M1 EP 0W20 SP VOA

If we’re basing part of an oils performance on additives, this looks extremely weak, beaten by Supertech, Valvoline, other Mobil 1’s and pretty much every 20 grade sp oil tested and posted here on bitog. How much weight does one put in these additive tests, 50% of an oils performance based on additives, 25%?
If we’re basing part of an oils performance on additives, this looks extremely weak, beaten by Supertech, Valvoline, other Mobil 1’s and pretty much every 20 grade sp oil tested and posted here on bitog. How much weight does one put in these additive tests, 50% of an oils performance based on additives, 25%?

I had a conversation with someone who works in the motor oil industry last week and we were talking about 0w20. He talked about how Mobil tends to have a good base stock or at least better than most other mainstream brands but they use a very weak additive package. He is an add pack fan himself and he said that pretty much every mainstream brand, including Supertech, has a better add pack than Mobil.

I know some people who are BG MOA fans that would probably dump some of that stuff in with M1 EP 0w20 and sleep well at night.

I had a conversation with someone who works in the motor oil industry last week and we were talking about 0w20. He talked about how Mobil tends to have a good base stock or at least better than most other mainstream brands but they use a very weak additive package. He is an add pack fan himself and he said that pretty much every mainstream brand, including Supertech, has a better add pack than Mobil.

I know some people who are BG MOA fans that would probably dump some of that stuff in with M1 EP 0w20 and sleep well at night.
Whatever next.

Made a similar comment about Blackstone commentary regarding high mileage version of this oil…. This time they wrote… this additive package is jam-packed…. I understand there are unseen additives-but they should mention that… the additives they test for are relatively low compared with many oils and on the face of it are not jam-packed

I have a UOA sample of this same oil pending. It should deliver to Blackstone hopefully by tomorrow, which means I should get results by next Friday or so. The used oil had 4323 miles on it. Fewer miles than I wanted, but I've got a long road trip (about 2000 mi) coming up and needed to change the oil prior to the trip. I'll open a new thread with the UOA results once they arrive.

Looked at Mobil 1 sds from June 14 2022… looks like lowered PAO content to 20-30 percent.
Hazardous Substance(s) or Complex Substance(s) required for disclosure
Name CAS#
GHS Hazard Codes
Concentration*
1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED 68649-12-7 20 - < 30% H304
2-PENTANOL, 4-METHYL-, HYDROGEN 2215-35-2 0.1 - < 1% H303, H315, H318, H401, PHOSPHORODITHIOATE, ZINC SALT H411
BENZENAMINE, N-PHENYL-, REACTION PRODUCTS 68411-46-1 1 - < 5% H316, H402, H412 WITH 2,4,4-TRIMETHYLPENTENE
ORGANO MOLY-SULFUR COMPLEX CONFIDENTIAL 0.1 - < 1% H315, H317, H402, H412
PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID, MIXED 0,0 BIS (1,3- 84605-29-8 0.1 - < 1% H303, H315, H318, H401, DIMETHYLBUTYL AND ISO-PR)ESTERS, ZINC SALTS H411
SEVERELY HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC 64742-54-7 50 - < 60% H304 DISTILLATE
SOLVENT DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-65-0 1 - < 5% H304

Back