luggage

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son and daughter-in-law are going to Finland for a month. I have been thinking about getting them a large heavy duty suitcase with wheels. Any suggestions as to a reasonable priced suitcase and where to buy it.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Helen

I would go with Ricardo Beverly hills luggage at Costco. Ricardo Luggage They are light weight flexible and easy to roll. They also can withstand 250 lbs on them.

I've had a set of Sportsman's luggage (don't quite understand the name) that has been through many an airport over the last 14 years and still doing well!

Here

Anyone have any experience with these?

They are a little $$$, but they will soon pay for themselves when they outlast the cheap stuff.

*IIRC, they used to be available in different colors so picking them out at luggage claim would be very simple. Almost had a guy roll away with my suitcase while in Hawaii. He somehow thought it was his even with the yellow zip ties and mickey mouse name tag. Lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97prizm
I would go with Ricardo Beverly hills luggage at Costco. Ricardo Luggage They are light weight flexible and easy to roll. They also can withstand 250 lbs on them.

Yes, very good luggage.

I would recommend TravelPro. It is the #1 choice for anyone who travels frequently, and they are a big supplier to the airlines. Be sure to spend a bit more for the Platinum series which gives you a warranty for carrier-caused damage. They are one of the only manufacturers to do that. What it means is that if the airline/rail company smashes up the bag, TravelPro will cover any damage. ANYTHING.

As a frequent traveler, this is what goes through my mind when I see various luggage:

Tumi = I have tons of money and just bought what was the most expensive

Ricardo = I have tons of money but did my research

Victorionox = I recognized the logo and accidentally got good luggage

Travelpro = I refuse to get ripped off but still want the best

Originally Posted By: jorton
Don't forget to check with the airlines. They may have a size/weight limit on baggage.

Yep. For any of the standard jets you are fine with a 20/21" roll-aboard, sometimes even 22" as long as you don't sit in the very front of the cabin where the overhead bins aren't as deep. If you use the regional jets (the smaller Embraers, Bombardiers, etc) like Delta Connection and United Express have, the carry-on size is much smaller.

Worth noting is that the roll-aboard suitcases with casters (four wheels that can spin 360) are either bigger suitcases that may not be carry-on, or the interior space is noticeably smaller. I still suggest going with the standard two-wheel design for that reason.

Victorinox.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fiel...;tag=mozilla-20

Hope they enjoy Finland, My country of birth.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jorton
Don't forget to check with the airlines. They may have a size/weight limit on baggage.

Are they flying direct, or will they need to transfer?

If they transfer, Europe has several Budget carriers that offer VERY low rates, BUT you pay Big Time for luggage, and have strict restrictions on Cabin baggage.

Just be aware Before you buy.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Here

Anyone have any experience with these?

They are a little $$$, but they will soon pay for themselves when they outlast the cheap stuff.

*IIRC, they used to be available in different colors so picking them out at luggage claim would be very simple. Almost had a guy roll away with my suitcase while in Hawaii. He somehow thought it was his even with the yellow zip ties and mickey mouse name tag. Lol.

Those look nice, I like the hard sides. For something that will fit into the overhead, check out www.luggageworks.com; at 15 lbs or less and with replaceable rollerblade wheels you can't go wrong.

We got a 29" hard side (but super light) one for long trips where we will definitely check luggage. That said, I think 25" four wheel rollers are the optimum mix, with a 21" for carry on. I recently bought samsonite after trying them all out. They had the least issues to me. The top of the line one was great, but I bought one model under that.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We got a 29" hard side (but super light) one for long trips where we will definitely check luggage. That said, I think 25" four wheel rollers are the optimum mix, with a 21" for carry on. I recently bought samsonite after trying them all out. They had the least issues to me. The top of the line one was great, but I bought one model under that.

Samsonite is far from what they used to be (though they still love surviving on name alone). Their stuff is fine for occasional travel, but if you are traveling a lot I would not count on it surviving much abuse.

I get on a plane 2 to 4 times a week and weight matters.
Buy the lightest luggage from costco.

The questions comes to down to hard shell or softshell,
I like the lightweight hardshell for long haul but I make sure I put a luggage band on the outside.

Luggage is like a camper, it is not if it will break but when. So buying from costco gives you the protection.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
I get on a plane 2 to 4 times a week and weight matters.
Buy the lightest luggage from costco.

The questions comes to down to hard shell or softshell,
I like the lightweight hardshell for long haul but I make sure I put a luggage band on the outside.

Luggage is like a camper, it is not if it will break but when. So buying from costco gives you the protection.

+1. Remember, the heavier your luggage the less you'll be able to carry before you hit the excess weight limit which will add an additional fee. So take a fishing scale when you shop.

Thank you all for your help. My daughter in law is from Finland and she wants to visit her family once every 2 years. Her parents come out here once every 2 years so they are able to see each year. I took her shopping for luggage and she chose a hot pink Samsonite. She did not want to spend much and had planed to get one at Wal-Mart. Thanks to you guys she is thrilled to have something better than a Wal-Mart special.

Very informative - we're also thinking of upgrading our pretty old luggage (cheap stuff) finally...
Will check the Brands mentioned in thread..

Hot pink Samsonite.................

That ought to be easy to spot on the baggage carousel, Helen!!

Thread revival: REALLY need to get luggage, and have decided to go with 2 full sized hard sided for checking in (1 each for wife and me) but NON hard sides for carry on - (can even use the ones we have right now, actually).

However, due to our bad habit of over-packing, we really need to get two HARD sided check-in bags...

Trying to decide between: 24" or 29" size for check-in? (our travels include long intl trips 2-3 times a year)
And then Ricardo or TravelPro ?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Thread revival: REALLY need to get luggage, and have decided to go with 2 full sized hard sided for checking in (1 each for wife and me) but NON hard sides for carry on - (can even use the ones we have right now, actually).

However, due to our bad habit of over-packing, we really need to get two HARD sided check-in bags...

Trying to decide between: 24" or 29" size for check-in? (our travels include long intl trips 2-3 times a year)
And then Ricardo or TravelPro ?

I'd go big or go home. I overpack all the time too, never know when you'll need the extra clothes or shoes or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back