Lubing Hyper Tough Ratchets.

Hello all. I recently got these ratchets from the clearance aisle at my local Walmart. They were only $12 for the entire set. They appear to be about the same quality as the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh ratchets, heck they might be the same maker with a different logo stamped on them.

My question is, has anyone tried to take the back cover off? I like to lube my ratchets as a LOT of manufacturers simply leave the gears almost dry. There are two T-10 torx screws on the front, but the back where there is a single torx screw there looks to be a peened over rivet of some kind.

I was able to take the screws out of the from and squirt some oil in the mechanism, I gather this will probably be good enough.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 78fef230-73e4-49a7-8b90-7c551560733a.aea0bc34b9c40cd9fedae21896f26e9e.jpeg
    78fef230-73e4-49a7-8b90-7c551560733a.aea0bc34b9c40cd9fedae21896f26e9e.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 69
  • e46e17ee-4f10-400e-8695-42798c30f078.dc33c9842388d07481aec660ffe426fe.jpeg
    e46e17ee-4f10-400e-8695-42798c30f078.dc33c9842388d07481aec660ffe426fe.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 68
Haven’t seen the ones with the knurled handle very cool. I agree drop it in some ATF and adding grease or oil to it should be just fine.

I haven’t done those but have had several other HF and Kobalt ratchets apart. I use the moly engine assembly lube. I tried regular grease once but my 1/4 ratchet wouldn’t ratchet when it was cold. I store most of my everyday use tools in a job box in my truck so they stay cold for a while.

Haven’t seen the ones with the knurled handle very cool. I agree drop it in some ATF and adding grease or oil to it should be just fine.

The knurled handle does make it easier to grip.

I was able to take the screws out of the front and use my needle oil bottle to squirt oil in. I gather that if the teeth strip on the ratchet just throw it away,

The knurled handle does make it easier to grip.

I was able to take the screws out of the front and use my needle oil bottle to squirt oil in. I gather that if the teeth strip on the ratchet just throw it away,
Lol yeah or if they offered a rebuild kit you could rebuild it. I’ve rebuilt many of my dads old ratchets but these I don’t think they would sell a rebuild kit for.

Sure and if it isnt sealed just drop the heads in a jar/can of ATF overnight or the whole weekend and take nothing apart. Let it drip out on a paper towel, wipe it off and you are good to go.

This is a very good tip, I've saved several older Craftsman ratchets that way. Let them sit a week and they're like new! Yes they make rebuild kits for them, but I doubt they're the same quality as the original internals; most of them are from the 80's.

This is a very good tip, I've saved several older Craftsman ratchets that way. Let them sit a week and they're like new! Yes they make rebuild kits for them, but I doubt they're the same quality as the original internals; most of them are from the 80's.
They don’t have Craftsman rebuild kits anymore. Unless you find one on eBay or something. They give you a whole new ratchet.

People used to brag about finding abused tools at garage sales for a buck … and take to Sears for a freebie
Lol I know. Craftsman warrantied my parking lot find ratchets so I’m pretty pleased. Not as good as USA but oh well I didn’t have to turn the old ones in since I went through them directly.

Well now I'm curious if any of my old ratchets can be taken apart and lubed. Some have been used for decades without any service done to them.

A lot of people poo poo ATF as a ratchet lube but ATF is a great lube for non sealed ratchets, you figure ATF is even used in some manual transmissions that are all gears in there and they last a lifetime so it obviously protects gear teeth.
The other thing is it really reduces back drag better than any other lube I have use. This is huge, there is nothing worst than having a loose bolt in a area you cant get your fingers in and the ratchet just moves the bolt back and forth.

Back in the day when I was doing this every day I would throw the ratchets in the ATF on Friday at the end of the day and start working with them on Monday and never had any problems with the tools.

That’s a great idea sitting the ratchet in ATF... I usually remove the cover and smear a fingers worth of lubriplate no. 105 assembly grease on the gears.

Back