M1 Engine Oil/75W-90 (Tranny) in 92 Harley FXSTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude, not that bmw's are poodles, they are beautiful bikes for sure. very classy, wine and cheese, where i think the harleys are more beer and ....more beer!
wink.gif
penz

quote:

Originally posted by penzdude:
dude, not that bmw's are poodles, they are beautiful bikes for sure. very classy, wine and cheese, where i think the harleys are more beer and ....more beer!
wink.gif
penz

***** Poodles? Oh come on now! :)
I do know this from my Many miles and time on bikes.. most of which was a Harley..... that I Never met a BMW rider that couldn't ride circles around 90% of the Harley riders out there......... Not that Us Harley guys weren't that good...... it's just the BMW riders were!
I still toss down a few cold beers with some chips when I'm done riding the BMW...... and I know plenty of Harley guys that have that wine and cheese! :) One of these days I'll probably build me a Hog to ride around town on and scare old ladies and rattle windows with.... but until then....... I wanna try to get this BMW to 50,000 miles as quick as I can!

JP

smile.gif
cool.gif
worshippy.gif
cheers.gif

yeah, my harley bro's drink wine and cheese too. problem is the wine is usualy from the local quick mart, and the cheese is the aerosol type dispenced from a can!!! lol, penz

[ January 11, 2005, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: penzdude ]

quote:

honus, i own a 1200xlh sportster. i was using mobil 1 15w50 in the motor and tranny. recently changed over to amsoil. they recommend the amsoil 20-50 for the tranny and motor. the 10w40 is for the sportbikes and japanese metric v-twins. they are also doing the amsoil 20-50 in all the holes for the twin cam 88's too. shiny side up. penz

Hmmm, I guess your right, 20w-50 does seem to be the recommendation. Seems kinda thick considering the viscosity of virgin Harley sport/trans fluid is 13.69 @ 100c.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

honus, i own a 1200xlh sportster. i was using mobil 1 15w50 in the motor and tranny. recently changed over to amsoil. they recommend the amsoil 20-50 for the tranny and motor. the 10w40 is for the sportbikes and japanese metric v-twins. they are also doing the amsoil 20-50 in all the holes for the twin cam 88's too. shiny side up. penz

Hmmm, I guess your right, 20w-50 does seem to be the recommendation. Seems kinda thick considering the viscosity of virgin Harley sport/trans fluid is 13.69 @ 100c.

Before HD came out with their synthetic and recommendation to run 20w50 in all 3 sumps, Amsoil was recommending 20w50 AMV in engine, AMF 10w40 primary, 75w90 series 2000 in tranny. I would run the old recommendation with severe gear 75w90 if you are going to try Amsoil and NOT the 20w50 in all fills.

hey medic. not sure why either, though the full syn of the amsoil compared with the semi syn formula of the sport/trans fluid could be a factor. i know my sportster shifts great w/ the amsoil though. less notchy feeling than with the mobil 1 15w50 i was using which seemed to shift better than the sport/trans. i too have heard good things about the mobil 1 75-90 gear oil. 3 of my co-workers w/ metric v-twins use it in their shaft drives...
cheers.gif

hey medic. not sure why either, though the full syn of the amsoil compared with the semi syn formula of the sport/trans fluid could be a factor. i know my sportster shifts great w/ the amsoil though. less notchy feeling than with the mobil 1 15w50 i was using,which seemed to shift better than the sport/trans. i too have heard good things about the mobil 1 75-90 gear oil. 3 of my co-workers w/ metric v-twins use it in their shaft drives...one ride a yamie v-star 650, one a honda sabre 1100, and the other a honda vtx 1300. all nice scoots and very reliable, though the 1100 v-star would have been a better choice. my buds already complaining about not have enough "beans" to keep up on some of our rides. wait till we go and i'm on the zrx1200. that ought to cheer him up even more! lol, penz
cheers.gif

quote:

i too have heard good things about the mobil 1 75-90 gear oil.

