Mac Mini, the Honeymoon is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a used machine instead of a new one is really a bummer.
I don't think the 30 day return window applies here because you were sold an item that was misrepresented as brand new.

I would make sure to get a written confirmation from apple that your mac has been already registered with them before you purchased it

Last edited:
^^Yes, I suspect maybe it was a return, still waiting to hear from APPLE, they are supposed to email me, I sent them the receipt.
The Mac itself showed no sign of being unwrapped, was perfect (I look for those things that come from mail order places)
Anyway, it will get cleared up, hopefully soon, I still went ahead and filed a return with B&H online, for an exchange/new one.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Printers are evil.

39.gif

let me help ///

BTW -
We are VERY impressed with the performance of the Canon MF445dw.
Awesome black and white laser printer. double siding printing is a cool option, also 1 pass double sided scanning I think. Printed out some pages yesterday from a PDF, with that option "checked" (all the time now) and it worked perfect and much faster then an ink jet. You just click and it prints in seconds. All this is through our wifi, 1 with windows 10 and this Mac mini. If need be we can print from our phones but honestly dont need it.

The reason for the laser printer was we really do not print much anymore and with ink jet printers the print head/or cartridge clogs up if not used enough.

We are done with those issues with a laser and on the rare occasion that we do get photo prints, we leave that to a photo place. We also have (in another room) my wife work office with a color laser in need be but never needed.
This was expensive printer for sure but I see laser printers can be bought at much lower prices, again, if only needing black and white. If you want photos I believe inkjet is the way to go for sure, at least from what I read.

Keep in mind I picked this printer up at Officemax last week/killer sale for $204. Now back up to 349 and 380+ on Amazon. I would have never spent the full price on a home printer. Max was the $200 range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201311

That document was last updated in September. Your model doesn't appear on there.

Mac OS X is miles ahead of Windows, I use both and for professional use I'll prefer the Mac hands down. Both of my Mac Mini connect to multiple printers fine. I can even print from one Mac Mini connected to another Mac Mini that's connected to a printer. It's actually stunning how well they can connect to each other compared to the problems you can have with Winblows just from sneezing to its direction. I can remote in from each, file share, print, without any difficulty even when one of them is a 2006 model running an ancient version of OS X and the other is a newer model running Catalina. It's a testament to how solid the core of the OS is.

miles ahead of windows, but can't properly connect a printer.

UPDATE !

ALL IS GOOD WITH THE Mac mini (one exception no big deal)

1. Apple got the registration thing straightened out. All is good, I was not sold a "used" unit by B&H.

2. As I previously posted, Everything works perfect with the printer with one big exception, I cant print from Safari, no big deal for me right now, since I use Firefox or Opera anyway, that works perfect. I want to repeat the printer does print from any and all Apple apps. Seems to be something with the latest Catalina and Safari only, dont know and who knows maybe it will work someday. It is strange, Apple tech thrown off by it too. I am sure I can pursue it when I have time. Tech support did at first blame some extentions I was using and adamant that once we removed them it would work, but, it didn't, she was surprised. I wasn't surprised I knew she would be wrong but I entertained her/tech support since they were in no rush to get me off the phone. (lets not forget Canon also contacted me with a phone number to call if I would like)

3. Apples tech support may not know everything and was ridiculous that I had to call 3 times (and the Safari issue still not addressed) but I will say this, wow, I mean, you get right through to them with almost no wait at all and they do try to solve your issue 100%. Like anything, sometimes its who you get. But at least, you can get right through and right or wrong, whether they solve the problem or not, they do make a concerted effort to solve the problem. I was on the phone with them for no less then an hour, very impressive.

4. So the fight is over for me, Honeymoon back on.
Really love this computer, so fluid and fast, it was just like anything (and still is to some degree) for a premium price you expect a premium experience, Apple delivers the experience for sure (though it took 3 calls with one unresolved issue remaining) the premium price paid should not have that one unresolved issue, again, I can work on it with them, maybe some day or another update. One thing for sure, hands down, Im glad I choose this machine, 25 years of Windows, this is a nice change, so far and again, it shouldn't have been this difficult but stuff happens.

5. In case you didn't notice, I am amazed how "fluid" and fast this machine is. I liken it to driving a BMW instead of an economy car, they will both get you there but the experience is really cool. I just cant get over the speed and silent operation. Maybe more so cause I am into technology and computers. and ... and ... and .. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
2. As I previously posted, Everything works perfect with the printer with one big exception, I cant print from Safari, no big deal for me right now,
So, 3 days ago Honeymoon was over because you couldn't print from Safari. Today, Honeymoon is back on, even though you still can't print from Safari? OK. As long as you're happy.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
2. As I previously posted, Everything works perfect with the printer with one big exception, I cant print from Safari, no big deal for me right now,
So, 3 days ago Honeymoon was over because you couldn't print from Safari. Today, Honeymoon is back on, even though you still can't print from Safari? OK. As long as you're happy.
smile.gif

Wrong! The Original Post says I can not print using my new MAC and new Printer, even though the Mac picked up the printer instantly and installed it in literally seconds and I mean seconds.

Since that post I have posted many times, it turns out I can print anything on the Mac EXCEPT I can not print from Safari. That for me is a HUGE difference.

Printer works perfect with every application and ANY browser on planet earth and its very impressive, except Apples native Safari! I cant print from Safari. When I "print" from Safari it goes to the printer, and get a confirmation beep that printing is done, but nothing gets printed. Weird ...

Go figure, thing is for me, its not important to me right now as I never would be printing from Safari, much like I never used Windows Edge to print. Someday when I am bored and want to address it I can, Apple and Canon willing to help but again, dont have the time or want to bother right now, that is how unimportant to me. Dont misunderstand, Im kind of a perfectionist and will address it someday, "just because" but right now I have other things more important in my life to tend too kind of thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Did you ever try the driver package from Canon's website?

