Generic Printer Ink Cartridges ??

As I said in my original post, I'm sure the ink tank model printers have many advantages over the expensive ink cartridges. It's just that I don't use a printer enough to warrant the expense.

Hell, I rarely even use color. About all I do is print out coupons, and on occasion, some text. I'll also use the scanning feature to EMail things once in a great while.

So for me, dumping $300.00 to $400.00+ for a printer just isn't cost effective for the amount it's going to get used. $50.00 is. It will probably be a year before I use up the black cartridge that came with the unit. The color cartridge will more than likely dry out before I get the whole good out of it.

I print so infrequently that laser is the only way to go. Even after months of inactivity a laser will always work and the toner cartridge has lasted 4 years so far.
+1 on a laser. I buy the OEM super high capacity toner cartridges.

B&W laser multifunction printer is reasonable. The color laser are nice but cost significantly more than B&W.

The killer on the ink cartridges is if you go into a "clean" mode.

The killer on the ink cartridges is if you go into a "clean" mode.

I ran IT for a school. Everything is colour laser now but go back some years before colour laser was reasonably affordable and we ran HP business inkjets - lots of them. My experience was they always squirted half of the ink into the bottom of the printer which made a real mess when it came to disposal. These printers were used daily and never had enough time resting for the heads to dry up and need cleaning. My guess was this was a cynical ploy by HP to deliberately waste ink for obvious revenue reasons.

I ran IT for a school. Everything is colour laser now but go back some years before colour laser was reasonably affordable and we ran HP business inkjets - lots of them. My experience was they always squirted half of the ink into the bottom of the printer which made a real mess when it came to disposal. These printers were used daily and never had enough time resting for the heads to dry up and need cleaning. My guess was this was a cynical ploy by HP to deliberately waste ink for obvious revenue reasons.
I bought my old boat club a nice ink jet printer. They could not figure out how to force ink cartridge to the center so they could change it. So they figured they would start it printing and grab the cartridge as it started to print. Probably a few beers were consumed plotting this strategy. They were able to grab the ink cartridge OK while it was moving back and forth printing. But that printer never printed anything again.

Went to a HP laser printer. No further problems after that. Except people who printed reports on check stock rather than blank paper.

Back