Lubing Hyper Tough Ratchets.

seems like pawl spring pressure is what determines a ratchets lube preference..some like grease, some like oil.
motor oil always works well on almost any round head, including sk. super lube does seem to be the best for snap on and most sealed ratchets.

Would ATF be so much better than say 5W-30 to soak the ratchets in?
I recall reading somewhere, that 5w30 is OK but might cause issues with some ratchets [very fine tooth] in very cold weather. I have no first hand experience with that, so I can't confirm nor deny that. But that is why ATF is preferred by a lot of people, they say it is much more ratchet friendly in cold weather.

On a related note, which ATF would you recommend for ratchets? At this time I have Maxlife and Amalie, and both smell pretty bad. I would prefer not to have a stinky ratchet!

I recall reading somewhere, that 5w30 is OK but might cause issues with some ratchets [very fine tooth] in very cold weather. I have no first hand experience with that, so I can't confirm nor deny that. But that is why ATF is preferred by a lot of people, they say it is much more ratchet friendly in cold weather.

What is defined as very cold weather? I would probably think that the ratchet manufacturer would be thrilled that you're actually lubricating it.

I just lubed my ~20 year old Craftsman ratchets for the very first time so I'll try not to overthink the process.

What is defined as very cold weather? I would probably think that the ratchet manufacturer would be thrilled that you're actually lubricating it.

I just lubed my ~20 year old Craftsman ratchets for the very first time so I'll try not to overthink the process.
As I said I can't confirm nor deny it. As far as define very cold weather, I guess that depends on who you ask. I like the cold, OTOH anything below 70F is cold to my wife.

Hello all. I recently got these ratchets from the clearance aisle at my local Walmart. They were only $12 for the entire set. They appear to be about the same quality as the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh ratchets, heck they might be the same maker with a different logo stamped on them.

My question is, has anyone tried to take the back cover off? I like to lube my ratchets as a LOT of manufacturers simply leave the gears almost dry. There are two T-10 torx screws on the front, but the back where there is a single torx screw there looks to be a peened over rivet of some kind.

I was able to take the screws out of the from and squirt some oil in the mechanism, I gather this will probably be good enough.

Thanks.
Good find and buy.. i lube my ratchets with lubriplate no 105 motor assembly grease or superlube synthetic grease. my older ratchets with less teeth seem to like the lubriplate newer stuff with the 72teeth etc like the superlube.

I'll go out on a limb and say you don't have to do anything with them except use them. They ship them ready to use. Unless it says oil before use. I think these are very nice Proto syle pawl ratchets, I have a couple Kobalts that look the same and they are excellent. Low back drag and all that.

I have some ATF+4 for a vehicle that I no longer own, maybe this will be a good use for it. I've never lubed a ratcheting wrench before, but I'm game to try it.

I have some ATF+4 for a vehicle that I no longer own, maybe this will be a good use for it. I've never lubed a ratcheting wrench before, but I'm game to try it.
Certain wrenches benefit a lot from lubing them.

[warning, off topic content]

I had a DT Swiss ratcheting rear bicycle hub a while back. It could have used some more lubrication also. After riding through a few torrential rainstorms in NW France, the ratchets failed, leaving me stranded on a hill in the middle of nowhere in France.

I'm still whining about this after 14 years. Ruined my vacation. Needless to say I will never use this brand of hub again. It's a great concept, the engagement from freewheeling to pedaling is much faster with 42 ratchets than with the normal 3-4 pawls as used by Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo, but if they can't seal it correctly against water intrusion, it's of no use anywhere other than the desert.

The knurled handle does make it easier to grip.

I was able to take the screws out of the front and use my needle oil bottle to squirt oil in. I gather that if the teeth strip on the ratchet just throw it away,
the handle to switch dierection is a press fit, you can just split it and push back in when you're done and assembling.

Back