Lubegard overfill worry (Hyundai)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I'm trying to figure out if I have to drain/suck some fluid out before I add my lubegard additive or just simply add it (as its only 8oz i'm adding)?

There site says: Lubegard PLATINUM
Quote:
For normal applications, add 1 oz. (29.6 mL) per quart (Liter) of ATF to the total transmission capacity (including torque converter) with motor idling in park. Do not overfill. D

Thanks

Where is the fluid level now on the dipstick? I try and avoid overfilling an AT. A few ounces over or under is usually not a problem, the key is to have an accurate reading though. Some people don't know how to check the transmission fluid level accurately and that can pose a real problem sometimes.

If your AT is currently 'FULL' I would drain some before adding the LG. If you are in between the 'ADD' and 'FULL' marks you could probably just add the 8 ounces. I would prefer not to overfill my tranny.

I'd be cautious not to overfill.
Proper ATF level is key to proper shifting and more importantly, insures proper wear on the tranny.

Do not overfill, ever!

I'd definitely drain some out before adding more if your as close to the top mark as possible.

Having new quality ATF will do better job than additive, I'd just drain a qrt or two and add new ATF instead of lubeguard. Additive is thing of past, any high quality ATF will do better job at protecting your tranny.

Last edited:
I add a bottle of lubegaurd red to my 01 Escape after every 30k service at the dealer. I've never drained any. The car has over 200k on the original trans, shifts like new. This trans is not known for long service.

Which vehicle and does it have a sealed tranny or does it have a dipstick? If its sealed, I would only put in the same amount that you drain out...

Last edited:
Anybody who thinks Lubgard is a waste of money has clearly never used it.
LGRed reduced the ammount of metal shavings in my magnefine - drastically - compared to 90% new fluid flush.

This stuff is one of the few additives that actually has a positive benefit in an automatic trans.

8oz added to 8 quarts, is an overfill of 6%.
Shoot an email to a few manufacturers and see what they say about that. Don't specify its an additive b/c that would bias their reply. State that you believe you overfilled your trans by a 1/2 qt.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Shoot an email to a few manufacturers and see what they say about that. Don't specify its an additive b/c that would bias their reply. State that you believe you overfilled your trans by a 1/2 qt.

Ooops, missed that a bit, didn't you? Works out to more like 3% or so. Either way it is well within any normal tolerances...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: surfstar

Ooops, missed that a bit, didn't you? Works out to more like 3% or so. Either way it is well within any normal tolerances...

Ha! I think my brain was thinking in pints (a much better way to measure!). Good catch and at 3%, definitely not something to worry about for the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back