lubro moly moS2 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tj90

I must have spoke too soon. My 911 smoked at start-up today. MOS2 didnt make a difference. Funny. Mower is still not smoking however.

If your 911 doesn't smoke at start-up, there isn't any oil in the engine.

No, I didn't use Lubro Moly Engine Flush but I used Lubegard Engine Flush in '00 E430. I used only 2-3oz and drove for about 40-45 miles before drain it out, the oil was medium to dark amber before and black after the engine flush.

In general, Lubro Moly and Lubegard don't have bad products, you can use either without problems.

Okay, I'm interested in the LubroMoly mos2 and the Lubegard Engine Protectant with BioTech.

Here are my two applications:

'99 2.4L Dodge Stratus, Amsoil SSO 0w-30...driven less than 2,500 last year, won't go over 4-5k at most in a given year.

I suppose not adding LubroMoly but perhaps Lubegard for it's 'anti-oxidation' help would be alright, but is it overkill for use with Amsoil SSO? My only reason for considering is that this car will go a week or two without being driven at times. I just switched to Amsoil SSO and it has 125k miles.

2nd application:

My Civic VX at 245k miles using Amsoil SSO 0w-30. It's driven 12k-15k per year. I am interested in adding one or both of these additives. My reasoning, the LubeGard can get me to 10k per OCI without problem in theory on top of Amsoil and the LubroMoly would be a nice bonus to 'anti-wear'.

My question is, do either products seem logical for use in my 2 applications? If so, one or the other, both?

Well, I'm not going to use this in my Civic since it wants to see long OCIs and I don't know what this product would do to Amsoil's SSO formulation over an extended OCI, so...

I added it to the Stratus instead!
grin2.gif
13.gif
27.gif

Looks like the price at Napa for part number AIC LM2009 is now $4.63 for a 10 oz can. Must be all the Bitog guys running in and buying it causing the price to rise! lol This is for the Burlingame, CA store.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
Looks like the price at Napa for part number AIC LM2009 is now $4.63 for a 10 oz can. Must be all the Bitog guys running in and buying it causing the price to rise! lol This is for the Burlingame, CA store.

Or the Germans want more worthless American toilet paper money for their products.

Just added this to my car. Just gotta wait and see. One thing is for sure tho...becareful opening the cans! I splattered the black liquid all over my North Face polo and destroyed it! It is not coming out. Tried rinsing with water and spray and wash...no go! It has one of those pop open plastic tops once you get the cap off.

It definitely works. Lower operating temps. In my 99 chev 5.3 I went from 450kms per tank to 550-580 consistently. This is gonna be my 6th fill up since adding the moly and it has more than paid for itself in fuel savings alone

Originally Posted By: Clevy
It definitely works. Lower operating temps. In my 99 chev 5.3 I went from 450kms per tank to 550-580 consistently. This is gonna be my 6th fill up since adding the moly and it has more than paid for itself in fuel savings alone

Please tell us more about lowering operating temperatures. I thought a thermostat would keep operatiing temperatures at the proper level.

Most of the oils already have Moly in it and it really depends on how much. So far Red Line Oils have a boat load of Moly and ZDDP anti wear additives mixed in their oils. Adding to Mobil 1 oils will not hurt it.

I just added half a can of MOS2 to my Mobil 1 15W50 oil. Moly actually gets used up so it will not hurt your oil if you add more. Some of the newer oils had this additive taken out to meet energy conservation standards. It all depends what oil you use. It definitely would not hurt M1 EP.

MoS2 and soluble forms of Moly are not the same thing. MoS2 was not removed from "newer oils" to meet energy conservation standards. There are multiple posts, pages, and links on this site to elaborate.

Most of the oils already have Moly in it and it really depends on how much. So far Red Line Oils have a boat load of Moly and ZDDP anti wear additives mixed in their oils. Adding to Mobil 1 oils will not hurt it.

I just added half a can of MOS2 to my Mobil 1 15W50 oil. Moly actually gets used up so it will not hurt your oil if you add more. Some of the newer oils had this additive taken out to meet energy conservation standards. It all depends what oil you use. It definitely would not hurt M1 EP.

I did not think moly gets used up... From what I have read, it attaches to metal parts and does not dissolve. Much of it stays suspended in the oil and either attaches to worn metal parts or gets drained out at the next OCI...

Mobil 1 15W50 is a great oil and I am not sure you really need to add anything to it. BUT men will be men and try and make things better... LOL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

I did not think moly gets used up... From what I have read, it attaches to metal parts and does not dissolve. Much of it stays suspended in the oil and either attaches to worn metal parts or gets drained out at the next OCI...

Mobil 1 15W50 is a great oil and I am not sure you really need to add anything to it. BUT men will be men and try and make things better... LOL.

So true Boss so true. We as dudes all want an edge.lol

That is not expensive - the $13 I paid (with our 13% harmonized sales tax) for it the last time I bought it in this corner of Canada is expensive.
smile.gif
It was added to the Syntec in my sig for a 5k (or more precisely, 7.5k km) OCI, which is the manual spec for this particular car. Its the longest OCI this engine has seen since I bought it last May and later found signs of some sludge along with heavy varnish build up. Prior short cleaning OCIs (I prefer not to use flushes or products like ARX or Seafoam) were done and this is the first time I've extended beyond 3k (or 5k km).

Even at that price, I consider it worthwhile and plan to add a bottle each OCI to my 4 quart sump.

-Spyder

Last edited:
APPLICATION Add 5 % (50 ml per liter of oil) of Oil Additive to motor oil; in motorcycles with wet
clutch, add 2 % (20 ml per liter of oil). Can be added to motor oil at any time. The
maximum dosage for motorcycles with a wet clutch is 2 %!

.liqui-moly.de

I just added a can of this to a fresh oil change on an 02 Bravada with the 4.2L engine (7 quart oil capacity) and 2010 Dodge Nitro (3.7L engine-5 quart capacity). Both engines can be a bit noisy, especially the 4.2 on startup. I immediately found both engines to be quieter. I will monitor mpg to see if I notice any difference. Next up is a '99 Jeep Cherokee Classic with 180k on the engine. That's a chatty engine too, especially on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back