LUBRICATION ENGINEERS LE1605 NO LONGER GL5!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so there is a big thread on s2ki.com about lubrication engineers LE1605 being no longer rated as a GL5 gear oil. there are a few people who are thinking its mainly for marketing but would like to see if anyone knows any more info on it

HOPING INDYMAC will chime in on here!

here is the thread

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/diff-oil-weight-recommendation-2018-a-1188044/

Just off the phone with Lubrication Engineers minutes ago. Guess what? LE-1605 no longer marketed or labeled as GL5! There's a new formulation and new bottles. Sales had Engineering call me.

After a few minutes of pleasant conversation it was determined they do have a couple of GL5 hypoid gear oils. LE-703 80W-90 grade is available in quarts for $26.54, about the same price as 1605. LE-704 85W-140 is only available in a pail as the smallest unit.

I did confirm that the new LE-1605 is the "functionally the same stuff" as the old albeit in different bottles according to the engineer but they now neither list it as a GL5 nor market it for automotive use. I have a couple of bottles of the New LE-1605 as well as some Amsoil. Decision time in a couple of months.

anyone know where we could send 2 sample, of old version vs new version to have tested to see if in fact they are the same fluid and they are just doing it for marketing?? will Blackstone do this?

Last edited:
i dont know why they wouldn't spec if for GL5 either? makes no sense

is it a marketing thing? only marketing it for industrial use and not automotive?

ive been using LE1605 for years now with excellent results including lower differential temperatures

Last edited:
How did you confirm
that the new LE-1605 is the "functionally the same stuff" as the old albeit in different bottles according to the engineer but they now neither list it as a GL5 nor market it for automotive use.

It is possible that people became confused with Industrial Gear oil applicatons verses automotive hypoid differential applications of the same viscosity grade.

Without an extensive and expensive analysis there is no way you could differentiate the products.

Last edited:
someone on the forum talked to one of the engineers at Lubrication Engineers and what i quoted in the OP is what he was told

GL-5 is specifically for hypoid gears. If the lubricant does not meet this requirement, whether for automotive use or not, then I would not use it.

Nice to see a familiar face from S2Ki on BITOG! I've been running LE-1605 in my S for years. If not Blackstone, I don't know who else would.

hey gofast182 nice to see you on here as well, yes ive been running le1605 for years now with no issues and would like to continue to use it, but not sure why they now dont classify it as a gl5. i guess the only way to find out is have BLACKSTONE do a VOA on a sample of new "white bottle old forula" vs "new bottle formula" good thing i still have a few white bottles left lol

Last edited:
what im saying is can blackstone do a VOA on a fresh sample of old bottled fluid vs a sample of new bottle fluid to see if they are identical? basically we are trying to find out if the new bottled stuff is exactly the same as the older stuff. looking to see if LE just did away with specifying this was a GL5 so it wouldn't be used for automotive and only for industrial gear applications

I did confirm that the new LE-1605 is the "functionally the same stuff" as the old albeit in different bottles according to the engineer but they now neither list it as a GL5 nor market it for automotive use. I have a couple of bottles of the New LE-1605 as well as some Amsoil. Decision time in a couple of months.

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
what im saying is can blackstone do a VOA on a fresh sample of old bottled fluid vs a sample of new bottle fluid to see if they are identical? basically we are trying to find out if the new bottled stuff is exactly the same as the older stuff. looking to see if LE just did away with specifying this was a GL5 so it wouldn't be used for automotive and only for industrial gear applications...

The answer is no, a $28X2 analysis cannot provide enough useable data to differentiate chemistry or product application.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back