M1 0W20 HM shear?

I'm wondering if this oil is decent at staying in grade. What are your thoughts, and I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has any UOA's or other info to speak of I'd like to know what you saw. I'm not seeing any UOA's with the search.

The 100C viscosity is thicker than most 5W20's at 8.8 but they do not list the HTHS.

All motor oils shear

Stay in grade? its a 20 already... I wouldn't worry about it turning into a 16, 12, or 8

HTHS is 2.6-2.8 pretty much all 20's are with a few outliers like Redline/MPT

All motor oils shear

Stay in grade? its a 20 already... I wouldn't worry about it turning into a 16, 12, or 8

It seems you are insinuating that a lower viscosity oil shears less than a higher viscosity? I genuinely don't know.

All motor oils shear

Not really, a monograde oil will not shear. Only multi-viscosity oils will exhibit mechanical shear and that is dependent on the application (engine) and the quality and quantity of the VII.

This is some crazy stuff.

Based on this article, viscosity can be seen increasing as an oil picks up contaminants, yet molecular chains flatten and/or are destroyed lowering HTHS... I believe I have that right?

5 years old

So the shearing of an oil is not meaningful on its own and you may actually see viscosity rise. Viscosity may increase while the protection the oil offers via HTHS diminishes. Ya'll probably know all this, I'm just 'thinking out loud'.

This is some crazy stuff.

Based on this article, viscosity can be seen increasing as an oil picks up contaminants, yet molecular chains flatten and/or are destroyed lowering HTHS... I believe I have that right?

5 years old

So the shearing of an oil is not meaningful on its own and you may actually see viscosity rise. Viscosity may increase while the protection the oil offers via HTHS diminishes. Ya'll probably know all this, I'm just 'thinking out loud'.
It would be interesting to see if labs can test HT/HS of used oil, and at what cost.

Back