M1 Euro 40 Weight & Calcium / LSPI

I’ve been running this oil for quite some time in various vehicles with success. I came access this video, which is interesting speaking to an older formulation and calcium levels related to LSPI. Currently running it in a 23 Tacoma 2GR-FKS with a performance tune, which is both port and direct injected. Anyway, do you guys know if the calcium levels are the same between 0w and 5w? Opinions on whether switch to an oil with less calcium is a better choice? I run pretty high octane / e85 mix and I see very little movement on my knock sensors, even during tip-in. Thoughts?

The new 0w-40 is sp and has less calcium so it isn't a problem. Di engines without turbos like your v6 are almost never going to have any lspi even with high calcium oils. That only begins to be a problem when combined with turbos as that exacerbates it. What is your e85 to regular fuel ratio.

Last edited:
From my logging and seeing how the HPFP acts I generally stay around 30 - 35%. I try to make sure I don’t crash my pump.

Stick with SP 40w and you'll be fine. Look for increased SP Magnesium levels and you'll be even finer.
I run a blend of 30 & 40w Mobil-1 in my Signature. Have enough for one more OCI - then I'm married to $10 per jug Castrol Euro 40w for nine OCIs.

I really don't plan on keeping the S. Korean vehicle that long. The engine may grenade by then, or the Kia Gang may merge with the Hyundai Gang and invest in more USB cords and red bricks to break windows for entry.

Stick with SP 40w and you'll be fine. Look for increased SP Magnesium levels and you'll be even finer.
I run a blend of 30 & 40w Mobil-1 in my Signature. Have enough for one more OCI - then I'm married to $10 per jug Castrol Euro 40w for nine OCIs.

I really don't plan on keeping the S. Korean vehicle that long. The engine may grenade by then, or the Kia Gang may merge with the Hyundai Gang and invest in more USB cords and red bricks to break windows for entry.
lol, I hear you. I’ve been through a few Korean vehicles on my own, don’t plan on going back.

No turbo, no LSPI.

Other issues with video:
1. He does not acknowledge that LSPI does not affect all turbo engines. It is a design issue and transmission programming (keeping low rpms too long for mpg).
2. High Zinc value also helps mitigate LSPI (LSPI became big problem using ILSAC oils that don't have such high Zinc value).

Back