lubro moly moS2 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tj90

However I have noticed 2 improvements. I added it to my B&S 4 stroke push mower and all smoking at start-up has stopped. Also, my porsche 911 used to occasionally smoke at start-up too and come to think of it, I have not seen that this past year either.

I must have spoke too soon. My 911 smoked at start-up today. MOS2 didnt make a difference. Funny. Mower is still not smoking however.

tj90

I also added LM mos2 to my 1984 911 3.2 and it has significantly reduced the typical clatter, lowered temps and increased low end torque from the reduction in friction - it does occasionally puff smoke on start up but less often

That could be, and usually is, just condensation being blow out the pipe following a cold start and is normal.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: jk101563
tj90

I also added LM mos2 to my 1984 911 3.2 and it has significantly reduced the typical clatter, lowered temps and increased low end torque from the reduction in friction - it does occasionally puff smoke on start up but less often

The "Puff at start-up." Does it last for about a minute, or under? And doesnt smoke any else? Just some thin, wispy smoke from the pipe for a short under one minute time and then purrs like a kitten withthe Mos2? Ive seen cars do that, here in FL. Little trails as they pull away, likely are fine, though. Condensation? Is Condensation white, then disappears?

I wonder if Moly "plating" would help get rid of leaks. Help with Old Gaskets, maybe ?

A white puff is condensation. Blue is telltale that there is major oil consumption going on and possibly something seriously wrong with the engine.

Some burners never blow blue smoke. Mine doesn't, never has. But when my previous car died on the highway after throwing a rod (faulty oil pan replacement that caused an undetected leak), and I put enough oil in the empty crankcase to start it and crawl to the nearest service station, it through up huge billows of blue smoke the whole way. Though there were obviously other symptoms that the engine was toasted too, even without the trail of blue haze.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
A white puff is condensation. Blue is telltale that there is major oil consumption going on and possibly something seriously wrong with the engine.

Some burners never blow blue smoke. Mine doesn't, never has. But when my previous car died on the highway after throwing a rod (faulty oil pan replacement that caused an undetected leak), and I put enough oil in the empty crankcase to start it and crawl to the nearest service station, it through up huge billows of blue smoke the whole way. Though there were obviously other symptoms that the engine was toasted too, even without the trail of blue haze.

-Spyder

Hey, cool. My car has ALWAYS had a puff of WHITE smoke, never was a diff color. It always went away, too. And hear i am thinking my Head Gasket is toast, or starting to go.

I used to sniff my exhaust to, to smell anything sweet. If it is condensation, it should just smell like normal, stinky exhaust, right? My car has ALWAYS had strong exhaust, and i hope that is good! Has a miss too... ? (I can feel about "3" "Puffs" of air if i hold my hand flat a few inches away from the pipe. What does that mean? I DONT think its backfiring, its a muted miss..)

I put 2/3 of a can in my Protege with a 3.6qt sump about 25-30 miles ago and I haven't noticed any changes at all. I'll reserve judgment until I give it more of a chance of course, but I didn't have this magical instant change that some others reported.

I also got a can of Motor Oil Saver which I plan to use in my father's 2003 Camry 2.4 that burns a bit of oil and puffs blue on startup. That'll happen when the oils changed relatively soon.

I ended up on this thread after seeing an absolutely amazing UOA on Lubro Moly 5w40 in a very very tough on oil turbo engine. Noticed that they didn't have really any moly in the oil, which kind of surprised me with the irony.

Legit question here, not meant in a snarky way so please don't hurt me. But if Moly is so awesome and this company sells it, why isn't it in their own oil they sell under the brand name with moly in it? Is this just so they don't undercut their own sales on the additive product? And does anyone know if Lubro Moly actually advises to add their additive to their own oil?

Also, a long time ago here I read a few posts talking about too much moly causing more problems than it solves... if I'm remembering right, these posters were saying around 250ppm being optimal and over 300 the curve started back down. Anyone remember these? and if so, comments?

To Spyder's point about Pennzoil SN, it seems thats right around the amount they were adding, 200 to 250. Is that right? I haven't seen one in awhile so forgive me if this is incorrect. But so my question is, with this additive and the amount you guys are adding, about how much ppm are you achieving, and what is the goal amount?

p.s. that awesome Lubro Moly 5w40 UOA was impressive! It got me to find some online and order it. Hard to believe it could be improved upon. :)

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Lubro-Moly has different formulations to meet a wide range of manufacturer standards. They have a specific high-moly formulation as well. It is a semi-synthetic product, known as MoS2 Anti-friction Motor Oil 10W-40.

