrees with me and wants to argue against what I’m saying.

As others have said, every manufacturer has mishaps. It is what it is in the automotive business. I’m not defending Ford and I’m not bashing Ford because quality issues (however you want to define that) happen with literally every brand.

Regarding Tesla when they first came out. The first Roadster they built was a garbage vehicle, they sell in the used market for close to $100k even with dead batteries. The Model S build quality is lacking in many ways but Tesla has the cool factor. There’s no need for me to delve into why Tesla is the cool kid on the block since I’m sure anyone with a pulse can figure it out. When you plop down six figures on a vehicle you’re entitled to brag about it and dismiss its shortcomings. The reason is because Tesla is a status symbol, and people who buy a status symbol product are very unlikely to remark about its short comings. For it to remain the top status icon it needs to come across as a flawless product. Something that no ordinary person can obtain. Btw, the Tesla forums have plenty of users reporting issues.

Back to Ford, why are some of you STILL bringing up the 2020 Ford Explorer issues? The build quality issues were very early in the product run and Ford corrected the issues over 1.5 years ago. I can’t quite recall but wasn’t it 5,000 early build units that had build issues and were fixed? Time to start beating to a different drum.

I've bought quite a few 1st year model vehicles and motorcycles over the years, and only a few have had one or two minor issues. These were 1st model years, but I bought them over half way through the production year so some issues seen on the first units out were fixed in production. If you're gonna buy a 1st year vehicle, at least wait until half way through the production time frame and get one near the end of the production year.

At least software fixes are easier than mechanical fixes. If Ford does OTA updates I don't know what could be less painful.

Well, the good news is that I don’t bash Tesla. (Cars are fine, issues with suppliers is another story) Since I actually know a few of the folks that worked on the Mach E, and can tell you that this came a long way. They have struggled, but are quickly getting better and working those bugs out. I’ve driven one- find them pretty cool and a bit funky. I’m actually excited to see the electric F150.....that will be cool.....

I've bought quite a few 1st year model vehicles and motorcycles over the years, and only a few have had one or two minor issues. These were 1st model years, but I bought them over half way through the production year so some issues seen on the first units out were fixed in production. If you're gonna buy a 1st year vehicle, at least wait until half way through the production time frame and get one near the end of the production year.

At least software fixes are easier than mechanical fixes. If Ford does OTA updates I don't know what could be less painful.
I meant that bugs are often difficult to catch during QA.

Back