M-1 0-40 vs. 15-50???

Status
Not open for further replies.
From M-1's website:

Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM 0W-40:
Flows at -54°C (-65°F).
Meets ACEA A3/B3/B4-02 and the performance specifications of European automakers, including Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and BMW.
Approved against both MB 229.3 and MB 229.5 for use all Mercedes-Benz passenger vehicles.
Specified on the Porsche Approval List 2002 and is factory fill for all Porsche vehicles.
Approved against BMW Longlife 01.
Approved against Volkswagen/Audi 502.00/505.00/503.01.
Approved against GM (Saab/Opel) GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline) and GM-LL-B-025 (diesel).
Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM 15W-50
Flows at -45°C (-49°F), pumps at temperatures as low as many conventional SAE 5W-30 oils.
Provides superior high-temperature protection for high-performance and high-revving cars.
Contains additional wear protection required for racing type engines.

The 0-40 has a plethera of qualifying specs...can the same specs/qualifications be extrapolated to the 15-50 or is the 0-40 simply a better oil?

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
The 0-40 has a plethera of qualifying specs...can the same specs/qualifications be extrapolated to the 15-50 or is the 0-40 simply a better oil?

If it's not on the bottle, it doesn't meet the spec. However, it's probably the fuel economy and cold weather requirments of those various auto maker specs that keeps the 15w50 out of the game.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
It's just weird that my local Porsche dealership uses the 15-50 in "older Porsches" as the burn-off is too great with the 0-40..and yet it doesn't say anything about being "Porsche approved" on the spec sheet.

I am finding that when a car gets up in miles and starts using oil, the manufacturer's recommendations go out the window for reasons of practicality. Manufacturer's recommendations are based on a sound engine in good to excellent mechanical condition.

It's just weird that my local Porsche dealership uses the 15-50 in "older Porsches" as the burn-off is too great with the 0-40..and yet it doesn't say anything about being "Porsche approved" on the spec sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back