M1-110A C&P - 4750 miles

Decided to cut open the oil filter off of the RDX after an oil change today. I was curious to see I’d see any of the carbonaceous material others have found after their first run with HPL. The oil used was HPL’s PCMO 5W-30. This RDX has spent the vast majority of its life on Amsoil, so I thought it would be fun to see what, if anything, was left behind. The filter media was clean as a whistle, though. No debris in the bottom of the can, nor in the media. The can is very well built, with evenly spaced and plentiful pleats, a good ADBV, and thick outer can width. I’m really starting to like the M1 oil filters. I’ve yet to see a bad one. This was my first time cutting a filter open, so if you want to see something I didn’t capture, let me know and I’ll know for next time. I did slice my thumb pretty good though, so I’m debating if there will be a next time!

IMG_2609.jpeg
IMG_2610.jpeg
IMG_2611.jpeg
IMG_2612.jpeg
IMG_2613.jpeg
IMG_2614.jpeg
IMG_2615.jpeg
IMG_2616.jpeg

Very clean! Must be prior Oil/ODI? Since it appears to be really clean you could step up to a more efficient filter & you might see the debris you're after.

Filter looks well built and held together nicely, I believe they are 99% at 30 Microns and it is a louver style design so for literally the same amount of money you could also get the Fram Synthetic Endurance which is 99% at 20 Microns.

Nothing special or anything popping out in regards to HPL, just looks like a typical maintained vehicles used oil filter.

Nothing special or anything popping out in regards to HPL, just looks like a typical maintained vehicles used oil filter.
Other members have used off-the-shelf synthetics and found carbonaceous material in their filters when the switch to HPL. There are a multitude of things it could be why I didn't when they did- interval used, oils used, filter used, etc. I wasn't trying to draw any conclusions, just wanted to share what I found. I do not think any less of HPL. In fact, I was hopeful that this would be what I found.

Decided to cut open the oil filter off of the RDX after an oil change today. I was curious to see I’d see any of the carbonaceous material others have found after their first run with HPL. The oil used was HPL’s PCMO 5W-30. This RDX has spent the vast majority of its life on Amsoil, so I thought it would be fun to see what, if anything, was left behind. The filter media was clean as a whistle, though. No debris in the bottom of the can, nor in the media. The can is very well built, with evenly spaced and plentiful pleats, a good ADBV, and thick outer can width. I’m really starting to like the M1 oil filters. I’ve yet to see a bad one. This was my first time cutting a filter open, so if you want to see something I didn’t capture, let me know and I’ll know for next time. I did slice my thumb pretty good though, so I’m debating if there will be a next time!

View attachment 167765View attachment 167766View attachment 167767View attachment 167768View attachment 167769View attachment 167770View attachment 167771View attachment 167772
Great write up and pics. Thank You. Guessing more HPL went in and another same M1 filter?

Nice work sir 👍🇺🇸🍻

Back