Lubricants that Trans Am racing teams use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the Trans Am race at Heartland Park in Topeka, Kansas yesterday and noticed the lubricants some of the teams were using. Really surprised to see one team using plain old Castrol Syntec. Not a racing variety type, just the plain off the shelf stuff you get at the store. Not the German or Belgium made either, plain old US made Syntec.

Watched one team tear down a tranny and they were using Red Line. Thats what most were using. One was even using Pennzoil right off the shelf.

I was really shocked to see some teams using the same stuff the everyday driver uses. If I had that much invested in a vehicle for racing it sure would not be the same stuff I put in my daily driver. I would want something more robust for the punishment these cars are given.

The JAGS gave a really good show. They placed 1st,2nd,3rd. After that were the Corvettes. I was in awe how they could hold on while competing with the Jags. Mustangs gave a poor showing.

There are always rumors about so-called OTC jugs containing super juice.

Did the containers match the sponsor names?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
There are always rumors about so-called OTC jugs containing super juice.

Did the containers match the sponsor names?
smile.gif

he he, I well remember the TWR Jags here 20 years ago for Bathurst, Castrol emblazoned while mechanics with Castrol overalls tipped Motul into a V12....
lol.gif

The lubricants that I saw being used came out of original containers. Thats what really struck me as being odd. I thought these teams would be hiding what type of lubes being used. Joey Scarallo's team used Castrol Syntec. Saw them open the case. That seemed odd how no one used oil out of a drum with any of the teams.

One team did it the same way with the Red Line. I even looked at the bottle of tranny lube to make sure. Same stuff we can get off the shelf.

I just thought these guys were more high tech than this but, it is a cheaper type of racing than say Formula 1. Most of the cars looked pretty beat up also. The rigs hauling the cars and equipment looked brand new in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back