Lump or Briquets

I know to use Lump in my KJ. If I decide to purchase a PK or Weber grill just to grill steaks, HB, HD, etc, do I still use Lump or should I use briquets? It seems

for grilling most people (according to YouTube) are using briquets. If so, how do I determine what is the "best" briquet?

This is all you need for briquets, twin packs usually go on sale for holidays.
044600312392.jpg

Briquettes and I’ll tell you why. Every bag of lump charcoal, that I have purchased, had rocks in it. I’m buying charcoal and not rocks.

Doesn't a charcoal, regardless of form or brand just provide heat for cooking? What differences would there be? I could see where some cheap brands don't properly pyrolyze the starting material, but assuming it was manufactured properly what qualitative differences are there?

the uniform coals are pressed from a mixture … others are direct wood products

You can get all your questions answered here, great site for grilling and smoking.

Kingsford Hardwood briquettes...and Royal Oak lump charcoal...

Kingsford Hardwood =Amazing good smell... Burn really hot... Get hot very very fast... Fast enough you can add them to a fire and temperature does not drop much and recovers very very quickly... $12.87 a bag but WORTH it in my opinion.

Cut your air supply down and you can use Kingsford Hardwood briquettes to smoke pork ribs beef ribs etc etc... Just have to add some every hour to maintain heat level.

Royal Oak is very good for fast cooking like steaks... And it is versatile enough to be used in smoking too... Though I would use the Kingsford Hardwood briquettes more in line with that...

Doesn't a charcoal, regardless of form or brand just provide heat for cooking? What differences would there be? I could see where some cheap brands don't properly pyrolyze the starting material, but assuming it was manufactured properly what qualitative differences are there?

Difference can be rather big...

Kingsford Hardwood briquettes and former Kingsford Competition briquettes are way, way, way better than even regular Kingsford briquettes...

How ??

Kingsford Hardwood briquettes and the Competition briquettes get hot way, way way faster... I could prep steaks and in the time it took to do that... Using those two charcoal briquettes the fire was burning hot with its own hot flames and ready to cook on...

And... If slow cooking or smoking pork ribs or beef ribs... The Hardwood briquettes and Competition briquettes are great because you could add 8-10 unlit briquettes to the fire and they would catch so well that the temperature remained quite consistent... That is not possible with regular Kingsford briquettes...

The Hardwood briquettes and Competition briquettes really have a great smell to them too... So all I have to do is add one chunk of hickory wood to the very periphery of the fire to accent those briquettes...

Well worth $12.87 a bag from Home Depot or Lowe's...

Back