Lubro Moly motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody in a post here at this web site mentioned using something like Lubro Moly. So I wondered what it was an did a search on the internet. Well, Lubro Moly is a European developed motor oil that has Molybdenum disulfide in it. Apparently this oil is sometimes used in Mercedes Benz cars.

This is kind of surprising to me. Now, maybe Lubro Moly is a great motor oil. But many American motor oils that use Moly have the Moly in a molecular form. Seems to me that Americans are ahead in this technology

Doesn't Molybdenum disulide settle out of oil? How does this Lubro Moly compare with Schaeffer's, Redline, and other American motor oils that use Moly?

Lubro Moly is just a name. They don't use Moly in their oils anymore. The Lubro Moly that still has Moly in is is the old, cheap non-synthetic that almost no one in Europe buys.

liqui-moly. is the company. they claim they use moly in their oils in a molecular form that won't precipitate. they even sell MoS2 suspensions .Their oil additive uses "stabilized " MoS2 .their products seem to be widely accepted in Europe and some are OEM with car manufacturers. They only list one oil containing MoS2, under their part synthetic oils section, it's a 10W-40 grade. at least, they differentiate between full synthetics, part-synth and hydrocracked oils.

[ June 20, 2003, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

If i'm not mistaken there is a UOA on this very web site of their 5W-40 and it didn't have any moly in it at all.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
If i'm not mistaken there is a UOA on this very web site of their 5W-40 and it didn't have any moly in it at all.

In point of fact, there is more than one. And they are all excellent. And no moly.

Okay, Lubro Moly does not have any Moly in it. Somebody needs to inform the sites on the internet that are advertising this brand of motor oil and stating that the oil does contain Moly. Type in Lubro Moly and you will be able to find at least two or three such sites.

Lubro moly is the NA division of Liqui Moly.
It only sells select products thru tuners. Their additives seem to work well, I tried both the valve cleaner and diesel improver. Don't worry about the slight misinformation, the net is full of it.

I've done two UOA's and had a VOA done as well with the 5W-40. I was initially surprised to see no moly, but if you read the description of the 5W-40 it does not state anything about containing moly. However, the 10W-40 clearly states moly being utilized. I'm happy with the wear numbers in my 1.8T after a hot summer/cold winter UOA.

dispite the low viscosity index and the low flash point the oil performed extremely well in the 2?UOA we host in this site.

It seems that they use a very strong base stock without any viscosity improvers-modifiers

Here is a Word Document I got from Lubro-Moly:

Synthoil High Tech SAE 5-40

DESCRIPTION Synthoil High Tech SAE 5W-40 is a fully synthetic, high-performance, low-friction engine oil designed for year-round use in passenger motor vehicle engines. Optimum high-performance for multi-valve and turbocharged engines. The synthetic base oils and high-quality additive components satisfy and greatly exceed the requirements of the most state-of-the-art engine designs.

PROPERTIES - long service life for the engine due to very high level of protection against wear
- miscible and compatible with commercially-available engine oils.
- rapid oil delivery at low temperatures
- very high lubrication reliability at high and low temperatures
- very high shear and ageing stability
- outstanding engine cleanliness
- smooth engine running
- saves petrol and reduces pollutant emission
- optimum oil pressure at all engine speeds
- tested with catalytic converters and proven performance with turbochargers
- extremely low evaporation losses

Corresponds to and fulfils the following classifications and specifications:
API SJ/CF
SH/CF/EC
ACEA A3-98/B3-98
VW 502 00 and 505 00 (1/97)
Mercedes Benz 229.1
Porsche all models
BMW Longlife

TECHNICAL
DATA Viscosity class : 5W-40
ASTM colour : 3
Density at 15 °C : 0.85 g/cm³
Viscosity at 40 °C : 87.3 mm²/s
Viscosity at 100 °C : 14.1 mm²/s
Viscosity index : 138
Flash point : 193 °C
Pour point : -42 °C

.../2

APPLICATION Optimum for modern petrol engines with multi-valve technology and turbocharging. Especially suitable where there are long intervals between oil changes and heavy duty engine requirements.

INSTRUCTIONS The operating instructions of the vehicle and engine manufacturers must be followed.

AVAILABLE
PACK SIZE Synthoil High Tech SAE 5W-40 1 l Part no. 1306
5 l Part no. 1307
20 l Part no. 1308
60 l Part no. 1309
205 l Part no. 1311
60 l container Part no. 1320
120 l container Part no. 1321
205 l container Part no. 1322
bulk oil Part no. 1319

The top-of the line Lubro Moly Vollsynthese 5W-40 is reportedly an excellent fullsynthetic oil that's extensively used at race tracks. Liqui Moli makes various 5W-40 oils (and others), some of which are clarky marked as being based on hydrochracked stock. For more information you can check the German Liqui Moli (Liqui Moli is the company name, Lubro Moly is the product name) website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back