M1 EP Dexos 1 Gen 2 vs M1 EP Dexos Gen 3.

You would not, just as you would not find any evidence that Mobil1 EP will protect engine any better for less than 10k OCI.
I agree you will not find evidence mobil 1 will done internal testing there lab that mobil 1 ep will more shear stable and resistance to heat and because better additive package and base oil it perfomance better some testing benchmarks . So they will go with better and best ,exceed and star ratings because all variables and not all engine same effect on oil when in used .

I agree you will not find evidence mobil 1 will done internal testing there lab that mobil 1 ep will more shear stable and resistance to heat and because better additive package and base oil it perfomance better some testing benchmarks . So they will go with better and best ,exceed and star ratings because all variables and not all engine same effect on oil when in used .
You’re better off with an oil that has an approval which guarantees that kind of performance rather than “star ratings”.

You would not, just as you would not find any evidence that Mobil1 EP will protect engine any better for less than 10k OCI.
Interesting sidebar: Based on the Engineering Explained visit to Mobil, the EP products are held to a higher standard on a few metrics, but the one they did mention specifically was oxidative thickening resistance. The API limit is 100% thickening, while Mobil limits Mobil 1 to 10% and M1 EP to 5%.

which leaves me to go with whatever Mobil oil says about the products they manufacture...the only difference I can find is those things mentioned prior; turbocharger protection, high engine temps and oil breakdown...but last I checked, the EP is not yet listed as Dexos 1 Gen3 licensed while regular M1 is...

Bill

Last edited:
which leaves me to go with whatever Mobil oil says about the products they manufacture...the only difference I can find is those things mentioned prior; turbocharger protection, high engine temps and oil breakdown...but last I checked, the EP is not yet listed as Dexos 1 Gen3 licensed while regular M1 is...

Bill
The current M1 EP has the Dexos 1 Gen 3 labels.

There no way group 3 or gtl will last 20k. Mobil 1 ep rated 20k need used better additive package and group 3,4,5 to get 20k . If you any brand or product name only group 3 oil rated 20k ? I believe mobil remove poa from msds so they blend oil however they want as long as meet spec 20k in there book.
I wouldn’t say never. I ran PUP GTL to 17k and it was just starting to show a little thickening. If the oil has a healthy starting TBN (11+) 20k is likely possible with a mid-OCI UOA sample to confirm everything is still good.

I wouldn’t say never. I ran PUP GTL to 17k and it was just starting to show a little thickening. If the oil has a healthy starting TBN (11+) 20k is likely possible with a mid-OCI UOA sample to confirm everything is still good.
It all depends on the engine, I’ve recently posted 7k mile highway driving with mobil EP and it had 4% fuel dilution on GDI engine with 20k miles.

Reactions: pbm
It all depends on the engine, I’ve recently posted 7k mile highway driving with mobil EP and it had 4% fuel dilution on GDI engine with 20k miles.
I've got a '20 Transit Connect with the 2.0/8F35. I haven't yet run a UOA to check how viscosity & fuel % have been doing since I am just approaching 30k on it. This OCI has a 50/50 mix of Ravenol DXG/Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 d1G2 (cleaning up partially used containers) and I may run a sample on it as a baseline.

I just picked up a jug of Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 d1G3 last night, and that will be the next up, see if there are any differences.

I've got a '20 Transit Connect with the 2.0/8F35. I haven't yet run a UOA to check how viscosity & fuel % have been doing since I am just approaching 30k on it. This OCI has a 50/50 mix of Ravenol DXG/Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 d1G2 (cleaning up partially used containers) and I may run a sample on it as a baseline.

I just picked up a jug of Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 d1G3 last night, and that will be the next up, see if there are any differences.

Bottom line it depends on engine kind and your driving pattern much more than type of oil you buy. Without looking at UOA its all just guessing game.

Bottom line it depends on engine kind and your driving pattern much more than type of oil you buy. Without looking at UOA its all just guessing game.
Even with looking at a UOA the only thing it reliably tells you is viscosity, TAN/TBN, presence of dirt or coolant, insolubles, and iron concentration.

A UOA is an oil condemnation tool, not a reliable wear measurement.

Even with looking at a UOA the only thing it reliably tells you is viscosity, TAN/TBN, presence of dirt or coolant, insolubles, and iron concentration.

Yes, but better than people guessing of what would be a good OCI

Note to BMW owners: When lead etc shoots UP in your UOA?…
That UOA IS a wear measurement…get those Rod Bearings OUT!

Yes, obvious 100+ppm changes are signs of impending/current disasters and should be noted. But using UOA counts to try to distinguish "better" oils on the basis of a few (or even 10+) ppm is not the right tool. Any huge change should always be investigated.

Have there been any UOA/VOAs posted of the latest M1 formulations?

FYI most modern cars are made with lead-free bearings. Not sure when BMW swapped, but Subaru publicly switched in 2009 for example.

King has a catalog of lead free bearings and is nice enough to list their elemental composition.

FYI most modern cars are made with lead-free bearings. Not sure when BMW swapped, but Subaru publicly switched in 2009 for example.

King has a catalog of lead free bearings and is nice enough to list their elemental composition.

Thanks for that info: but in the 2000s BMW had lead bearings. I guess I would consider them “modern” cars vs …what description? ”Real Recent Classics”? When did the modern car era begin?
My 2002 M COUPE had HIGH lead levels on OA and failed Rod bearings @ 60,000 miles, as did many M3s with the same S54 6 cylinder engines. Same issue in BMW engines to follow.V8 to follow.

You race a BMW? You must know that.
Seems like BMW bearings went non lead around 2011. Those are the “modern“ ones then.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info: but in the 2000s BMW had lead bearings. I guess I would consider them “modern” cars vs …what description? ”Real Recent Classics”? When did the modern car era begin?
My 2002 M COUPE had HIGH lead levels on OA and failed Rod bearings @ 60,000 miles, as did many M3s with the same S54 6 cylinder engines. Same issue in BMW engines to follow.V8 to follow.

You race a BMW? You must know that.
Seems like BMW bearings went non lead around 2011. Those are the “modern“ ones then.

Just throwing it out there so that people don't assume lead is the only element to watch for. I'm definitely unclear on when they switched, or if factory lead bearing cars were ever issued lead-free replacement shells.

Definitely an amateur, though aware of issues on the S54/S65/S85/N55.

I have a toast model year 2008 NG6 block in my garage awaiting disassembly. Will try one of those lead rapid tests on the bearings at some point.

Back