Low viscosity oils impact on Heavy Duty Diesel eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low viscosity oils impact on Heavy Duty Diesel engine components

http://pdf.blucher.com.br.s3-sa-east-1.amazonaws.com/engineeringproceedings/simea2016/PAP20.pdf

Quote:
Increasing fuel costs and stringent emissions standards in the world became the most important challenges for the transportation industry. The use of low viscosity oils is considered an effective way to reduce fuel consumption of Heavy Duty Diesel (HDD) engines. However, the impact of oil viscosity reduction and novel additive packages needs to be better understood in durability of engine components. This paper investigated the application of a low viscosity oil SAE 10W-30 (HTHS 2.9cP) with novel formulation prepared to withstand EURO VI and OEM demands, through a 500 hours durability dynamometer test with extended oil drainage interval. The main tribo system such as liner-rings-piston, rod bushing-pin-piston and rod-bearing-crankcase were evaluated in terms of wear impact by visual and dimensional analyzes. The results obtained with low viscosity oil test were compared with the same engine components which were tested with typical SAE15W-40 oil (HTHS 3.7cP min.) applied in EURO V/VI HDD engines. From the comparative analyses, it was possible to identify some engine components that do not require design updates or technologies changes. For others, it was possible to anticipate performance issues that will demand new design and or material upgrades. Oil analyses were done each 50h of test. The oil degradation due to the extended drainage time is discussed in this paper.

Got some holes in it, like "excessive leakage" in the 15W40 tests requiring regular replenishment of the oil messing up the TBN/TAN testing, and therefore having to add the "wear metals" trends.

Thanks Shannow. I'm glad to see whatever testing is available. That's the first test of the low vis oil I've seen and it's a good start. I'm in a position to try the 2.9 cSt oils but I think I will stay away for now. I look forward to learning more as time goes on as I find the use of such low viscosity oil in these big diesels fascinating.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How do we know know if the Powerstroke 6.7 has been redesigned for 10W30 or best to continue with a 15W40 or 5W40?

I know the manual says you can use a 10W30.

You can use CJ-4/CK-4 (3.5 HTHS) versions of 10W30. This testing was for FA-4 (2.9 HTHS) type oils vs 15W40 oils. I doubt the Powerstroke will ever be able to use the FA-4 oils, but who knows?

Always in a hurry....I said 2.9 cSt in previous post. I meant HTHS, not cSt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I'm in a position to try the 2.9 cSt oils

Whoops....I meant 2.9 HTHS. I'm always breezing through and in my haste I made a boo boo.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Low viscosity oils impact on Heavy Duty Diesel engine components

http://pdf.blucher.com.br.s3-sa-east-1.amazonaws.com/engineeringproceedings/simea2016/PAP20.pdf

Quote:
Increasing fuel costs and stringent emissions standards in the world became the most important challenges for the transportation industry. The use of low viscosity oils is considered an effective way to reduce fuel consumption of Heavy Duty Diesel (HDD) engines. However, the impact of oil viscosity reduction and novel additive packages needs to be better understood in durability of engine components. This paper investigated the application of a low viscosity oil SAE 10W-30 (HTHS 2.9cP) with novel formulation prepared to withstand EURO VI and OEM demands, through a 500 hours durability dynamometer test with extended oil drainage interval. The main tribo system such as liner-rings-piston, rod bushing-pin-piston and rod-bearing-crankcase were evaluated in terms of wear impact by visual and dimensional analyzes. The results obtained with low viscosity oil test were compared with the same engine components which were tested with typical SAE15W-40 oil (HTHS 3.7cP min.) applied in EURO V/VI HDD engines. From the comparative analyses, it was possible to identify some engine components that do not require design updates or technologies changes. For others, it was possible to anticipate performance issues that will demand new design and or material upgrades. Oil analyses were done each 50h of test. The oil degradation due to the extended drainage time is discussed in this paper.

Got some holes in it, like "excessive leakage" in the 15W40 tests requiring regular replenishment of the oil messing up the TBN/TAN testing, and therefore having to add the "wear metals" trends.

But they also state 150 hours is the OEM recommended interval for 15w-40. Looks like they introduced a leak after 300 hours (drain plug issues?) and were forced to change the oil at 350 hours rather than 450 hours?

I don't agree with their statement that the 15w-40 would only have 300 hours of life in it beore tbn dropped low. The first 150 hours both oils degraded at the same rate, there's no reason that it would have been different after that. Of course new oilalways sacrifices a bit of it's TBN early in the OCI, and that's what their results show for both oils.

I doubt the Powerstroke will ever be able to use the FA-4 oils, but who knows?

They haven't even gotten their heads wrapped around the CK-4 thing, yet, let alone FA-4.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I doubt the Powerstroke will ever be able to use the FA-4 oils, but who knows?

They haven't even gotten their heads wrapped around the CK-4 thing, yet, let alone FA-4.
wink.gif

laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back