Lower Oil pressue and lifter noise with GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
40 K on a 2001 Camaro . Owner had run Valvoline 5W-30 synthetic, and mechanic switched to GC.

Complaints are lower oil pressure at idle and speed, lifter noise, and oil is very dirty at 2K.

My first thought was the GC is cleaning better, and there is some dirt moving off parts.

Owner also said engine ran better with GC, so I wonder if he may have over revved?

Much better add-pack with GC could explain the dirtier oil. He may have overtaxed the Valvoline running it too long & it thickened with higher oil pressure.... I dunno! I believe either oil or gas dilution can cause it to thicken with higher pressure too.... again without a UOA - there's no telling.

Never heard of a high quality oil like GC creating lifter ticks. If it just started ticking, it's because all the gunk that wasn't moved by Valvoline - is now traveling thru the engine with GC. If the mechanic is proposing that Valvoline synthetic is better than GC, then I suggest you seek another mechanic.

Quote:

Much better add-pack with GC could explain the dirtier oil. He may have overtaxed the Valvoline running it too long & it thickened with higher oil pressure.... I dunno! I believe either oil or gas dilution can cause it to thicken with higher pressure too.... again without a UOA - there's no telling.

Never heard of a high quality oil like GC creating lifter ticks. If it just started ticking, it's because all the gunk that wasn't moved by Valvoline - is now traveling thru the engine with GC. If the mechanic is proposing that Valvoline synthetic is better than GC, then I suggest you seek another mechanic.

No, the mechanic was just checking with me to make sure the GC 0W-30 wasn't the problem.

I said to drop ARX in the oil and drain in 1500 miles.

But he decided to change the oil at 2K and run a fresh quality filter and fresh GC with 6 oz of LC-20.

Seemed like a valid option either way.

I do think the GC is cleaning the engine, just like Redline does in some engines.

Its not uncommon for engine parts to start making themselves known when they are getting clean and properly lubricated for the first time in ages.I have never heard of GC causing any engine noise that would damage a motor.Run the car a while,i wouldn't be surprised if the noise disappeared as fast as it came.

Well the mechanic called me and said the Camaro came in on a truck today with a blown engine.

I'm guessing it had an internal problem, but I'll hear more about it when he tears the engine down.

AS you said he may have over revved the motor and damaged the bearings or some other internal parts.I doubt it was anything to do with a oil being used.

New synthetic oil will not blow an engine.......ever. Might make it leak.....but not blow it up.

That GC probably cleaned out the gunk that was holding that lifter together and without the sludge it lost its hydraulic sealing ability and collapsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back