Lucas Oil

I personally like it. Never had bad luck with it. Everyone I know likes it as well. How is it a scam?
It's Group I bright stock with zero additives, red dye and some bar oil tackifier in it. The only thing it "works" at is increasing viscosity because it's >3x thicker than straight SAE 60.

It puts the snake in snake oil.

If you are now wondering how that combo could possibly "stabilize" anything you are headed in the right direction. That's why it is a scam.

It's Group I bright stock with zero additives, red dye and some bar oil tackifier in it. The only thing it "works" at is increasing viscosity because it's >3x thicker than straight SAE 60.

It puts the snake in snake oil.

If you are now wondering how that combo could possibly "stabilize" anything you are headed in the right direction. That's why it is a scam.
Interesting I knew it was pretty thick stuff

It ( The oil stabilizer) is an oil without any additives what so ever. Just think VI goop. It dilutes the ad-pack ( the anti-wear, the detergents and anti-foam etc) of your existing oil , making it a weaker yet thick blend. I will not let a lucas product within 20 feet of any of my engines.

It's not even oil. It's an olefin copolymer and a highly shear prone one at that.

Lucas products work excellent don’t think they make actual motor oil though.
You are always posting like a little old lady. Why don't you quickly google first. It's like you're posting just to post. That's why you have more than 1,250 posts in 3 months. Yes, Lucas does make engine oil and it's sold at plenty of retailers, Auto Mechanic ?

Half of Bitog is posting orange music therapy like a clockwork as if we had to arrive at just that outcome – people under the traditional having issues ever allowing the thought of Lucas making "actual motor oil though" for anyone.

Lucas Spray Wax is excellent but that goes on the outside.
Lucas has lots of great products; their interior detailer is one of my favorites, their spray wax is pretty good, their PS fluid is awesome, their marine and R&T greases are solid performers, and their gun metal polish is pretty darn good stuff. I see that they now also make hand sanitizer and I'm sure that performs well, too! On the other hand (pun intended), their fuel cleaners/additives are less than impressive, and their reputation hinges on their claims of miraculous results with the oil stabilizer. I can't say that the criticism is unfair, and they would do well to stop the over-the-top claims, produce some real evidence of effectiness, or discontinue this line.

You are always posting like a little old lady. Why don't you quickly google first. It's like you're posting just to post. That's why you have more than 1,250 posts in 3 months. Yes, Lucas does make engine oil and it's sold at plenty of retailers, Auto Mechanic ?
I’ve never seen it sold anywhere. I’ve only seen the stabilizer and the other products. Never seen the actual oil anywhere. And I don’t post just to post I post based on knowledge or if I have a question about something.

Lucas has lots of great products; their interior detailer is one of my favorites, their spray wax is pretty good, their PS fluid is awesome, their marine and R&T greases are solid performers, and their gun metal polish is pretty darn good stuff. I see that they now also make hand sanitizer and I'm sure that performs well, too! On the other hand (pun intended), their fuel cleaners/additives are less than impressive, and their reputation hinges on their claims of miraculous results with the oil stabilizer. I can't say that the criticism is unfair, and they would do well to stop the over-the-top claims, produce some real evidence of effectiness, or discontinue this line.

But, a lot of those products are likely not made by Lucas, just rebranded stuff from a major manufacturer. It would be interesting to find out who really makes it.

I’ve never seen it sold anywhere. I’ve only seen the stabilizer and the other products. Never seen the actual oil anywhere. And I don’t post just to post I post based on knowledge or if I have a question about something.
I just have to chime in here since this thread is going round and round.
If you and your Dad "feel" that the oil you are putting in your cars is too thin, and it need Lucas Oil Stabilizer to work, then you are running the wrong oil. I get it. I had the usual 5W30 yellow bottle turn to water when I pushed some little 4 banger engines on hot days.
Well American oils are for fuel economy and converter protection FIRST with engine protection SECOND. They are much better than a decade ago there there are even better options.
What you can do is buy and use a European car long-life oil. That good juice needs no stabilizer, its LOADED with additives and it will protect your engine better when stressed than American fuel economy oils.

So tell Dad that "experts" say Lucas stabilizer is garbage and a scam, and get him on board with a nice 5W40 ACEA A3 oil with Porsche A40 Approvals.
Your air -cooled bug should even like the stuff.
- Kenny " ... in the hills and forests of New Hampshire"

Last edited:
I just have to chime in here since this thread is going round and round.
If you and your Dad "feel" that the oil you are putting in your cars is too thin, and it need Lucas Oil Stabilizer to work, then you are running the wrong oil. I get it. I had the usual 5W30 yellow bottle turn to water when I pushed some little 4 banger engines on hot days.
Well American oils are for fuel ecomony and converter protection FIRST with engine protection SECOND. They are much better than aa decade ago there ther are even better options.
What you can do is buy and use a European car long-life oil. That good juice needs no stabilizer, its LOADED with additives and it will protect you engine better when stressed than American fuel economy oils.

