M1 10w30 or 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a recent convert to the site and am changing my way based on the information here.

I have a '00 Ford Crown Victoria (wife's car) with about 115,000 miles on it. I have been running the Mobil 1 10w30 (not EP) with the Motorcraft filter and changing at 3,000 miles. I have changed to the PureOne filter and a 5,000 mile change interval (old habits are hard to break). I live in sunny South Texas where it rarely gets below freezing. Is there any reason to run the 5w30 and will I be wasting money to run the Mobil 1 EP.

The PureOne filters cost about twice what the Motorcraft filters cost. I understand the Motorcraft filter 820S also has synthetic media and is a pretty good filter. Should I just use it instead of the PureOne?

I think either filter will serve you well for a 5K OCI. I'd use the Motorcraft based on price (and probably just as good of quality). I think you would be wasting money running EP for that short OCI. In your climate (and with 115K) I'd stick with 10w30 regular M1, Motorcraft filter and a 6 month or 6K OCI. I think this combo would easily get you another 100K or more out of that car.

I was at our local super Wallmart a few days ago and the EP was only 40 or 50 some cents more than the regular M1 so I sprang for the EP.

I've always used M1 for years and like you before coming here I also always changed out at 3k. Having become a little better educated now I go closer to 6k or so. I don't really want to bother with getting any UOA's done so 6 or 7k is the longest I'd like to go.

Yes you would be wasting your money. Between the two, stick with the plain old Mobil 1. 5W-30 (or 10W-30) is fine. Either filter will do the job. Go with the cheaper of the two filters.

quote:

I was at our local super Wallmart a few days ago and the EP was only 40 or 50 some cents more than the regular M1 so I sprang for the EP.

When I was at Walmart Tuesday, 5qt jugs of regular M1 10w-30 was $20, EP 10w-30 was $26. Not worth the $1/qt (or so) difference if you're going to be running 5K intervals IMHO.

Thanks for the info. I think I will go back to the Motorcraft filter although I did like the pretty blue of the PureOne filter. I gonna stick with the PureOne filters on the ZX-10R and the old Chevy truck.

The Motorcraft filter is good. I prefer it over the Pure Ones due to the threaded-end ADBV. Regular M-1 is all you need. Even a 50-50 mix of Drive Clean 5000 and M-1 would go 5K very easy.

Try www.crownvic.net . It's a great forum for Crown Vic, Grand Marq, and Town Car owners. I'm Islandvic2 over there.

That site (plus me) love the MoCraft FL820S filter. I use it on my '96 Vic and '01 Gmarq.

M1 for 5k mile OCI is underusing the oil. In my '01 GMarq w/ 31k miles, I use MoCraft 5-20 blend with 820S filter for 4-5k mile OCI's.

In the Vic w/ 146k miles, I just finished a 6500 mile OCI on 5-30 Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic, now it's on M1 5-30 for a 7k mile OCI.

You should run 5-30 in your wife's Vic. It really needs 5-20, but 5-30 will work especially after 100k miles on the odo. M1 w/ MoCraft filter in Kingsville could easliy go past 5k mile OCI's with no trouble IMO.

Since your Vic is over 100k, my I suggest the following...

Decarbonize your combustion chambers with Seafoam
Clean MAF sensor with Quick Dry Electric Contact Cleaner
New Plat Plugs
Run SeaFoam in the gas tank
New PCV Valve

Those inexpensive tune-ups helped my older Vic regain some lost MPG's.

Follow the Trans Service Tech Article written by John G on the www.crownvic.net forum

Good stuff over there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back