M1 or RP ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kas

Hi guys,

RP and M1 10W-40 is almost similarly priced here, which oil do you is better?

My car is 3yrs old and I hv been using synthetic oil since 10,000km, wanted to get Citgo Supergard(10W-30) but was advised not to do so as its mineral.

Thanks
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kas:
Hi guys,

RP and M1 10W-40 is almost similarly priced here, which oil do you is better?

My car is 3yrs old and I hv been using synthetic oil since 10,000km, wanted to get Citgo Supergard(10W-30) but was advised not to do so as its mineral.

Thanks
smile.gif

Hey Brother Kas,

The word on BITOG Lane (aka "the street") is that RP is really a Group III based lube. However, as on many other streets, one person often says something that may just be an opinion/an educated guess/or they themselves were misinformed, and then it quickly spreads around as if it were a stone cold fact. However, until told otherwise, I'll go out on a limb here and trust the BITOG thesis on this matter for the time being.

"There's a .45 ACP solution to every 9mm matter"

What type of car and engine do you have? Also, which Royal Purple. I would take M1 over any RP except for Royal Purple Racing 41. The regular Royal Purple tends to shear.

Try them both. RP outperforms M1 in some cars and vice versa. RP 5w30 is excellent in my 98 GMC. RP's street oils are a PAO/ester synthetic, that uses a conventional carrier oil for the add pack. RP's racing oils are 100% synthetic.

Both are excellent. Pick the one that is cheaper. Mobil 1 has a better track record for extended drains I believe.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.
smile.gif

Is M1 a Group V oil? The climate here is summer all year round(avg temp ~30 degrees celcius).

Should I go for 5W-30 or 10W-30?

Thanks
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Try them both. RP outperforms M1 in some cars and vice versa. RP 5w30 is excellent in my 98 GMC. RP's street oils are a PAO/ester synthetic, that uses a conventional carrier oil for the add pack. RP's racing oils are 100% synthetic.

Exactly. I used GC for a 7400 mile run, have RP 10w-30 right now for a 7000-7500 mile run, and will see which one is best. I also have some old SL M1 that I will be running, but not going to bother testing it since the SM fromula is different.

And don't forget the Synerlec tha RP has, no one has figured out exactly what it is, but many run it with good UOA's except for the sheering it does, which is not always a bad thing.

Mobil 1 a Group IV PAO base oil. I would go for the 10w 30 in those ambient conditions. If you can find the new Mobil 1 10w 30 Extended Performance version it would be a real nice choice.

Let's set the record straight. I'm tired of seeing everyone knock Royal Purple. I have been using RP for the last 35,000 miles on my S10. My dad run RP in his Canyon. We both love the oil.
Royal Purple with the API is 80% Group 4 PAO and 20% carrier oil which I believe is Group 2.
The only oil I know of being Group III is Castrol Syntec (except the German Castrol). Rumors are flying around Valvoline is switching to Group 3 (this is just rumors and I won't believe until someone proves it).
nono.gif

Let's set the record straight. I'm tired of seeing everyone knock Royal Purple.

I don't knock RP, in fact just the opposite. A few oil salemen on other boards knock RP with bad info, and it permeates on the net.

The number 2 item that gets daily play on RP is that it thins. But the wear metal results are low, but it thinned. So what. Others thicken and that does not get the play time, because all that causes is higher insol. and wear, but it is OK. End of RP rant before I have to ban myself. I just buy more RP and smile.

cheers.gif

quote:

The number 2 item that gets daily play on RP is that it thins. But the wear metal results are low, but it thinned. So what. Others thicken and that does not get the play time, because all that causes is higher insol. and wear, but it is OK. End of RP rant before I have to ban myself. I just buy more RP and smile.

ha ha. nice..you couldn't be more right. It could even be that RP is designed to shear a bit. M1R probably was. Terry stated how some race oils are made that way so you won't loose HP, in fact you might gain a few. Hard to say but if the wear metals are good as Vetteman said, your good to go.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
Let's set the record straight. I'm tired of seeing everyone knock Royal Purple.

I don't knock RP, in fact just the opposite. A few oil salemen on other boards knock RP with bad info, and it permeates on the net.

cheers.gif

I agree with you, 59 Vetteman
cheers.gif

The object of this site is to find oils that PROTECT your engine. so what if it shears down? So what if it thickens? The point is: does it protect? If the answer is YES, it is a good oil
grin.gif

Don't get lost in the minute. Look at the big picture. There are many oils that post good UOA's on this forum.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:

The question is: Are racing oils suitable for the street? I have heard that they lack an additive package needed for long term street use.

"The question is: Are racing oils suitable for the street? "

RP makes street and racing oils. The RP street oils are 100% safe to use.

Vetteman, I was not arguing with you. I know you are a great supporter for RP. I was mad at what 1911 said with his totally wrong mistake. Also there is some dumb Amsoil dealer on here knocking RP too. Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, but when someone posts something, they better have the right info.

gmayer,

No, I honestly did not take your post that way. In fact, I really appreciate you making your post on RP.

cheers.gif

Quote:
I have been using RP for the last 35,000 miles on my S10. My dad run RP in his Canyon. We both love the oil.

Strange world for sure! My Canyon/Colorado & S-10 love M-1.

RP's racing oils are fine for street use, and have the detergents necessary for such use. Some racing oils are not to be used for street use, such as redline's racing oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back