M1 EP Dexos 1 Gen 2 vs M1 EP Dexos Gen 3.

Is there any difference between these two oils? The Gen 3 jug mentions something to the effect of having additional additives to prevent pre ignition or something like that. The 5 quart jugs they had (Wm) were the Gen 2, and the individual quarts were the Gen 3. Maybe a better add pack?

Oil was Mobil 1 EP 5W30. I was going to grab a jug, but I wanted the newest formula, therefore I'll wait.

If this has already been discussed, please forgive me:D

Newest formula uses no PAO at all. We dont know if old formula was not meeting Gen3, the old label was designed before gen3 was released. It is possible that formula change had nothing to do with Gen3 at all.

I think someone can call mobil1 tech support and ask: “I have a car that requires gen3 dexos and I just bought mobil1 EP old label, is it OK to use?” 😀

Gen 3 contains 100 ppm moly vs 80 ppm in the gen 2 formula. Not sure on other changes. I think the change is due to gen 3 as they made zero changes for SP/GF6. Not till gen 3

Ok, that means they did have to make a change. Only thing is if change took place before the new label or after
Considering the new revision number on the jugs for the new triple action/dexos 1 gen 3 labels i think its safe to say the change occured with the new label which also touts an improved formula

I wanted to grab a jug of the 5W30 Gen 3 EP to have on hand for my next oil change. Right now Wm here has regular M1 and M1 EP 5 quart jugs both at the same price, $24. They have plenty of regular M1 Gen 3 and EP Gen 2, but no EP Gen 3.

Newest formula uses no PAO at all. We dont know if old formula was not meeting Gen3, the old label was designed before gen3 was released. It is possible that formula change had nothing to do with Gen3 at all.
There no way group 3 or gtl will last 20k. Mobil 1 ep rated 20k need used better additive package and group 3,4,5 to get 20k . If you any brand or product name only group 3 oil rated 20k ? I believe mobil remove poa from msds so they blend oil however they want as long as meet spec 20k in there book.

where might you find proof (or at least evidence) of this?...according to Mobil oil, their EP meets or exceeds and measure when compared to regular M1...

Bill
You would not, just as you would not find any evidence that Mobil1 EP will protect engine any better for less than 10k OCI.

Back