Lump or Briquets

Difference can be rather big...

Kingsford Hardwood briquettes and former Kingsford Competition briquettes are way, way, way better than even regular Kingsford briquettes...

How ??

Kingsford Hardwood briquettes and the Competition briquettes get hot way, way way faster... I could prep steaks and in the time it took to do that... Using those two charcoal briquettes the fire was burning hot with its own hot flames and ready to cook on...

And... If slow cooking or smoking pork ribs or beef ribs... The Hardwood briquettes and Competition briquettes are great because you could add 8-10 unlit briquettes to the fire and they would catch so well that the temperature remained quite consistent... That is not possible with regular Kingsford briquettes...

The Hardwood briquettes and Competition briquettes really have a great smell to them too... So all I have to do is add one chunk of hickory wood to the very periphery of the fire to accent those briquettes...

Well worth $12.87 a bag from Home Depot or Lowe's...
Thanks for that. I should disclose I have a natural gas grill so I rarely if ever break out the charcoal anymore, this discussion makes me wish I did.

Difference can be rather big...

Kingsford Hardwood briquettes and former Kingsford Competition briquettes are way, way, way better than even regular Kingsford briquettes...

How ??

Kingsford Hardwood briquettes and the Competition briquettes get hot way, way way faster... I could prep steaks and in the time it took to do that... Using those two charcoal briquettes the fire was burning hot with its own hot flames and ready to cook on...

And... If slow cooking or smoking pork ribs or beef ribs... The Hardwood briquettes and Competition briquettes are great because you could add 8-10 unlit briquettes to the fire and they would catch so well that the temperature remained quite consistent... That is not possible with regular Kingsford briquettes...

The Hardwood briquettes and Competition briquettes really have a great smell to them too... So all I have to do is add one chunk of hickory wood to the very periphery of the fire to accent those briquettes...

Well worth $12.87 a bag from Home Depot or Lowe's...
10-4 Bradley … that’s why I use standard Kingsford to start with … easy to light, not too hot, but don’t last long !
I’m going to put something else on top depending on the mission …
My gas grill was replaced with a 5 burner stove with an oven …

10-4 Bradley … that’s why I use standard Kingsford to start with … easy to light, not too hot, but don’t last long !
I’m going to put something else on top depending on the mission …
My gas grill was replaced with a 5 burner stove with an oven …

Try those Kingsford Hardwood briquettes... Seriously... They really are really, really quite good... And they smell great too.

I can make a large enough fire to make the handle so hot that I have to use a mit to take it off with... However I only have 1/3 of my grill space allotted for fire... 2/3 is set up for indirect heat cooking or smoking... And if I use enough Kingsford Hardwood briquettes... In that 1/3 space... It burns super hot... And cooking very high indirect heat is easier, stress free and cooks steaks or chicken extremely well. Hot enough to put a great char on the steaks or chicken... Quite impressive only using 1/3 of the space.

Build a small fire... For smoking hot dogs or beef ribs or real smoked spiral hams or pork ribs..

Had this same Webber grill now for 8 years. Still works extremely well.

This is all you need for briquets, twin packs usually go on sale for holidays.
View attachment 32361

Yes. Usually found for about $10 around the big 3 summer holidays.

I have had the best luck (heat) with briquettes. For a while, our Walmart had Royal Oak briquettes that were around the $10 price for 2 15-18lb bags (can’t remember size exactly). While Kingsford is my go to, I couldnt tell a difference in performance between the 2. I backed the truck up back in March and had about 2 carts full. Got a lot of looks.

No more Royal Oak at my WM now sadly.

Doesn't a charcoal, regardless of form or brand just provide heat for cooking? What differences would there be? I could see where some cheap brands don't properly pyrolyze the starting material, but assuming it was manufactured properly what qualitative differences are there?

We sometimes think a discussion of oil and filters is overboard, wait til you get into the area of charcoal. LOL

Yes, it does provides heat. But it also provides differing flavors, different burn times, different temps, etc.
Some charcoal is made from demolished buildings, scrap treated lumber, yuck. Some is made from tree wood
from South America. Some is made from good 'ol USA wood. Yep, talk about a can of worms.

I've been experimenting with charcoals lately. Cooked up a bunch of stuff the other day on Royal Oak. Not only was it difficult to light, but it consumed itself faster than the food was cooking, and temps went down into the mid 200's in my classic Weber. In the end, my food was absolutely delicious, but took about an hour to cook.

Regular Kingsford would have done the job in half the time.
Mesquite and Hickory Kingsford does add a mild smoke flavor and I like both.
Cowboy charcoal is much like Royal Oak, runs out of heat faster than I'd like.

I'm going to try the Hardwood Kingsford next, along with the Competition. Costco "had" the Competition in a two-pack, but they were sold out today. Ugh.

I guess that in the end, it's Briquettes for me. I'll put up with the extra ash for the longer and more consistent heat.

GlrayED.jpg

I use a mix of lump and briquet charcoal when I smoke meat in my wood fired smoker along with some firewood. I use briquest charcoal in my Weber kettle. I prefer Royal Oak. Kingsford ahs a weird smell. I have also used the Ember's brand from HD with good luck. Nothing beats a charcoal grilled Ribeye!

Just my $0.02

Back