I used this in my 92 FXSTC and the shifting was marginally better than the harley oil but still "notchy" when hot. Anyone has any other suggestions?

darrell
sin city

lv, maybe you will have more success w/ the amsoil 20w50 v-twin. it's also for the big twin tranny's. it's im my xlh 1200's at the moment as well.

quote:

lv, maybe you will have more success w/ the amsoil 20w50 v-twin. it's also for the big twin tranny's. it's im my xlh 1200's at the moment as well.

I would prefer a gear oil. I admit that the 20w-50 is fine, heck, even harley (for what that is worth) recommends it. I would just prefer to gear oil.

Just IMHO

darrell
sin city

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:
I've tried a variety of trans oils and found that Slick 50 75-90 works pretty good..WW cheap..change every 5k

I will try that next oil change, actually probably change it out early, just to see if there is much or a difference...

darrell
sin city

lv, no offense meant to skunky, but if you've tried the mobil gear oil, and don't want to try the amsoil 20-50 which is what amsoil also recomends in the tranny, i seriously doubt you're gonna get any better results with anything that has "slick 50" written on it. maybe try a schaffers product? the harley trannys are not exactly the smoothest around...period. you may have already tried the best in the mobil 75-90 syn gear oil. want smooth? go japanese or bmw.
cheers.gif

I prefer the smell of full Pao and synthetic diester, some smell like robot urine.

From the smell the Mobile 1 red cap it has alot of crude oil in it. For $3 more for you can get 50 degree higher flash points with their Motorcycle oils and no moly.

I recently tried 5w40 rotella t synthetic. Thought it performed pretty good(ran 500 miles), but I switched to Mobile 1 Mc oil. Installing the smell was questionable(hint of robot pi$s)(but thinking if there was crude in there) and the color a little darker than preferable.

Even though kind of questionable pouring it in, when I rode the bike, I detected a significant difference beteen those two oils and the Mobile was a clear winner.

IMO the 5w40 diesil created some oil drag and the mobil was like a free wheel, including clutch feel.

Suspecting a DUD, I was alittle surprised

Mackelroy, I think you better get your nose checked. The Shell Rotella Synth is 100% dino, while the Mobil1 products are 100% synth.

Also, the color has nothing to do with oil formulation and is just a product of dyes that are added with additives. BradPenn Penn Grade 1 Racing Oil, some Schaeffer's products, and GC are all green.

The members of this board just spent over $400 to find out the make-up of a certain oil. If you could tell the base oil by smelling it, you could've saved us all alot of $$$.

quote:

Originally posted by Mackelroy:
Even though kind of questionable pouring it in, when I rode the bike, I detected a significant difference beteen those two oils and the Mobile was a clear winner.

Define to me what you consider "a significant difference".

The Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 has just been reformulated to deliver excellent performance in the EVO and Twin Cam engines and wet clutch primaries if the manufacturer specs a 85w90 or lower viscosity for the tranny.

quote:

Originally posted by scooter996:
The Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 has just been reformulated to deliver excellent performance in the EVO and Twin Cam engines and wet clutch primaries if the manufacturer specs a 85w90 or lower viscosity for the tranny.

It wasnt originally formulated to "deliver excellent performance in the EVO and Twin Cam engines"? What changed?

darrell
sin city

25% more anti-wear & anti oxidants//higher amounts of zinc and phosphorus//enhanced synthetic base stock//improved high temperature detergent system etc,,.

HD is suposedly working with a blender on a 25w/60 motor oil for the big twins. The story is some the bikes are flickering the the oilpressure light on some of the new models with the 20w/50. This is at idle in hot climates. The 2 ez fixes were to turn the idle speed up, or put thicker oil in it. Since the low idle potato-potato sound is so valued by owners (even if it starves the top end of oil if too low) it looks like the thicker oil will be the quick fix.

When HD developed balanced motor they learned that that the gearbox wouldn't shift right without all the shaking. They had no idea that the shaking was actually helping. After purchasing and studying some japanese designs they made a few changes and got them to work better. At the same time they tried some different fluids that worked better, this fluid is now the standard. The new fluid may not be best for the older gearboxes as it was chosen for the B motor? just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back