Lube Recommendations for 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Tacoma Auto 4x4 v6 TRD with 140,000 miles

HISTORY

Bought it in December (4,000 miles ago). There were two previous owners. I bought it from the second owner, a 17 year old kid who only had it until he got his actual license and his parents found out how much it was going to cost to insure. He managed to thrash it pretty well though in the short time he had it while playing in the mud including clogging the rear differential breather and blowing an rear axle seal and somehow peeling the skid plate off. I have no maintenance records. I took it to a mechanic shortly after buying it and they noted nothing of particular concern regarding the fluids stating they were all in good condition. Transmission seems a tiny bit rough, and there’s weird stuff going on in the driveline, but it’s probably related to a bad drive shaft support, the rear slip yoke needing grease, and the rear brakes needing adjustment.

DRIVING HABITS

Right now, I live in San Diego, and I drive 40 miles round trip to work 5 days a week which takes me 45 minutes to an hour so traffic is a pain. I also take maybe 2.5 trips a month of maybe 800 to 1,000 miles round trip. I plan to use the truck on dusty and rough dirt roads on approaches to camping and backpacking trips and in the snow, but probably not any serious rock crawling, Rubicon style [censored]. I might also be changing careers this April and will probably spend a while between jobs driving cross-country.

QUESTIONS

Looking for recommendations for motor oil and lube for the transfer case and differentials, and also advice on transmission fluid.

Gear Lube. I already bought enough AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 to do the diffs and transfer. I am happy with the choice. Should I somehow flush them beforehand though? Maybe someone can link me to a credible write up on how best to do that.

Motor Oil. I also bought 2 gallons of ”AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil” and an ”AMSOIL Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter” (Part No. EA15K51-EA) and some “AMSOIL Engine & Transmission Flush.” I’m less sure about those choices, but that’s what you’re here for. I also have an OEM filter coming that I bought before I decided on synthetic. Before switching, would I benefit from an oil analysis? Again, should I flush with cheap oil, use the AMSOIL flush, what?

Transmission Fluid. Haven’t bought anything for this yet. Analysis recommended? Recommendations for fluid? At some point, I’m probably going to drop the pan, replace the filter, empty it fully and refill. Here’s the procedure I’ll do: http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjackie/transmission flush/tranny.html

Drive Line Grease. While we’re at it, I migh as well ask for advice on grease for the drive line. Service manual say to use:
* Universal Joint - NLGI No. 2 Lithium Base Chassis Grease
* Slide Yoke & Double Cardon Joint Grease - NLGI No. 2 Molybdenum Disulfide Lithium Base Chassis Grease

Thanks!

Maxlife ATF for the transmission; speced for DexIII

edit:super well regarded fluid; my friend has it in her 2002 Tundra with the same transmission; she likes the way it changed the shift

Last edited:
Mag-Hytec has a diff flush procedure that might not be a bad idea on this truck before filling with Amsoil. It's easy to do with your differential since you have a fill and drain plug (always take the fill plug out first). It basically says to:

-Drive the truck to get the current fluid warm.
- Lift the truck and drain the fluid completely.
- Fill with SAE 20 turbine/compressor oil or SAE 20 non detergent engine oil. While still lifted, put the truck in gear and allow it to run unloaded for 15 minutes.
- Drain the flush oil completely and refill with the Amsoil.
- You're done.

Thanks simple_gifts for the advice on the transmission fluid. I will check it out. I'll be doing that about a month down the line. Should I get an analysis on the transmission fluid before hand and if so where is a good place to send it?

I'll probably be changing the gear oil this weekend if the weather cooperates. Thanks INDYMAC, I like that flush procedure. However, I don't have a lift of course and will be using jackstands if I need to lift it at all. I guess I would use ramps to get the front level? And then I'd drain it, fill it with the SAE 20, then shift to drive and just leave it for the 15 minutes? How about the front differential and transfer case? Same thing, just have it in 4wd for the front diff? If any of them need flushing, it's probably the rear diff that needs it the most given the condition of the breather and the fact it's been driven in mud and water.

And then I'm still looking for answers on motor oil and drive line lube (see the original post).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back