Lucas Oil

Ive noticed in looking through this forum...no or very little mention of Lucas Oils. My view on boutique oils are they way to expensive....RP...Amsoil etc.
its seems to me ive read someplace it was founded by a truck driver? Who im sure is no Petro Eng or Chemical to come up with diff formulas. One guy at our Mustang club uses Lucas.....and others wont touch it. I was asked once why i always use Valvoline ....I told them dont know.....always used it my Motorcycles....racing 20w 50 in the 70's and cars 10w 30......its cheap and never had any problems that i would blame on the oil. Ive used Valvoline most of my life ....all 63 years. One thing I can say for Lucas now is they make everything from car wax to WD-40 type stuff ....

If you search Lucas here … there are several threads … one recent thread mentioned how much PAO was used in one formulation. I’m using Red N Tacky grease and had good luck with their power steering fluid.

I agree with 4wd, the power steering fluid has worked well for me in the past. I do think most Lucas products are over-hyped by marketing and under deliver in most cases. There are certainly better options at a lower price sitting on the shelf at every WM.

the biggest bash against Lucas is their engine oil additive/stabilizer.
Independent studies have shown it does nothing but dilute the actual engine oil additives and thicken up the oil.
Some of their other products are decent (I have used their gear oil in the past). Seems I recently saw some actual engine oil posted here recently, but no idea how good it really is or who actually makes it.

Lucas sells a hot rod engine oil with incredibly high levels of ZDDP. Maybe add some of their oil stabilizer to dilute it to just very high levels.

Lucas's strategy is mostly marketing with very little actual R&D. They rely on their massive marketing and sponsorship campaigns to push their products. Their Hot Rod oil is a big seller with classic car enthusiasts who don't know any better. The amount of ZDDP in that oil is well into corrosive territory, and I'm sure Lucas knows that. However, having more ZDDP than anybody else in that market is what sells so that's what they do.

Same deal with the "up to 70% PAO" in their synthetic oil. For a typical commuter vehicle existing anywhere outside of the arctic circle, you don't want >50% PAO due to PAO's poor additive response and solubility. Extreme cold starts is about it's only shining point. Everywhere else, a majority group III base oil will have better solubility, better additive response, and just as thermally stable and shear stable with normal use.

Lucas products work excellent don’t think they make actual motor oil though.

What?

Their oil stabilizer is a complete scam, it's basically the lowest possible garbage that can come out of the distillation tower and still be called oil with some red dye and bar oil tackifier. Probably the most expensive part is the bottle. It's pure profit hocked as miracle which is why I'll never buy anything with their name on it.

Last edited:
What?

Their oil stabilizer is a complete scam, it's basically the lowest possible garbage that can come out of the distillation tower and still be called oil with some red dye and bar oil tackifier. Probably the most expensive part is the bottle. It's pure profit hocked as miracle which is why I'll never buy anything with their name on it.
I personally like it. Never had bad luck with it. Everyone I know likes it as well. How is it a scam?

Well... Never mind... :LOL:

I was thinking maybe automechanic was talking about other products Lucas has out there. But then I saw his post.

Ahh Overkill... Just saying...

He could be talking about Lucas oils power steering fluid or say the octane boost or maybe some other Lucas oil products.

And the octane boost is actually a legit product... Increases octane 3 whole numbers. Or 30 points.

Well... Never mind... :LOL:

I was thinking maybe automechanic was talking about other products Lucas has out there. But then I saw his post.

Ahh Overkill... Just saying...

He could be talking about Lucas oils power steering fluid or say the octane boost or maybe some other Lucas oil products.

And the octane boost is actually a legit product... Increases octane 3 whole numbers. Or 30 points.
Oh you don’t like the oil additives or stabilizer either?

I haven't used them man... No need to in my car's.

But the octane boost I have used. Interestingly I have used a third of a container which would be a one number increase in octane... And when I scan my car for misfires... All zeros in all 6 cylinders. When I don't use it... I had 1-2 misfires typically in cylinders 1,2,3 and sometimes in 4,5.

People don't realize but the octane can be one to two whole numbers low out of what the sign says... So it could be low like 92 or 91 even if the pump says it's 93...

I personally like it. Never had bad luck with it. Everyone I know likes it as well. How is it a scam?

It ( The oil stabilizer) is an oil without any additives what so ever. Just think VI goop. It dilutes the ad-pack ( the anti-wear, the detergents and anti-foam etc) of your existing oil , making it a weaker yet thick blend. I will not let a lucas product within 20 feet of any of my engines.

I haven't used them man... No need to in my car's.

But the octane boost I have used. Interestingly I have used a third of a container which would be a one number increase in octane... And when I scan my car for misfires... All zeros in all 6 cylinders. When I don't use it... I had 1-2 misfires typically in cylinders 1,2,3 and sometimes in 4,5.

People don't realize but the octane can be one to two whole numbers low out of what the sign says... So it could be low like 92 or 91 even if the pump says it's 93...
That’s cool. And yeah a tanker driver told me that about the gas once. That’s probably good your cars don’t need the stabilizer stuff. My dad uses it in his truck and swears by it and he puts it in my truck and his car as well.

It is a oil without any additives what so ever. Just think VI goop. It dilutes the ad-pack of your existing oil , making it a weaker yet thick blend. I will not let a lucas product within 20 feet of any of my engines.
Interesting I read online and heard from many it was great stuff. I’ve used it for awhile and so has my dad.

There are voa analysis results on this site, that show it has nothing in it but thick oil with no ad- pack.
Oh interesting I had read some of them but my dad won’t stop buying it or pouring it in my truck. I don’t mind thick oil but if it has no additives that’s not a good thing.

There are voa analysis results on this site, that show it has nothing in it but thick oil with no ad- pack.

Don't fall for the " Keep that engine alive" marketing. I've never used it, with great results.

IF... That oil stabilizer had 1400 ppm of calcium, 500 ppm of magnesium, 240 ppm of boron, and 100 ppm of molybdenum and had 800 ppm of zinc and 600 ppm of phos... It would be a far better product..

Back