So tell dad that "experts" say Lucas stabilizer is garbage and a scam, and get him on board with a nice 5W40 ACEA A3 oil with Porsche A40 Approvals.
Your air cooled bug should even like the stuff.
- Kenny " ... in the hills and forests of New Hampshire"
He uses it because he thinks it makes the oil cleaner and last longer and thinks you can store the engine longer with it in there. I tried to explain it to him but he laughed. The oil he puts in his big rig is 15W-40 so it’s pretty thick but yes I’m his car he usually forgets and drives it 5,000 past oil changes with conventional oil in it and it consumes oil about a 2 quarts a month. The air cooled bug uses 20W-50 racing oil from Valvoline which is also thick too I haven’t used the stabilizer in it as it hasn’t run since I got it last year but I don’t plan on using the stabilizer in it but it wouldn’t mind the Import oil I’m sure.

He uses it because he thinks it makes the oil cleaner and last longer and thinks you can store the engine longer with it in there. I tried to explain it to him but he laughed. The oil he puts in his big rig is 15W-40 so it’s pretty thick but yes I’m his car he usually forgets and drives it 5,000 past oil changes with conventional oil in it and it consumes oil about a 2 quarts a month. The air cooled bug uses 20W-50 racing oil from Valvoline which is also thick too I haven’t used the stabilizer in it as it hasn’t run since I got it last year but I don’t plan on using the stabilizer in it but it wouldn’t mind the Import oil I’m sure.
The Lucas isn't helping with that, only making it worse by diluting the formulated motor oil.

Food for thought: Why would the oil be staying "cleaner" if the additive package is weakened/diluted? Because it's less effective at doing its job of holding particulate and contaminants in suspension.

On the conventional angle, regardless of how cheap of a product he's using, it is not being made better by the constituents of LOS. Assuming he's using a basic DEXOS 5w-30, it's already at least Group II+ with an additive package that must pass GM's reasonably stringent testing regimen. Dumping Group I in there with no AW additives is making that product heavier and less effective.

Food for thought: Why would the oil be staying "cleaner" if the additive package is weakened/diluted? Because it's less effective at doing its job of holding particulate and contaminants in suspension.

On the conventional angle, regardless of how cheap of a product he's using, it is not being made better by the constituents of LOS. Assuming he's using a basic DEXOS 5w-30, it's already at least Group II+ with an additive package that must pass GM's reasonably stringent testing regimen. Dumping Group I in there with no AW additives is making that product heavier and less effective.
Yeah I tried to explain to him but it’s hard to change someone’s mind that’s been using the stuff for probably 48+ years that’s he has been driving. And been driving and using it in his trucks since the 80s. He uses Valvoline High Mileage MaxLife oil in the oil using Camry don’t know if it’s Dexos or not

Controlled Testing of Aftermarket Oil Additive Products for Friction and Wear Protection: Four Ball Wear Test
Date of paper: 2009

Tested:

• Greased Lightning
• Hy-per Lube
• Lucas Oil Stabilizer
• Marvel Mystery Oil
• MotorPurr Oil Stabilizer
• NAPA Oil Treatment
• Prolong Engine Treatment
• Rislone Oil Stabilizer
• Slick 50 Engine Treatment
• STP Oil Treatment
• Torco Oil
• Z-Max Friction Reducer

I agree to a large degree....

However... Lucas oil fuel system cleaner is actually a legitimate good product. Has a lot of PEA in it.

Lucas oil octane boost is a legitimate very good product... 3 whole numbers increase is 30 points. That is way way better than a number of others. Only Royal Purple and the VP madditive unleaded octane boost are as good.

Otherwise... I agree with you. I think your post was extremely well stated.

Lucas's strategy is mostly marketing with very little actual R&D. They rely on their massive marketing and sponsorship campaigns to push their products. Their Hot Rod oil is a big seller with classic car enthusiasts who don't know any better. The amount of ZDDP in that oil is well into corrosive territory, and I'm sure Lucas knows that. However, having more ZDDP than anybody else in that market is what sells so that's what they do.

Same deal with the "up to 70% PAO" in their synthetic oil. For a typical commuter vehicle existing anywhere outside of the arctic circle, you don't want >50% PAO due to PAO's poor additive response and solubility. Extreme cold starts is about it's only shining point. Everywhere else, a majority group III base oil will have better solubility, better additive response, and just as thermally stable and shear stable with normal use.

So would Amsoils premium line fit well for winter use as a backup since they use a Grp 4 then?? I think Redline has a fair amount of PAO too but has a good dosage of Ester to balance it out.

Back