Low VII 5w30

Any full synthetic 10W30
OP,
A full synthetic 10W30 would be very low in VII and 10Wx is good down to 0F (-20C). Get one that's API SP and you should be covered for LSPI issues with any modern TurboDI car.
Would that do?

Otherwise high PAO would be my next best guess for a 5W30, which is reading the MSDS tea leaves a bit, but M1 EP & AP seems to have more PAO than vanilla M1. Going by previous comments posted here.

Then you have the exotic stuff like HPL, Amsoil or RedLine, which use good base stock, which should suggest less VII is required.

The tricky point here is that more shear stable VII are less efficient, so more is needed for the same effect. So does oil "X" use a large amount of shear stable VII, or a lesser amount of efficient but more shear prone VII? They don't tell us that much info on the average spec sheet. Nobody outside the industry really knows.

I've only used 0W-40's twice.
M1 FS Euro 0W-40
Castrol Euro A3/B4 0W-40

both good oils I assume but now back to my roots. i.e. 10W-30
Granted I am running Kirkland 5W-30 in one car right now.

I like M1 EP 10W-30. Low vm, good Noack and hardly burns none it seems like.

Just a question cause I need to be informed. The CCS numbers are low. Would that indicate less VII?
To me the opposite, but I'm just guessing here.

Many modern resource conserving oils, ILSAC & dexos1, seem to be going for the lower end of the winter (W) grade, to perform better on the standard fuel economy tests. So it seems.

One way to do this is to use more thin base stock to lower the CCS numbers, then add more VII to up the KV100 viscosity in compensation. But again, more of a simple guess, in a complex field.

Recall many of the affordable full synthetic oils now days are made on Group III, as PAO is more expensive. But Group III base stock mostly comes as 4, 6 and 8 cSt, meaning a G-III 5W30 with a KV100 of 10 cSt needs VII to make it a 30 grade oil. Now a G-III 5W20 would be a very nice oil, except this seems to be falling out of fashion, with 0W20 being the preferred grade. Back to the same issue.

Here is a typical list of Group III base stock out of Vertex / Penthol Texas.
Viscosity at 100C: 4.24, 5.84, 7.87 cSt.
Viscosity at 40C: 18.92, 30.41, 47.25 cSt.
Viscosity Index: 132, 139, 136 VI.
Flash Point: 230, 238, 270 C.
Pour Point: -25, -23, -21 C.
CCS at -30C: 1168, 3118, 6795 cP. (note all at the same temperature)
Noack: 13.7, 7.5, 2.3 %

So as you lower the CCS you are also dropping the KV100 but raising the Noack volatility. As @OilUzer said above, low Noack is the figure to look for.

Ref (G-III and G-II for comparison):

Last edited:
My wager’s on Red Line and PP/PUP. The latter due to Shell’s use of their GTL XHVI basestocks but they still use some VII.

I’d avoid a Japanese 5W-30 if VII is an concern. though I have good luck with Idemitsu, they tend to use Star-shaped methacrylate VIIs which can be “dirty” compared to olefin types when it comes to deposits.

Look at the VII column for the calculated VII amount.

My wager’s on Red Line and PP/PUP. The latter due to Shell’s use of their GTL XHVI basestocks but they still use some VII.
Definitely RedLine, as they make (or use to make) a PAO Group-IV oil that was simultaneously a SAE 30 monograde and a 10W30 multigrade all in one. Because of labelling rules, they had to pick one (10W30) but it was VII (viscosity index improvers) free, so also a monograde.

However, GTL is a subset of Group III, some call it GroupIII+, so you have all the same concerns as above. Sure GTL comes with a higher VI (viscosity index) but only as a lower viscosity base stock. According to the article below, Shell only make 3,4 and 6 cSt GTL base oils. Unlike how you can easily get PAO base stock at 12 cSt.

So the question remains, how do you make a 5W30 with a KV100 of 10 cSt out of 6 cSt GTL base stock without using polymer VII to raise the final viscosity?

Definitely RedLine, as they make (or use to make) a PAO Group-IV oil that was simultaneously a SAE 30 monograde and a 10W30 multigrade all in one. Because of labelling rules, they had to pick one (10W30) but it was VII (viscosity index improvers) free, so also a monograde.

However, GTL is a subset of Group III, some call it GroupIII+, so you have all the same concerns as above. Sure GTL comes with a higher VI (viscosity index) but only as a lower viscosity base stock. According to the article below, Shell only make 3,4 and 6 cSt GTL base oils. Unlike how you can easily get PAO base stock at 12 cSt.

So the question remains, how do you make a 5W30 with a KV100 of 10 cSt out of 6 cSt GTL base stock without using polymer VII to raise the final viscosity?

Nice info… Curious when that article came out. PUP 0w20 has 172 VI

Nice info… Curious when that article came out. PUP 0w20 has 172 VI
I think the article itself is a few years old, but I don’t think the info contained is dated. I’ve looked around a few times, and I can’t find any indication of thick GTL. The F-T process that makes GTL is well know, and the plant is already made and in production. Much of the production going to thinner fuels not thicker lubricants.

Yes, when you add a VII to a base oil, the VI of the final product goes up.

I should add, that when you look at many of the original presentations showing how close GTL is to PAO in making a fully formulated oil. Good Noack, VI, oxidation stability etc. they are always comparing two fully formulated 5W20s (or maybe 0W16), why? Because this shows GTL at its best, which makes sense. They never compare a PAO 10W60 to a GTL 10W60 for the obvious reasons.

BTW note how everyone says PP 5W30 is a very thin 30 grade, which it is. But this makes sense to me, as it makes use of the natural GTL benefits.

Which 5w30 oils on the shelves right now are low in vii?
1) Valvoline Advanced 5W30 (VII = 2.29%)
2) PPPP 5W30 (VII = 2.93%)
3) Quaker State Synthetic 5W30 (VII = 5.62%)
4) Castrol EDGE 5W30 (VII = 7.53%)
5) M1 5W30 (VII = 8.38%)

*I have a GDI engine and low VII's are important (along with lower NOACK) to keep intake valves clean .
**Above specs from SN+ rated synthetic oils - I would like to think SP oil ratings would be close .

1) Valvoline Advanced 5W30 (VII = 2.29%)
2) PPPP 5W30 (VII = 2.93%)
3) Quaker State Synthetic 5W30 (VII = 5.62%)
4) Castrol EDGE 5W30 (VII = 7.53%)
5) M1 5W30 (VII = 8.38%)

*I have a GDI engine and low VII's are important (along with lower NOACK) to keep intake valves clean .
**Above specs from SN+ rated synthetic oils - I would like to think SP oil ratings would be close .
See that’s the thing not sure if SP changes things.

Back