Lubro-moly 5W40 full synthetic??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I would like to know if it's a good oil for my car. I have a 95 Jetta with a 2.0L 8v.

My mechanic sold this product ( I think it is Lubro-moly Vollsynthese 5W40) and he told me it's the best??

What to you think?? I need some info?

Thank you

This is one of those "Euro" synthetics that meets the VW 502/505 specifications for gas/diesel engines. It should work at least as well as Mobil 1, 0w-40. Most of these European formulations use a very robust additive package and have a TBN in the 10.5-12 range.

If you are getting it for less than $8.00 CAN/Liter, I'd say it's a good deal.

Thanks

I will check how much my mechanic ask for a 5L jug. It's good that the Lubro-Moly is as good as the Mobil 1 0W-40 because I can't find this grade of Mobil 1 in my area. I can buy Delvac 1 but they only have 4L jug and I need 4.5L, so I have to buy 2 jug at 35 $can each.

I will try to have info about Lubro-Moly.

quote:

Originally posted by Turbo-Mazout:
Thanks

I will check how much my mechanic ask for a 5L jug. It's good that the Lubro-Moly is as good as the Mobil 1 0W-40 because I can't find this grade of Mobil 1 in my area. I can buy Delvac 1 but they only have 4L jug and I need 4.5L, so I have to buy 2 jug at 35 $can each.

You can get Mobil 1 0w-40 at Autozone.

We don't have Autozone stores up here in Canada unfortunately.
frown.gif

I was inquiring re: this oil several months ago and nobody seemed to have any experience with it. I've email Lubro-Moly on many occasions and have gotten immediate responses. Here are the stats for the 5-40 Synthetic...

TECHNICAL
DATA Viscosity class : 5W-40
ASTM colour : 3
Density at 15 °C : 0.85 g/cm³
Viscosity at 40 °C : 87.3 mm²/s
Viscosity at 100 °C : 14.1 mm²/s
Viscosity index : 138
Flash point : 193 °C
Pour point : -42 °C

I'm in Toronto, but have found NAPA as a readily available source (they'd have to order it though). After looking at the stats (and they never tell the whole story), I never followed through due to cost effectiveness. The stats (to me) don't paint a picture too different and don't seem better than either Havoline Synthetic 5-40 or Delvac 5-40 to justify the price. In either case, my owner's manual recommends 15-50 for temps. from -20C to 30+ C, so I'll be using M-1 15-50....and will report this winter's pumping adventures....

Here is what I know about this oil. My wife's 2000 VW Eurovan came from the factory filled with this product. I was told this by Hans at Liqui-Moly in Germany, and it was confirmed by Fredrick at VW in Germany.

I used this product for the first 15,000 miles, doing 5,000 mile oil changes. It seemed to work just fine, although I never had an analysis done on it. It did take a while to get as I had to either order it from the East or West coast.

When we came out with our European Formula 5W40 I switched.

I have several friends that have used this product for years in their BMW'S and have had good success with it.

Is it any better than Mobil 1 0W40 or Delvac 1 5W40, probably not.

Thank you,

So if I find Mobil 1 0W-40 in my area, I will make a better choice than the Lubro-Moly. Hmmm, maybe Delvac 1 is even better.

Anyway, thanks to everyone!

quote:

Originally posted by Turbo-Mazout:
Thanks

I will check how much my mechanic ask for a 5L jug.

Just curious how much your mechanic charges you...

My friend told me that the "purple" 5L jug costed him CAN$75.

I'm currently running the 5W-40 in my 2002 VW (1.8T) and I will post the result of the analysis analysis after it's complete. It looks like this will be the first analysis on this oil on the board.

I'm looking forward to seeing a Mobil1 0W-40 analysis as well, or any other 5W-40 analysis for that matter. The nice thing about the 0W-40 is that it's readily available now.

OK...so what are the correct Viscosity Index and flash point numbers then? Enlighten us. Why do you state they are incorrect?

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
OK...so what are the correct Viscosity Index and flash point numbers then? Enlighten us. Why do you state they are incorrect?

It is not logical for a 5W40 to have such low numbers. How many synthetics do you know with a flash point of 379.4 F ?? and this viscosity index i am sure it belongs to a mineral oil..
well....to a very bad mineral oil..
Actually the Aral's 5W40 that i am not sure whether is a PAO based or not has a viscosity
index of 190...
smile.gif

i have already e-mailed to liqui moly and i am waiting for their replay.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

i just got their e-mail(liqui moly), i believe i owe you an apology Dr. T ,you were right . It was a shock for me. Anyway here are the Aral's specifications:

Applications:
High-end high-performance motor oil with Aral Synthesis Technology with potential for extended oil-drain intervals. Helps to save fuel and to protect the environment. Large performance reserves even with maximum permissible oil-drain intervals and in engines with low oil consumption. Suitable for all four-stroke gasoline and Diesel (incl. direct injection and turbocharged) car engines. Required for Saab 9-3 Sport-Sedan diesel motor.

Specification:
ACEA A3 , B3 , B4
API SJ/CF

Approval:
Mercedes-Benz specification for service product sheet 229.3
BMW Approval Longlife-98
Porsche Approval
VW-Norm 502 00 and 505 00 Issue 1/97
Opel GM-LL-B-025

Technical Data

SAE-grade DIN 51511 5W-40
ASTM-Color DIN ISO 2049 2,5