Lubricants for car windows

Lots of old cars get slow windows. Sometimes you have to change the motor, but it seems like you could extend the life by lubing the edges of the window with something.

Is there anything that works to reduce friction of glass on rubber, without gumming up and getting even worse? What about silicone spray? Teflon or graphite dry lube? Candle wax? Car wax?

It's not so much the edge of the glass but the x-shaped regulator channels that need lubrication. The regulator "should" keep the glass aligned. If the window frame is doing it, something is worn/ off.

+1 on the regulator post above.

if I felt the need to try to lube the channels, 303 aerospace treatment, applied into the groove with a q-tip, or possibly Honda shin-etsu grease, would probably be where I’d start.

Reactions: hrv
I have sprayed that superslickstuff or Houdini down the sides rubber/channels when the window is down and work it up and down

Wipe window off if necessary

Easiest thing to try first and the odor isn’t offensive

I've been using silicone spray in all my door glass run channels for years.

1663777764239.jpg

I used to use Prestone silicone spray in the yellow can. They don't make it anymore to my knowledge. It was a silicone spray that did not have a greasy base. It "dried" and left a slick coating. I'd like to find a silicone spray like that again.

The window glass should barely touch the channel in the door when the regulator is working properly. If the glass is dragging / sticking on the channel, the regulator mechanism needs to be adjusted or replaced.

Silicone spray residue will interfere with painting the car. It's very difficult to remove.

The window glass should barely touch the channel in the door when the regulator is working properly. If the glass is dragging / sticking on the channel, the regulator mechanism needs to be adjusted or replaced.

Silicone spray residue will interfere with painting the car. It's very difficult to remove.
Any real body shop will not have an issue with that

303 aerospace treatment, applied into the groove with a q-tip, or possibly Honda shin-etsu grease, would probably be where I’d start.
I used 303 on a squeeky window / door seal once and it fixed the problem plus the window went up and down alot easier. Only problem was the film on the window it left behind for a few weeks after.

Back