M1 ESP 0W-30 vs 5W-30

Not sure where you came up with your numbers.

Walmart ESP 0W-30: $8.64/qt; $59.99/6 qt case. Note it is cheaper to buy six singles than a case ($51.84 vs $59.99)
AutoZone: $8.99/qt.
O'Reilly: $12.99/qt.
I came up with the numbers by actually buying the oil in 2 of the three places you mentioned and checking the price at the third. My statement was true at the time I made it.

Your prices reflect current prices, which I happened to check within the last week or so. They coincide with what I recently discovered. Prices on many commodities have been in flux for months.

I came up with the numbers by actually buying the oil in 2 of the three places you mentioned and checking the price at the third. My statement was true at the time I made it.

Your prices reflect current prices, which I happened to check within the last week or so. They coincide with what I recently discovered. Prices on many commodities have been in flux for months.
You're correct. Prices change all the time.

Running it in my Renegade....chose 0W over 5W since Jeep specs 0W30 and it gets pretty cold here (can get into the -20s and -30s for a couple days, 0 to -10F is pretty common) and this one doesn't have an engine block heater.

it gets pretty cold here
It does, but both cars mostly live in the garage and both cars run 5w30 without a problem, year-round/

The MB seems to love the ESP 5w30 stuff, I might use it in the BMW next time.

Okay yeah readily available through Walmart.com, but at a high price.

Another option is Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL also from Walmart.com for only $24.04 for five quarts. ACEA C3 and stringent VW 504 00/507 00 approvals like the ESP for much less. Even less expensive than the ESP at NAPA when on sale.
Any idea what the Noack of Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL is?

Why do you consider it just an average add pack? It's VW 504 00/507 00. Isn't that suppose to be a tough approval to obtain with outstanding performance specs?
It is average among those VW504.00/507.00 oils. There are A LOT of those oils.
9.6% Noack in that grade is just that, average. Castrol delivered product they can get away with it. Nothing special.

Last edited:
It is average among those VW504.00/507.00 oils. There are A LOT of those oils.
9.6% Noack in that grade is just that, average. Castrol delivered product they can get away with it. Nothing special.
Which ones has a better added pack at a good price?

Back