Lubro-Moly Anti-friction additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
If you are using a name brand oil...like Mobil 1 or others... why do you need to put in a additive?????

I would only do this near the end of an OCI.

Afterall, even the best add packs, in the best oils deplete over time, no?? (especially moly on a 8K-10K mile/1 year OCI!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
If you are using a name brand oil...like Mobil 1 or others... why do you need to put in a additive?????

Some Mobil 1 oils already have moly in them, others do not. I like the 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck, which has no moly, better than the 0w40 which does not.

Before I knew Redline had so much moly in it already, I added a can of this stuff to it in my Tacoma......the engine survived of course but I wonder what the moly numbers looked like.

80ppm is nothing when you look at some of these other high end oil's,, adding a can will hurt nothing,i plan on doing just that. then just a main does there after..

Originally Posted By: daman
80ppm is nothing when you look at some of these other high end oil's,, adding a can will hurt nothing,i plan on doing just that. then just a main does there after..

Sounds like a plan to me. I've seen VOA's with 50ppm moly, why bother? Unless they can claim the oil has moly? Or even in such a small amount it helps? I said it before, they blend oil to meet certain price points, moly most be one of the more expensive additives.

Let me know if you notice an changes in how your engine runs with the moly. I'm still about a 1000 miles away from my next OCI.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Sounds like a plan to me. I've seen VOA's with 50ppm moly, why bother? Unless they can claim the oil has moly? Or even in such a small amount it helps? I said it before, they blend oil to meet certain price points, moly most be one of the more expensive additives.

Let me know if you notice an changes in how your engine runs with the moly. I'm still about a 1000 miles away from my next OCI.

Will do but im like you i have probably most the winter to go before i need to service somehting(darn it),i guess i could do my kids car dump the M1 10w30HM(5,300 miles only) and pour in some 5w30HM with moly.

why bother is right, i guess it would help yea but......wouldnt 200 or more ppm help more??
grin2.gif

why bother is right, i guess it would help yea but......wouldnt 200 or more ppm help more??
grin2.gif

I'd think so.

I stopped at NAPA and bought 3 cans of the stuff since it was only $4.29 each. When I got home, I popped the oil cap off and poured a full can of it into the sump of my car (while running), and I was extremely surprised that my engine immediately seemed quieter, even before the entire can was poured in
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I stopped at NAPA and bought 3 cans of the stuff since it was only $4.29 each. When I got home, I popped the oil cap off and poured a full can of it into the sump of my car (while running), and I was extremely surprised that my engine immediately seemed quieter, even before the entire can was poured in
crazy2.gif

it's good stuff huh?? lol, i havent tryed mine yet but thinking of ordering a case.

Speaking of this stuff tinting oil.... I couldn't quite get the last few drops out of the can due to the angle of my oil filler neck, so I poured it into a quart of oil I had sitting on my shelf (Quaker State Torque Power clear bottle with Valvoline Maxlife in it) and only about a teaspoon of the stuff made the oil OD green, and completely opaque
crazy2.gif

Maxlife%20with%20LM%20MOS2.jpg

Wow!! lol

+1 My exact thoughts. The good news is it will be very easy to check the oil. Sometimes fresh clean oil is a little tough to check, it will won't be now. LOL

thats stuff has to be pretty potent to stain oil like that,cant wait to try it.
20.gif

need to keep track of fuel mileage see if it improves any??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back