No, that would be on the "to do list" as I posted above, I wouldn't be printing from Safari, much like I never printed from Edge, its not important to me, yet, I WILL look into it, work on it, someday when I have nothing better to do.

Im a bit leary, downloading the driver package since everything works perfect, afraid of messing something up that maybe just a "setting" someplace regarding Safari or maybe an update that comes through and fixes it as this is the new Catalina OS, only been out a month? or so... Im not convinced the drivers is the answer to correct something in Safari only, since everything else works perfect, in every program.
More or less, with new OS releases issues crop up, rather have others go through the steps and mis steps for a known solution. *L*

I think when I am at that point I will call canon, as I assume if its an issue with me, they most likely know others.

Will see, thanks for the input for sure.

Last edited:
There's no risk with trying the driver package, I literally have ZERO printers on any of my macs configured to use AirPrint, they are all using either OEM driver packages or Apple had a driver bundled. There's also the possibility that it will solve the Safari issue.

AirPrint is designed to be convenient, but it is NOT a replacement for a full featured driver suite from an OEM, which will support more functions, native fonts, supply monitoring...etc. I'm typing this from a Mac Pro, lol.

There's no risk with trying the driver package, I literally have ZERO printers on any of my macs configured to use AirPrint, they are all using either OEM driver packages or Apple had a driver bundled. There's also the possibility that it will solve the Safari issue.

AirPrint is designed to be convenient, but it is NOT a replacement for a full featured driver suite from an OEM, which will support more functions, native fonts, supply monitoring...etc. I'm typing this from a Mac Pro, lol.

Ok, thanks, in all these years I always had dedicated hardwires printers on our home PCs. This Canon is the first time we used our Wifi to connect 11 Win 10 and my 1- Mac to one printer and eventually maybe for fun to our Android (so far) phones.
So you use the full suite on wifi and no issues? I assume though, your not using Catalina 15.5? Anyway, I know I will get to it at some point.

I was just reading up on browsers, for 25 years I have always used a mix of browsers on my Windows computers and my android phones and always been a mix of either Firefox or Opera with Windows.
I really like Opera the best, more so for the Android phones, but all in all love the layout of Opera and the features to block auto play, block ads etc. The only thing I dont like is it uses chromium engine.

SO for the heck of it I am posting here on firefox right now ...

Last edited:

+1

I'm even printing from a G4 ppc mini. Oem drivers really are the solution.

Ok, thanks, in all these years I always had dedicated hardwires printers on our home PCs. This Canon is the first time we used our Wifi to connect 11 Win 10 and my 1- Mac to one printer and eventually maybe for fun to our Android (so far) phones.
So you use the full suite on wifi and no issues? I assume though, your not using Catalina 15.5? Anyway, I know I will get to it at some point.

I was just reading up on browsers, for 25 years I have always used a mix of browsers on my Windows computers and my android phones and always been a mix of either Firefox or Opera with Windows.
I really like Opera the best, more so for the Android phones, but all in all love the layout of Opera and the features to block auto play, block ads etc. The only thing I dont like is it uses chromium engine.

SO for the heck of it I am posting here on firefox right now ...

Yep, Catalina 15.5 here, with two different network printers, both using OEM drivers:
[Linked Image]

Have you posted this question on the Apple support forums? There is a ton of info and a lot of good people there

Originally Posted by PimTac
Have you posted this question on the Apple support forums? There is a ton of info and a lot of good people there

Yes, not much help, but now I will re-post the issue as I can be much more specific.
The only program on my computer that I can not print from is Safari.

Other then liking everything to work correctly, its really not a big deal anymore, since it is only Safari, its something I never or very unlikely to print from.

On Windows and Mac, I use the native browser for only one specific purpose and secondary browsers for everything else, Firefox or Opera.
I suspect since one or two things, some obscure setting that needs to be changed in Safari or with the Canon.

The Canon printer software for this printer is brand new, released OCT 2019 and I suspect Canon might be more help then Apple but dont know. Not at the top of my "list" of things to do anymore.
I dont want to be the experimental mouse for Apple and Canon. I suspect it will fix itself with an update one day.

More or less, for example, Apple tech support REALLY tried to help and get Safari to print, yet I knew everything she was having me try would not work, yet she was so sure of herself and I still knew it wouldnt work and it didnt.
I can try Canon they maybe more help but now that I know its not my computer since again, I can print anything on planet earth from any program or browser except Apples Native Safari, more or less, I dont want someone walking me through screwing up my new computer because they "think" they know what is wrong. nothing is wrong with the computer, something is wrong with Safari.

Another apple tech support sent me a link to completely reinstall the operating system, really? For one program that person cant get to print? No way!

thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Catalina is a tough new OS(drops 32bit). I would love the sidecar capability to use an iPad as monitor and input device however chicken to jump. I have heard a few people run into print issues with it.

Yes, Some day in the future I will try the IPAD thing, if my old Ipad is up for it.

Expand on the "print issues" ... Print issues with Catalina or with the IPAD?

The reason I ask is I thought I has the issue fixed for me, anything and everything prints perfect from any program or browser EXCEPT native Safari! Doesnt bother me, but something funky happened last night so one more tiny print issue is, even when using Firefox and even though everything prints perfect from it, I couldnt print a email form a microsoft email account! Ugh .. .
Anyway, not losing sleep over it, I got the lastest Catalina and the latest printer with software just released OCT 2019 so expect it will get worked out. I can still print anything I need too but would be nice if I didnt have to think about what program I was in to print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back