Mac question

I have a 2013 Mac that the operating system can no longer be updated. It's on Catalina 10.15.7 and I'm finding software that doesn't support it. Turbo Tax is the latest. Question is can I buy a Mini Mac and use my present Mac as the display? Can I connect via USB from the Mini to the old Mac and use it as my display??

I'm going to assume this is an iMac, otherwise the question is irrelevant.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

Based on reading that, it doesn't sound like there is Official Support if you get a brand new Mini.

9 to 5 Mac

Luna or Duet Display may be the trick. Sidecar or Airplay would be frustrating for different reasons, but frustrating nonetheless.

For the cost of the Luna dongle, you could almost buy a perfectly suitable monitor.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume this is an iMac, otherwise the question is irrelevant.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

Based on reading that, it doesn't sound like there is Official Support if you get a brand new Mini.

9 to 5 Mac

Luna or Duet Display may be the trick. Sidecar or Airplay would be frustrating for different reasons, but frustrating nonetheless.

For the cost of the Luna dongle, you could almost buy a perfectly suitable monitor.
Thanks. Well this looks like it's for older Mac and OS's. I want to purchase a fairly new Mini Mac and use this late 13 iMac as a monitor. It's looking like the newer Mini and OS won't work with my present iMac??

As said, yes it's possible using target display mode.

The new Mini should have an HDMI port to connect the display. Get an HDMI to Mini Display Port adapter and then a mini-display port(mDP) cable. Alternatively you can use one of the USB-C/TB ports and put a USB-C to mini-DP adapter in it. You're looking at $20-30 in cables and dongles from Amazon or Ebay, so on the whole a pretty reasonable amount of money(IMO) to reuse a great display.

I used an old iMac like you have as a display for a long time for one of my Mac Mini. However, it became a hassle since every time the iMac decided it needed to restart or have some sort of issue, you had to connect the keyboard and mouse to that device to reenable Display Mode. It was a great monitor as far as it went but as time moved on it just became more trouble than it was worth. I ended up buying a new monitor for not a lot of money that for me was a better fit.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Mac that the operating system can no longer be updated.
Take a look at OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Here's one of many articles about it: https://www.macworld.com/article/672461/how-to-install-macos-on-unsupported-mac.html. It's not super difficult to do but I can understand if some aren't up to giving it a go. FWIW, I used it on a Macbook Air '13 and it's running Ventura now (it was 2 major versions behind previously) and it runs better than it did with Big Sur.

can I buy a Mini Mac and use
...a 4k-capable monitor ? Yes, absolutely. While it's possible to use the iMac as a monitor, that seems so klutzy.

I am trying something similar...I have a mid 2010 27 inch iMac and just bought the new, 2023 M2 Mac Mini...

I tried the Luna Display and when I finally got it to work for me (user error I'm sure) I found it laggy as in when I moved the mouse or scrolled down there was a "ghosting" effect on my iMac I didn't like...Luna Display dongle back to Amazon

now I'm trying (as of last night) a new monitor and the Mac Mini but still miss the superior monitor quality (as well as speakers and camera) of the iMac

when I looked at cables it appeared prices were right about what a new monitor would cost...

I'll have to look at what bunny special mentioned above to see if that might work

Bill

should I be able to use a MiniDisplayPort (iMac end) to HDMI cable (Mac Mini end) and Target Display Mode to use the iMac as a display for both?

Thanks for any help you care to share

Bill

Back