Low usage, short trip oil?

I inherited my dad's 1998 Chevy Silverado with 5.7L Vortec in 2011. It had 22K miles on it when I started driving it. Now it has 43K miles. As you can see, it doesn't get driven much. When it does get driven it's usually just for a 15 mile round trip into town or maybe a 10 mile round trip to our other property. The only time it really gets heated up is maybe every other month if I go somewhere to buy lumber or haul something.

I change the oil and filter once a year but I'm wondering if there's a particular type of oil I should be using that is optimized for this sort of usage?

So 21000 miles in 8 years? That's only about 2600 miles/year. I'd be inclined to use a decent synthetic and go 2 years between changes.

That said, dustington's suggestion of using dino is sound....any dino oil should be good to go for under 3000 miles. If you want to save some $$, grab yourself some Supertech or Havoline.....

This sounds like a opportunity for another product line of oils. We have turbo and truck oil so why not a short distance oil?

Mobil 1 City.

^^^^^^^^^^

lol.gif

Use the correct specified oil weight. No big deal there. In 98, it was probably just 5W-30. Since you're not driving it much, the truck is never under load; you don't need to worry about anything special. You can use the least expensive oil and filter combination. Or use whatever brand you like. You're essentially just waiting it out. Waiting for the oil to sit in the engine for another year, before you drain it and recycle it. Changing the oil once a year is fine. It could go longer. Maybe not. Read a little bit more about oxidation, and you will understand why you can't leave the oil in there for years and years.

Someone will tell you to leave the oil in the engine longer. Someone will tell you to buy very expensive synthetic oil, and leave it in there a really long time. Most of these answers will be someone suggesting a certain brand, formulation, and oil weight - and it will all be based upon their personal preference.

Change the filter with the oil. Some people will argue that you can leave the filter. I say, just change it.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
I inherited my dad's 1998 Chevy Silverado with 5.7L Vortec in 2011. It had 22K miles on it when I started driving it. Now it has 43K miles. As you can see, it doesn't get driven much. When it does get driven it's usually just for a 15 mile round trip into town or maybe a 10 mile round trip to our other property. The only time it really gets heated up is maybe every other month if I go somewhere to buy lumber or haul something.

I change the oil and filter once a year but I'm wondering if there's a particular type of oil I should be using that is optimized for this sort of usage?

My dad also owns a 98 Silverado, 350, Ext. Cab, 87K miles. He uses PYB 5W30 with an AC DELCO PF-61 oil filter, every 5K miles.
This is the only pic I have of it (taken from my drivers side mirror).

98CHEVY.jpeg

Originally Posted by oldhp
If it were mine it would get changed once a year in November. I'd probably use Pennzoil dino 5W30.

This is a good recommendation. In your application condensed water vapor is the enemy and I do not see how synthetic oil offers any advantages over conventional oil with no extreme temperatures. I do like synthetic blend oil filters like Wix or Napa Gold because the media is more resistant to water damage.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This sounds like a opportunity for another product line of oils. We have turbo and truck oil so why not a short distance oil?

Mobil 1 City.

LOL at only $50 a Jug!

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
He uses PYB 5W30 with an AC DELCO PF-61 oil filter,.

When he's not looking, you could change out that oil & filter to Motorcraft.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Mobil 1 City.

Oh that's funny, I could so see that.. how does the saying go, a fool and his money will soon be parted??🤣

Last edited:
Maybe Shell can sell a version of it also. Just like "gas truck oil". Then offer it for $24 - 5 quart jug. All of those pickup trucks, all these years, and I always wanted my own oil. How did they know? I was sick & tired of sharing oil with the girlfriend's Honda. Now I'm complete. I feel like a man. I don't need a coupon. Coupons are for housewives, sitting at home, watching Wendy Williams. Real men get $10 rebates.

Save me a place in line. Whomever brings low mileage oil to market 1st, already has me sold for the 20 quart rebate limit.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Maybe Shell can sell a version of it also. Just like "gas truck oil". Then offer it for $24 - 5 quart jug. All of those pickup trucks, all these years, and I always wanted my own oil. How did they know? I was sick & tired of sharing oil with the girlfriend's Honda. Now I'm complete. I feel like a man. I don't need a coupon. Coupons are for housewives, sitting at home, watching Wendy Williams. Real men get $10 rebates.

Save me a place in line. Whomever brings low mileage oil to market 1st, already has me sold for the 20 quart rebate limit.

👆🤣...‚🤣...‚🤣

C'mon, short trip oil is for girly men. Real men use Crisco!

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels

And when the rebate check doesn't arrive fast enough, I will complain.

Are you saying I should wait longer than 5mins after submitting, to call the customer service line??...‚

Last edited:
Love these trucks! It's great to hear you've kept it in the family. I put about 5 or 6k on my ‘98 Silverado and have started doing annual changes. This time I'm using Mobil1 HM because it was on sale plus rebates, but in the past I've run Amsoil, Chevron Supreme, Havoline, PYB, you name it and I wouldn't have any issues running a good Dino in your application. Based on the many UOA's I've read on this board, these engines seem to do just fine on PYB or Chevron Supreme and 3k-5k OCIs.

Back