Lubrication Interval for Universal Joints

I have Spicer u-joints on my Colorado. I've greased them around 5-6 thousand miles so far. What is the normal interval for doing this?

I do mine whenever the oil is changed in the light trucks. In my dump truck it is done every 50 hours with everything else and on my road tractor it is done once every couple weeks when I am running it a lot. I am more concerned about pushing any moisture out rather than lubrication as I'm sure the grease I use would be good for a long time.

I do the steering stabilizer and front u-joint on my 2012 Ram at every oil change. This is anywhere from 4,500 to 7,500 miles. Fresh grease is good, lack of moisture is better.

Just my $0.02

Pick whatever interval that suits you and that's what will define normal for you.

In truth its an undefinable question for any joint that never makes a complete revolution ( relative to its center axis) in its service life but is subject to centrifuging forces and water ingress.

I ended up with every spring and fall on my u joints. Works out to 10 or 15,000km. I was a once a year guy and noted black grease being exiting the seals. I moved up to twice yearly and still noted black grease exiting. But twice a year is all I can tolerate to deal with it.

I would go every six months or every oil change which ever comes first with a good quality grease.

I've got a Spicer u-joint on the main driveshaft on my Mitsubishi, and I'm going to be following the 3,000 mile recommendation. The original u-joint lasted exactly 300,000 miles before it started making weird noises, and I replaced it last week. The service manual recommended greasing every 25,000 km (~16,000 miles) and that was what I did before it finally kicked the bucket.

New u-joint, new bolts, washers and nuts from Mitsu and I'm back on the road.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 29
Out of all the grease points on the driveshaft of my 4Runner, I notice the rear most u-joint coming out from the differential gets dirty the fastest. Could be just due to the position (eg. Low, exposed, and largest angle of movement).

Even at 3000km grease intervals, it always comes out black and looking like there's water mixed in there. Makes me feel like greasing this every oil change is not enough. Anyone notice the same?

My truck and Jeep get LOF every 2500-3000 miles. I grease the joints then. The Toyota goes 4500-5000 miles on it's oil so I gets greased then.

I tend to slack off on the front driveshaft on the Toyota because the front driveshaft only spins when in 4x4 which is not much.

Back