Lug nut torque ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a question for u guys. I had new tires put on. The place used an impact on the lugs. I bought a click type torque wrench. And I want to loosen the lugs and re torque them.

My ? Is, Can I leave tires on the ground and lossen each lug and re do them? Or do I need tire off ground to do a first tightening? Thanks in advance!

It won't mess up the seating. The acorn shape on the other lug nuts will keep it centered if your hub bore is oversized... and the hub bore will seat/center if they're stock rims.

It will be a hassle but better for your torque wrench if you use something else to break the nuts loose.

And I have another tool to break them loose. I'm telling you. I had to step on my lug bar to loosen one. Morons at the garage

Stock Toyota rims are hub centric not lug centeric. Leave it on the ground.

But even a lug centric aftermarket wheel you could leave on the ground if you do the lugs one by one.

You can probably exert more pressure lifting the lug wrench than standing on it, but nothing beats a cast iron pipe on the end of it. Glad you did this now and not on the side of the road during a February snowstormtornadolocusthatch?

Last edited:
U got that right! So. Should I just lessen all at Once? Or one at a time. I'll do the star pattern either way

Originally Posted By: JC1
Leave it on the ground and loosen the nuts, then retighten them. I use a torque setting of 75 ft lbs.

Regards, JC.

look up what is required for your car. Mine is 100. Ft lbs. I just use a beam type... seems to work for me. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
U got that right! So. Should I just lessen all at Once? Or one at a time. I'll do the star pattern either way

One at a time.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy

Ideally, back one lug nut off at a time then snug it just finger tight and move on to the next one in a star pattern. After all lugs are loosened and retighten just finger tight snug, torque in a star pattern half spec then full spec.

You don't normally have to loosen in a star pattern, just when tightening. But I figure every little bit will help since they've been overtightened with an impact.

Could they have used torque sticks?
to-410ext.jpg

Originally Posted By: JC1
Leave it on the ground and loosen the nuts, then retighten them. I use a torque setting of 75 ft lbs.

Regards, JC.

The number you list (75 lb/ft) is specific to application, not a blanket torque for wheels. In fact, I'd say 75 lb/ft is LOWER than most vehicles would spec. Mine range from 100-120. Although on the whole, just torquing them evenly probably offers benefits. I'd still rather have them too tight than too loose though.

I am surprised at the low torque of 75#.Just changed to aftermarket on my PT GT at the recomended 110#. Done at Discount Tire and they had me drive 50 miles and retorqued at the 110# spec.

I agree that the torque is specific to application. The M12-1.5 lug nuts on my RX300 are listed in the manual as 78 ft-lbs and my wife's Accord is 80 ft-lbs. I just leave my torque wrench set to 80...

I'd leave it on the ground. Otherwise, the tire will just spin when you try and tighten or loosen the lugs.

Just loosen each one and retorque it in sequence.

I didn't see a torque stick. Just saw him pick up the impact and went to town. And as he did each lug. He stayed on each for some time. Even though I heard it stop turning. And the way I had to jump on my lug wrench. I'd say way over tight

I googled Toyota corolla 09 torque spec. States 76 lbs. maybe I should just set it to 80 and be done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back