rear differential fluid recommendation...

hey...my Honda Navi is going into hibernation & shortly after waking her up next spring the warranty will be used up; ssooo...that opens up possibilities to move away from the factory spec of 10w-30 engine oil and using gear oil in the rear differential; would you continue with 10w-30 engine oil (in my case a frankenbrew of Star-Fire full synthetic sn pcmo & conventional Yamalube sj small engine oil) OR switch over to a dedicated gear oil (80w-90 conventional or 75w-90 synthetic); target interval for changes is 2000 miles...

I don't even see the fluid recommendation for the final drive in the owners manual, it just says replace every 2 years, requires mechanical skill...

As for the engine id use a good quality oil it seems to hold less than a qt so just splurge on the good stuff...

In my 2020 Honda Ruckus, 2009 Tomos Nitro 150, 2001 Honda Reflex 250, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125, and 2002 Honda Reflex 250 I use synthetic 75W-90 for the rear gears. Usually Valvoline seems to be the most widely available.

Suzuki, Yam, Honda small engine CVT scooters (400-500 cc) called for 10-40 as best as I can remember. I was then into Amsoil and used that. The rear capacity way very small, about a cup or less. You put it in till it ran out of an overflow. Stick with your manual on this.

Edited to add: good video above.

I had a Virago 920 for a short time. It was a nice bike.
I had a XV920 non-Virago after that. Very torquey engine, quirky chain drive with the weird sealed cover on it. Uncomfortable seat, really killed my back so it went bye-bye.

If the manual calls out for an engine oil, then it doesn't need GL-5.
If it calls out for 10w-30 engine oil, then 90 weight gear oil will be thicker than what they are recommending. Worst thing would be that it may sling out an overflow on occasion.

Personally, I would opt out of a GL-5, and would opt out of a motor oil.
Its picking the fly [crap] out of the pepper, but, I want the emulsifiers commonly found in gear oils, and I don't care to have a bunch of sulfurized olefins if I don't have to.

So ideally something that has GL-4 level of performance, is designed for gearboxes/geartrains, and is 80-85 weight.
  • Redline Shockproof lightweight
  • Royal Purple Synchromax
  • Pennzoil Synchromesh MTF
  • Valvoline Synchromesh MTF
  • Supertech UTF
If you wanna be super cheap, supertech 15w-40 CK-4 still has enough phos to be GL-4, and will shear from 90 into 80 weight gear oil.

after some looking I realized that Honda's spec of 10W-30 in the rear end isn't crazy...engine oil and gear oil are not apples to apples on the weight scale, meaning 80/90W gear oil overlaps with 30 / 40 weight engine oil. So using a 10W-30 engine oil in the rear end is similar to using an 80 or 90W gear oil. With regular fluid changes it probably won't make any difference at all in the Navi..you'll never wear out the rear end.

The Navi has a CVT. Why would you use hypoid gear oil in a CVT?

Use what it's spec'd for. You don't need to use Honda brand oil, but gear oil will screw up a CVT.

Use what it's spec'd for. You don't need to use Honda brand oil, but gear oil will screw up a CVT.
Rear wheel is sitting on the shaft with gears. That shaft is connected through a CVT belt to the engine crankshaft. Engine oil, CVT components, and rear gear oil are in all different enclosures. So neither the engine oil or the gear oil ever touch a CVT belt/clutch/variation. (Unless seals blow out and there is severe leakage somehow... Very unlikely.)

Rear wheel is sitting on the shaft with gears. That shaft is connected through a CVT belt to the engine crankshaft. Engine oil, CVT components, and rear gear oil are in all different enclosures. So neither the engine oil or the gear oil ever touch a CVT belt/clutch/variation. (Unless seals blow out and there is severe leakage somehow... Very unlikely.)
Thanks for the clarification. I'm usually the first one to try something new if I see a potential benefit, but I don't see any upside to the gear oil. Even if the risk is very small, it's unnecessary.

had 6 or 7 different scoots that spec'd 80w-90 or 85w-140 gear oil in the rear differential...seems normal to me! using engine oil is new to me...

Back