Lucas Oil Stabilizer...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Originally Posted By: dennisny
Additives, are junk!!!, why add uneccesary minerals to your oil.

1)When advertised as a performance additive-it makes your oil thicker to boost oil-presure. But can be harmful on new engines that are tighter tolerance and require a thinner weight oil.

2)For older engines that leak. If your engine is leaking that bad-the engine is shot.

So I guess my car's new performance is all just in my head?

Pretty much.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Run some strait Lucas and get back to us. All that magical stuff, how can you go wrong?

Only if you run "strait" ARX.

The thicker oil could theoretically increase compression on a slightly worn engine. But, you'd be much better off using a nice, balanced high mileage oil over any additive if this is the case...

And if one wants thicker oil, use thicker oils such as HDEO, HM, or a synthetic 5W-40 -for the best of both worlds...

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
You are feeling a faster, more powerful car because you wanted to feel a faster, more powerful car.

Absolutely absurd.

I guess a friend of mine that's driven my car before and after the changes I've made is also deluded in thinking that the car is running great.

I really don't know why I bother spending my time on this site with ridiculous people like you.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
The thicker oil could theoretically increase compression on a slightly worn engine. But, you'd be much better off using a nice, balanced high mileage oil over any additive if this is the case...

And if one wants thicker oil, use thicker oils such as HDEO, HM, or a synthetic 5W-40 -for the best of both worlds...

I agree with this thinking, and have decided to try out a heavy synthetic next time.

Let's hear some theory, not anecdotes. Like "Lucas ~might~ make my engine run better because it has no additives and no lubricative qualities beyond that of peanut oil".

Unless listed all are 'Zero'

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

I don't know but you could go and blog about our collective negativity to additives and ineptness related to additives put into use in otherwise fully optimized mixtures on the Noria forums if you like.

Originally Posted By: pickled
I don't know but you could go and blog about our collective negativity to additives and ineptness related to additives put into use in otherwise fully optimized mixtures on the Noria forums if you like.

Are you asking me to leave?

Nope...just catching up on current events at both forums and saw a lot of similarities in a few threads. I appreciate all discussion that is constructive, but if I suspect that this community is getting bashed for offering sensible advice I (as well as other professionals that contribute) tend to take offense. Please forgive me if I made a mistake about the similarities in postings because I mean no offense to you if you are not the same individual over on the aforementioned site.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Nope...just catching up on current events at both forums and saw a lot of similarities in a few threads. I appreciate all discussion that is constructive, but if I suspect that this community is getting bashed for offering sensible advice I (as well as other professionals that contribute) tend to take offense. Please forgive me if I made a mistake about the similarities in postings because I mean no offense to you if you are not the same individual over on the aforementioned site.

Is there another BITOG site somewhere?

ok as for a theory....here's the only one I have about this product: It MIGHT be useful in an older engine or one that has barely-within-spec bearing tolerances because the thickness of it makes up for looseness. The thickness MIGHT mask viscosity breakdown thus the "stabilizer" name.

It seems like it's just a superthick base oil with no additives. As I said before I do not think this stuff has a purpose if you use good oil and change it regularly. If you race and need a superthick oil it MIGHT be good. If your engine is loose it MIGHT keep you from noticing knocks longer. It is in no way preventative maintenance, though.

NORIA has an active discussion forum at the moment on this same topic (engine oil additives). That's what I was referring to. As for me and Lucas- I wish that I had the little gear box in my office so I could turn the wheels and watch the climbing lube when I'm zoning out worrying about life's general events. I used it once back in the day, and swear that I could hear my crankshaft scream NO as the engine started to warm up. To each their own, but I personally wouldn't touch the stuff. Straight 50 and 60 grade group II+ base oils are much cheaper if you feel that you need the viscosity bump.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
You are feeling a faster, more powerful car because you wanted to feel a faster, more powerful car.

Absolutely absurd.

I guess a friend of mine that's driven my car before and after the changes I've made is also deluded in thinking that the car is running great.

I really don't know why I bother spending my time on this site with ridiculous people like you.

Mind > Matter. It is all in your head. All lucas does is raise the viscosity, make it thicker. That is all it does. As someone else stated. Unless you have a Real old engine the lucas won't do much and may actually harm your engine, if it is new. Putting too thick an oil in a new engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back