LVP Flooring

Mannington. I can't remember what the style name was. Filed somewhere. Rigid core.

We really went for something dogS and catS can't scratch. So far so good.

EDIT: You know the main drawback? REAL Wood floor is way way more beautiful. No one can deny that. We have stone, then maple downstairs other than washrooms, kitchen, laundry - those are stone tile.

Minor drawback is supposed to be the noise, but seems like not a big issue.

My my office down and wife's office (up), bedrooms and bonus room (up) are all LVP. Baffrooms up are stone tile as well.

We have nice rugs in all the rooms - maybe why noise not an issue, and I for the first time in my life got to pick a rug out (for my office). Wife chuckles at silly me.

Last edited:
Which brand did you use?

Cost - plus some folks like to periodically replace (update) to match current color schemes. I don't see any floor being used for more than 10 years anyway, so LVP should last long enough.
Every house I’ve lived in has original floors. 10
Years?!? This isn’t carpet. 100 year old floors can look beautiful with a little care.

I do get the color scheme part if it’s being used like hard carpet.

Every house I’ve lived in has original floors. 10
Years?!? This isn’t carpet. 100 year old floors can look beautiful with a little care.

I do get the color scheme part if it’s being used like hard carpet.
If you have original hardwood floors there is ZERO need for LVP.

Our house was build in 2014, all the rooms we went with LVP were nasty carpet.

Goal for us? CARPET GONE!!

We did add HD carpet to the stairs after removal of the old carpet. Only place with carpet in our house.

If you have original hardwood floors there is ZERO need for LVP.

Our house was build in 2014, all the rooms we went with LVP were nasty carpet.

Goal for us? CARPET GONE!!

We did add HD carpet to the stairs after removal of the old carpet. Only place with carpet in our house.
Well I get it, but if you are looking to change the floors, once and for all to hardwood is the option I personally think is best.

Carpet is kind of nasty, though I like “real” persian rugs. And it is kind of nice to have in bedrooms. We went that route, carpet over original wood, since it is nice for kids to sit, etc. Shoes are never on in our house, I don’t think a shoe has ever touched the upstairs carpet.

Don’t go cheap on LVP. You’ll be sorry.
This is the stuff to get.
Exactly. I put the Home Depot Lifetime brand down in our beach house kitchen. It is excellent and installation was straightforward.
I went with the HD bargain brand in our laundry room main house...total crap and difficult to install. Lesson learned.

Any thoughts on Cortec Grande with the 30mil wear layer?

IMG_9065.jpeg

Wow, Im liking this section of BITOG.
Talk about flooring, every room in our new home except bathrooms and laundry room is Shaw Laminate Flooring. This story is too long.
Anyway, just in the last week the builder and flooring company that they used has agreed to tear out all the Laminate Flooring and replace. They will pay movers to move our furniture out, pay for us to live someplace for 3 days while they replace it all.
I would liken it to improper installation. Its really not horrible in anyway, some might be shocked that they are doing this but the only way to do it right is go from one end of the house to the other with new floor and I think a different type of under layment. Shaw is no longer going to sell Laminate in the residential market but will continue to with builders and in buildings, such as condo etc.

Laminate and LVP both have positives and negatives.
As of right now they are replacing with the same. We love the floor but having second thoughts. Anyone interested can simply search Laminate vs LVP for the positives and negatives of both.

Anyway the most durable I would consider to be LVP by a wide margin, for only one reason, being it is vinyl it is truly waterproof.
Laminate, no matter how much they try to properly seal it, under it all is the equal of particle board. Moisture can affect it.
Mohawk is a brand that will warranty water proof up to ten years on their laminate.
The key here is proper installation and honestly it's not really meant for kitchens or any moisture areas.
So why bother with it? Comfort. It's easier on the feet and will not get that cold feeling like vinyl in the winter. Meaning insulate better.

Ok, LVP AWESOME, SOME OF THE SELECTIONS NOW look REALLY nice. Wife and I have gone nuts the last week trying to decide if we should ask the builder to consider replacing with LVP. We have read, looked at other homes the builder is doing with LVP and just yesterday took photos of LVP samples at the model home.

We asked the builder if we could have the option to use LVP instead. They had a meeting about this with the installer. IF the builder gives the go ahead we are going to go with LVP for the durability. However we do know someone in the industry who says they are both good but prefers the laminate as long as it is installed right for the more natural and warmth factor.

ANYWAY to the OP, this person in the industry suggested to us, no matter what we choose, LAMINATE OR LVP TO GO WITH NAME BRAND MOHAWK OR SHAW. Avoid everything else. Im not saying I agree with that but I am saying these two companies seems to be safe bets as I have seen reference to the same in articles.

If our builder allows the floor to be replaced with LVP instead of what is already here which is Shaw Laminate we are hoping to have this installed. One of these two LVP colors. We have seen it in one of the new homes currently under construction. With that said, this family of products comes in a wide range of color choices. We like the light spectrum > There is also the possibility they may insist on replacing what is here and we mostly ok with that, its just with laminate we will always fear water damage and that might be unfounded but it wont happen with LVP. At the same time the Laminate will feel more "real" tough call but if anyone asked us. I would say LVP is the go to product. UNLESS it will be in living spaces that do not include kitchen, dining room an dog course baths and laundry.

IMG_8175.JPG
IMG_8174.JPG

Any thoughts on Cortec Grande with the 30mil wear layer?

View attachment 221612
The numbers are certainly robust... not sure if it matters at this point of 20 or 30 mil Also not sure if wear layer is the holy grail of all things once we get up to these numbers. Actual construction and how those wear levels last ... would be another. Kind of like tread depth of the tire, some will last longer, some not as long and the longest lasting dont necessarily mean that they started with the largest depth is my feeling.
Pricey unless that incudes installation.
PS, I know nothing about flooring except in our search the last two weeks as I posted above. Dont think I would be interested in anything that would last much longer than 15years, I would want something new by then.

Back