Lunacy

So we just bought a 2023 Range Rover Velar for the wife. Looking at the owners manual, which is the worst layout I have ever seen, I finally found the maintenance intervals. The oil change interval is the longest that I have seen yet. Two years or 21,000 miles. I said ***. That is just crazy. Now I am not an OCD oil guy like most on this site. But there is no way I am gonna go that far. I will opt for half of that. Now I have to research which 0w20 oil meets the Land Rover / Jaguar spec.

Don

Not sure which engine you have. The Jag AJ V6 and V8 engines do experience timing chain and tensioner issues over time with the low viscosity oil and extended intervals. Jag did move to larger rod bearings to accommodate the low viscosity, they do seem to hold up. I drive a modified F-Type 3.0V6 in Florida and I’m looking into oil choices now. Prob 5000 mile OCI’s. There is no way a complex and non repairable Jag DI engine is a good match for such extended OCI’s.

Yeah, too long but they are selling convenience for the first owner, and provide only one or two courtesy services during the warranty period.

We have a '20 RR HSE P400 and I do ~10K changes, in between the dealer changes.

BTW, the oil change on these is probably the easiest and cleanest of any car I have owned.

Here's the oil;
Castrol Pro 0w-20

lro.jpg

Only two oils I've seen repeatedly that meet the LR 0w20 spec are either dealer only Castrol pictured above or Liqui-Moly, and the dealer oil is more readily available in our area, and cheaper.

The capacity is 7 liters or 7.4 quarts. I have a year before I will do the first change. Maybe I will get lucky and the price will come down some

Don

My BMW's OLM called for 24,000 Km (15,000 mile) changes. The shop foreman said if I planned to keep the car long term I should half that. I changed the oil half way between official OLM based changes, but without resetting the OLM. That kept the regular maintenance schedule on track.

As the filter was good for 24,000 Km I didn't change it at those half interval changes. That would make it dead easy for any do-it-yourselfer to do the half way changes at very low cost - ie the cost of the oil.

I don't recall exactly but it had a +/- 5 liter sump. And of course I always used BMW LL-01 approved oil.

Motul Specific 5122 0W-20 has JAGUAR STJLR.51.5122 OEM approval. Amazon shows 67.59 for 5L or 63.36 (each) if you get the case of 4. JEImportPerformance online has it for 60.09.

With those kind of high prices the 21k mile OCI is starting to look a lot more reasonable (except when the car gets out of warranty and has massive repair bills).

JMO.
It's why RR's that come through my center are leaking oil and with a MIL on.
Granted they are older out of warranty. They are junk, lease only, sell when the warranty is over vehicles.
Depreciation is brutal. The old, old Rovers were tanks.
All are very capable off road. It's getting to the road without issues that's the issue.
If you are patient and handy with a wrench it might be something to consider.
20k OCI?

For 2023 Land Rover Velar engine oil, Castrol's online product finder is saying:

SORRY!
No product recommendations.
Unfortunately we cannot determine a suitable product for your vehicle. This may be because we do not have a product that matches your vehicle’s specifications, or more information regarding your vehicle is needed.
Please consult your owner’s manual, vehicle manufacturer or the dealership where your vehicle was purchased for further details.

The motor oil for STJLR 03.5006 spec must not be in production yet, since Castrol is supposed to be the original and official partner/ supplier of Jaguar/Land Rover.

If you've reached the mileage or time point where the oil must be changed, I would consider an older JLR spec in the same viscosity range. Unless you'd like to get a dealer oil change.

Yeah, too long but they are selling convenience for the first owner, and provide only one or two courtesy services during the warranty period.

I think this is exactly it. They aren't expecting the typical first owner to have it long, but do expect them to be annoyed by maintenance. It's not an old Defender.

Back