I use the Lubro-moly 10w40 in my BMW. I added the Mos2 additive as well. No known issues.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Lubro-Moly has different formulations to meet a wide range of manufacturer standards. They have a specific high-moly formulation as well. It is a semi-synthetic product, known as MoS2 Anti-friction Motor Oil 10W-40.
I use the Lubro-moly 10w40 in my BMW. I added the Mos2 additive as well. No known issues.

I use the MoS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment in every four-stroke engine I've got. Well, everything but the stuff with wet clutches and a shared sump, that is.

That BMW must be "slicker'n owl poo".
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Russell

I use the MoS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment in every four-stroke engine I've got. Well, everything but the stuff with wet clutches and a shared sump, that is.

That BMW must be "slicker'n owl poo".
lol.gif

You might be correct!

Originally Posted By: shpankey

Also, a long time ago here I read a few posts talking about too much moly causing more problems than it solves... if I'm remembering right, these posters were saying around 250ppm being optimal and over 300 the curve started back down. Anyone remember these? and if so, comments?

To Spyder's point about Pennzoil SN, it seems thats right around the amount they were adding, 200 to 250. Is that right? I haven't seen one in awhile so forgive me if this is incorrect. But so my question is, with this additive and the amount you guys are adding, about how much ppm are you achieving, and what is the goal amount?

I haven't seen the post suggesting 300 ppm was optimal, so I can't comment on that directly, but other posts in other threads suggested higher amounts would be desirable. A relevant point to keep in mind, too, is that the molybdenum in LM mos2 is of a somewhat different chemical composition (disulfide) than the moly added to motor oils like Pennzoil, etc.

This OCI I'm using half a can added to Syntec 5W30, which if my memory is right from reading VOAs on it, contains about 200 ppm (+/- 50 ppm). A different poster in a thread somewhere posted some nice formulas to quickly calculate how much molybdenum disulfide a can of mos2 (300 ml?) adds to a given sump size - which is here somewhere in one these threads. I added my left over half can to the Syntec when I did the OC and decided that was sufficient. This OCI is 5k and I burn some oil, so the moly portion of the add pack in the oil is regularly replenished, along with TBN and other adds, whenever I top up.

My OCI now, even with the synthetic, is only 5k due to severe service (lots of short trips and/or stop and go in cold weather) and that I'm still doing the tail end of a short(ened) OCI clean up after discovering the PCV valve plugged last July and the engine suggesting varnish and likely some sludge as well (MMO was used the first cleaning OCI, with PP for an initial 3k cleaning OCI at that point, and that was when I first added LM mos2 as well). Car was bought used last May from the original owner, and I got its full service history
from the seller as well.
-Spyder

Last edited:
Cool thanks Spyder. I'm definitely in now for getting this. Once this snow lets up and I can make it out of my driveway I mean. lol

I think I'll pick up about 3 or 4 cans for a trial basis. Pretty cheap so it's no big deal. I was also extremely impressed on their 5w40 oil. I found it online for 5 liters at only $35. The UOA I seen was on a turbocharged engine that beats up oil and was very impressive. Seems to be a really high quality company with some great products and I love trying new oils for my baby.

Thanks for the info Spyder.

Have you tried your local NAPA stores there in OK? NAPA store here carries three of their oils and the 5W-40 is one of them. I believe it was selling for $35 for a 5-quart/liter container. They also had the 10W-40 with the moly in it and a 5W-30. Plus they carry the MoS2 additive for $4.29 per can, plus two of their fuel additives.

Check it out if you have not already.

Will do Johnny. There's a NAPA in Sapulpa which isn't too far from here so I'll swing over there hopefully this weekend if the roads get a bit better. Apparently next week a possibly even bigger snow storm is rolling in so I'll need to use that small window.

Oh and I was just laughing at your sig. But if you're born in Oklahoma, you can run to all the states you want for the rest of your life but you'll still be an Okie! We don't let go of ours! :p lol

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Oh and I was just laughing at your sig. But if you're born in Oklahoma, you can run to all the states you want for the rest of your life but you'll still be an Okie! We don't let go of ours! :p lol

Oh, trust me, I'm an Okie through and through. I would move back there tomorrow if the wife would come with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back