LSPI - Do we have the “Solution”, or it is still a project in the making?

I have to agree with what many others have said. Don’t lug the engine. Turn off the ECO button, if your car has one. I won’t run 87 octane in either of my cars. There is no oil that will prevent LSPI.

It's why the auto makers want to do away with 87 octane. They know Bubba Dumb will fill his $48K Silverado with 87 octane gas no matter if it requires 93 octane and break the piston ring lands.... as a result.
And if you think GM is the only one wanting 87 octane to go away, think again.

Or.....pushing people into higher priced gas might sway them to their electric vehicle push. Just sayin.

My engine isn't a turbo, but it is a GDI with an 11:1 compression ratio. It's always knocked on 87 octane. I think in a lot of modern engines 87 is too low. It's like an extra $2-$3 to fill up with 89 or 93, easy fix.

I wish it was only $2-3 per full up for 91 octane. They get an additional $.60 - .70 per gallon here, with a 36 gallon tank that adds up quick.

I wish it was only $2-3 per full up for 91 octane. They get an additional $.60 - .70 per gallon here, with a 36 gallon tank that adds up quick.
Yeah it is here too, but my tank only holds 11.4 gallons, now that I think about it though it's more like an extra $4. Still, I can go about 370 miles on a tank so not a huge difference for me.

I've tried everything under the sun to get it to not knock on 87, but it just doesn't like it, even though the car was supposedly designed for 87. I don't think it's LSPI though, it mainly does it at higher RPM at 40mph and above. Depending on where I get the gas, 89 is usually enough to avoid knock. I try to avoid cheap gas anyways, I have no idea why but GDI seems very sensitive to fuel quality. Many times I have filled it with cheap/random gas and it idles weird or feels like it's missing. If I stick to Irving, Citgo, Mobil, or Shell, I never have problems. Speedway (which I believe is hess gas) and Al Prime run like crap no matter what grade I put in. No clue why.

Last edited:
Yeah it is here too, but my tank only holds 11.4 gallons, now that I think about it though it's more like an extra $4. Still, I can go about 370 miles on a tank so not a huge difference for me.

I've tried everything under the sun to get it to not knock on 87, but it just doesn't like it, even though the car was supposedly designed for 87. I don't think it's LSPI though, it mainly does it at higher RPM at 40mph and above. Depending on where I get the gas, 89 is usually enough to avoid knock. I try to avoid cheap gas anyways, I have no idea why but GDI seems very sensitive to fuel quality. Many times I have filled it with cheap/random gas and it idles weird or feels like it's missing. If I stick to Irving, Citgo, Mobil, or Shell, I never have problems. Speedway (which I believe is hess gas) and Al Prime run like crap no matter what grade I put in. No clue why.
It is not. LSPI is result of low rpm's and high boost. You do not have turbo.

My super knock codes went away when
I changed from SN to SN+ oil about a year ago.
2009 MINI JCW Clubman.

It's why the auto makers want to do away with 87 octane. They know Bubba Dumb will fill his $48K Silverado with 87 octane gas no matter if it requires 93 octane and break the piston ring lands.... as a result.
And if you think GM is the only one wanting 87 octane to go away, think again.

They had better lower the premium fuel prices if they ever plan to do this, and I imagine they will. I would have some fears with the usual “growing pains” from manufacturers as they figure out how to build the car/engine and work out the little kinks along the way (as we are the guinea pigs).

So let’s pretend this takes 3-5 to happen...then it takes 3-5 years for them to refine this and make everything reliable. That puts us ten years from now...and in 15 years most everything is going electric? Well, let’s just say that things could get really interesting over the next 20 years.

They had better lower the premium fuel prices if they ever plan to do this, and I imagine they will. I would have some fears with the usual “growing pains” from manufacturers as they figure out how to build the car/engine and work out the little kinks along the way (as we are the guinea pigs).

So let’s pretend this takes 3-5 to happen...then it takes 3-5 years for them to refine this and make everything reliable. That puts us ten years from now...and in 15 years most everything is going electric? Well, let’s just say that things could get really interesting over the next 20 years.
If they just get rid of 87 octane then no one will have a price to compare to the 91/93 and there will be no reason to piss and moan. The price will be the price and you won't know whether its more or less than it could be.

I what would the MFG's need to change? My 2014 F150 Ecoboost runs on 87 fine, but it has the intellegence in the PCM to take full advantage of 91 octane and then some. Timing advances and torque requests increase.

If they just get rid of 87 octane then no one will have a price to compare to the 91/93 and there will be no reason to piss and moan. The price will be the price and you won't know whether its more or less than it could be.

I what would the MFG's need to change? My 2014 F150 Ecoboost runs on 87 fine, but it has the intellegence in the PCM to take full advantage of 91 octane and then some. Timing advances and torque requests increase.
The article says what the manufacturers would need to change...compression ratios, pistons, add turbos, change the parameters of timing, combustion chamber design, etc. Some cars of course are already there and designed for it, others not.

And if they just get rid of 87? They can’t, there’s still millions of cars that run on it.

90 octane as regular like in europe could help
Only European “octane” is the RON # and we use “pump” octane #s which are the average of RON and the lower number MON octane rating of a fuel.
So European 90 RON octane regular “sounds“ better than our “87 pump“ octane regular, but it ain’t!

Only European “octane” is the RON # and we use “pump” octane #s which are the average of RON and the lower number MON octane rating of a fuel.
So European 90 RON octane regular “sounds“ better than our “87 pump“ octane regular, but it ain’t!
i translated it for us. 95 RON = 90 R+M/2 as used here

808x473_cmsv2_3349b5d1-3bdc-5f34-b200-1638b5555e0d-3371582.jpg

Back