Phosphorus 463
Zinc 935
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @210 F 56.4
Flashpoint 390
Fuel Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insoluubles 0.3

The Copper stands out. This is the 2nd run of M1 0W-20. The Honda V6 has a history of high copper. This fill was in all summer. And we had our Pilot loaded down with kids on a few long trips. I think the copper will come down.

Yeah, the copper is quite high. Pushing 15ppm per 1K miles, I'd be concerned, loaded down trip or not. Honda's do have historic high copper levels, but not this much. Hope it is from being loaded down because if not, what's next? First, Honda is having transmission problems, now this?????

If the copper is a trend I will be alarmed. Blackstone says"We think this is lingering wear in from from brass and bronze parts"
The next few UOA's will tell. One UOA does not spell doom

I would think the copper is not a problem. If the bearings or top end where wearing you would see high lead and tin with the copper. Excellent analysis in my opinion.

I own the same engine and have a few UOA's on it. That copper is high, not at the dangerous level otherwise other numbers would be out of whack. I'm just leary of running longer OCI's (>3000 miles) for the first 15-20K in this engine.

The UOA looks good. Even though your copper seems high I seem to remember other UOA's with Honda V-6's and they had "high" looking copper numbers also. And since you only have 12,000+ miles when you did this oil change your engine is still really breaking in. With your next oil change do another UOA to see if the copper is reduced and have Terry Dyson give you his professional analysis. It'll be worth it for peace of mind.

Whimsey

With only 3 OCI's, your motor seems to be one of the 'cleaner' breaking Honda v6.

Sure copper is high but its a given with these motors, everything else is normal with insolubles low as well. How was the mileage accumulated?

I have the same SUV, my copper was 66 at 10kmi, with 5000 miles on M1 0W30. I have another sample in queue, taken at 16Kmis. I think the high copper has been attributed to the oil cooler.

My iron was 20, and SI was 30. Your numbers look great. Did they give you a TBN? My TBN was 8.1, that's why I pushed the OCI from 5K to 6K.

I don't do a lot of oil sampling but on our 2001 Ody I sent in one sample at 60,339 miles and the copper was 14. This was on Pennzoil 5W-30 put in when my daughter and son-in-law were using it for a couple of months down in FL. I had Mobil 1 in it at the time and did not think he would change the oil.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back