M1 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good oil and likely well suited for your climate if you car calls for a 40 weight. I have used it in the past and it worked like a champ.

I changed my generators to it for the winter just the other day.

Urban legend sez it cuts consumption soz I'm runnin it in my oil suckin Chrysler minivan. Really weird yellow stuff ... compared to green gummy-bear GC in my Buick Century. It's 'European car' oil (hi ht/hs). Seems to have slowed my leak from .99qt/1k to .5qt/1k (just added the .5 today). Along with a Trasko filter, I looked and it's still the same color yellow as the oil out of the bottle.

This oil is finally starting to show up in normal outlets up here in Toronto, it's now in Parts Source stores, which are owned by Canadian Tire. I believe I saw a price of $7.69 per liter. There is a new Parts Source location in Brampton, on Kennedy just south of Queen.

MB rank oils

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

In view of extended drain etc are there any downsides in non MB engines, very few recommendend above 40 and 0W must give the best start up protection.

With older engines the recommended oil was 20W50 Mineral.However this recommendation is 30years old pre synth.

If engines rebuilt what would be the current recommendation?

I just drained it out of my Navara Turbodiesel this morning after 10,000km.

Save a litre mid stream to send away.

It appeared to hold up pretty good, not running out like water, and no chunks. Filter housing cleaned up really well.

Put Castrol formulaR 0W-40 (reputedly BP Visco 7000) back in it. Slightly lower visc @100, same HTHS, and a higher Sulfated Ash than the M1.

we'll see.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
For what. Need more specifics.
What vehicle, what engine, miles on engine, miles driven between OCI ect.

Yeah, i think the 0W-40 if great, but we need to know more. One size doesn't fit all.

How many miles on the re-build??

We can't extrapolate what's good for a new Benz onto a V-8 that recommended 20-50.

This is especially true on a shop re-build.

M1 0W40 cut the oil consumption on our old Saturn from 1qt/1000 mi on 5W30 dino to one pint/3000 mi. Not cost effective but a safeguard for a car that is away at college and not getting my normal maintenance oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back