Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 VOA

I thought this oil had a NOACK of 5.6 or was that the older version?
The number I got from German Oil Club. Someone had it analyzed in lab in Finland.
Also that oil was made in France.
There was about 8 pages of discussion about this oil.
I use Translate extension in Brave browser which can translate many languages to English.

Last edited:
TBN is falsely understated due Test Method D4739 which I suspect is used by Blakstone. Test Method D4739 uses hydrochloric acid which is weaker than perchloric acid used in Test Method D2896 to determine TBN of virgin oil. Test Method D4739 is usually used to determine TBN for oil in service.

All the results of VOA's on Russian oil club for TBN are determined by Test Method D2896. TBN of M1 ESP SAE 5W-30 tested in 2018 was 8.61 and TAN 1.48. Other oil properties numbers are pretty much similar to what you posted.
This has already been covered a few times; it’s due to ashless detergents. It’s said that D4739 reads ashless detergents 1.5-2.0 points low, so the result is identical to the D2896 for all intents & purposes. Once the oil is used, you now have an apples to apples comparison.

Blackstone and others have commented before they don’t do the D2896 test because it’s only used for a VOA; is more costly, and requires additional safety measures, all adding up to a piece of data that’s only relevant when compared to other new oil. I understand why they test it against the used oil test, and it makes sense considering you cannot compare the TBN from a D2896 test to the results from a D4793 test. When both are tested under D4793, they are directly comparable.

From a fresh 5qt jug that looks like it has a 2022 package date on it. Jug was shaken, seal removed, and poured straight into sample container. Not sure if the Al and other metals are part of the formula or somehow snuck in. I've never found a VOA for this oil, so was curious to test it out before it goes into our 2018 CRV.

View attachment 121969

Thank You for this VOA. Much appreciated 👍🇺🇸

We in Germany no longer have a technical data sheet available for this oil. Will there be a new oil of it in the future? Or even just a revised version? Does anyone know anything?

Back